PDA

View Full Version : Motor mount help

Jamesbon
06-01-2001, 08:25 AM
Fellas,
Fellow member Greg and myself are in need of advice, dealers and especially PICTURES of motor mounting solutions. I believe Greg is opting for a standard type mount which attaches to the block and stringers. As for me, I may opt for this or something like GEOO's set up. Can you please post any pictures, or ideas which may help us?

Greg has a SBC in an 66 18' and I will have a BBC in a 21 GT.

GEOO,
I'm especially interested in your set up. Do you have any pics which may help?

Forrest,
Thanks for the info on the Gil mount. I still owe you a figure on that.....I'll make the call today.

Oh yeah, both of our boats are gutted...

Thanks...Nathan

[This message has been edited by Jamesbon (edited 06-01-2001).]

GEOO
06-01-2001, 12:07 PM
Nate,
I used Glenwood Marines front and rear belhouseing engine mounts. Look in the Tech section (http://www.donzi.net/tech/DonziArneson.htm) under Arneson project for some pics. I'll try and get you more pics. You can call Glenwood direct. I think the owners name is Bob (323)757-3141. He is very helpfull. Or you can purchase the mounts thru CP Performance or Eddie Marine (http://www.eddiemarine.com). The rear belhouseing engine mount fits small or big block, they make two chevy front mounts one for BB and one for SB.(depending on year of engine block) The mounts are adjustable for stringers 22" to 26" apart. Most boats have 24" spacing. They also make a Belhouseing engine mount which fits Borg Warner Trannie.
GEOO If you have any questions call me any time (203)258-5222

[This message has been edited by GEOO (edited 06-01-2001).]

Forrest
06-01-2001, 01:44 PM
Nate, if you can use that GIL mount in the front that would be best. Short if that, if you use angle-iron type brackets on each stringer, just don't mount that big block on rubber mounts. You you do put it on rubber mounts, you risk cracking you stringers since there won't be a rigid section from one stringer to the other. As the heavy engine moves around slightly, especially in rough water, it will stress the stringers until they crack where the angle-iron attaches. This situation gets worse as the centerline of the rubber mounts are moved away from the stringer as is in the case of a Hornet. The stringers in a Hornet are further apart than that found in an 18 Donzi. I know all of this first hand, since I'm in the process of repairing cracked a stringer in my Hornet that had rubber mounts on separate stringer brackets supporting it's big-block engine. Solid mounting is the ONLY way to go.

------------------
Forrest

Jamesbon
06-01-2001, 02:05 PM
I see your point Forrest. I'll measure the distance between stringers in the GT...I bet they're farther apart than 24", as my stringers were once bowed in from the weight of the engine, hence the one piece motor mount I fabricated many years ago that spread the stringers back apart to their original location.

So, if 24" is standard, is there any problem if I add "meat" to the inside of both stringers instead of the outside?

Yesterday I saw a Grady White which had "blocks" glassed to the stringers and bottom of the hull which supported the engine mounting pads. This looked to be a viable option....Also didn't produce unwanted stress against the stringers....

Jamesbon
06-04-2001, 09:13 PM
Fellas,
My stringers are 33" apart therefor requring more ideas for engine mounts. After looking at my neighbors 24 cigarette tonight, I discovered he has not one but two sets of stringers. The outside pair were about 36" apart, the inside pair were about 25" apart. What if I beefed up the floor a little, then set a second pair of stringers about 24" apart extending from the transom to the first bulk head/gas tank bulk head? (resembling his set up) Let me know, is that feasible, or does anyone have any better idea?

I also noticed Mark G's (GT 21 with ASD6, 72C trans and SBC) small block's pulleys are just inches from the gas tank bulk head and after measuring my BBC, it's about two inches longer. I have a feeling I may have to place the tank about 5" forward, or have a new tank built that's 5" shorter. I fear that with no bulk head/tank mods, the crank pulley will be right up against the first bulk head. Shall I be concerned with the CG or do you think I'll be okay? I'm guesstimating that the BBC will be roughly 5" closer to the bow than the SBC was with the Volvo.