PDA

View Full Version : 16' Outboards

Desert Fox
06-01-2001, 06:03 AM
I am most interested in the 16' outboard as prices are high and availability scarce.
Someone said that there are only an estimated 20 16' outboards in quality condition...is there any place which would have some statistics. I understand taht ony 2000 were built between 1971 and 1974 which would make these very rare.
Thanks for any reference guidance.

olredalert
06-01-2001, 07:09 AM
If they made 2000 outboards during the entire run that would make them one of the most plentiful,not really rare.Saw a halfway decent one just a couple of days ago in Algonac(home of Chris-Craft,Garwood,Hacker,etc.)Maybe a couple will show up at the Mich.get-to-gether towmorrow.The reason you dont see many is that they tended to recieve harder use than other DONZIs!...........just.........ol red

lou
06-01-2001, 01:36 PM
Welcome to Donzi.net Desert Fox. I have a 1965 outboard that was the evinrude starflite show boat , it beloged to Gerry Walin. I have seen a red & white 69 with a mercury outboard. The early outboard were all left hand drive ( see the picture at the top ) while the later ones were right hand drive. They were mostly sold from 71 to 74 and those show up for sale on occasion, a member of this board has one up for sale ( Ken ). I was told that fewer than 900 were built, here is an ad and a picture of one that was for sale on ebay with an evinrude motor but never met the $6500 reserve .
http://www.4u2buy.com/donzi/OB1.jpg
http://www.4u2buy.com/donzi/DONZIAD.jpg

http://www.4u2buy.com/donzi/73ob16.jpg

[This message has been edited by lou (edited 06-01-2001).]

Desert Fox
06-01-2001, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by madpoodle:
No idea of the toital production #'s, but they were still building them in 78.

Mr Short

somewhere I do not want to be...

Desert Fox
06-01-2001, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by madpoodle:
No idea of the toital production #'s, but they were still building them in 78.

This is the forst I heard of any build past 1974. What do you base it on? Have you seen one verified that late?

Mr Short

somewhere I do not want to be...

olredalert
06-01-2001, 10:12 PM
When I was a dealer in 1972 the Chisholms made me get 5 boats to secure my dealership.They wanted me to order all IOs,but I didnt have the money so,because they were nice people and wanted a dealer on Cape Cod,they let me fill my quota with two outboards.At that time they told me they would only make them in white with,probobly,4 trim colors.My two were red trimmed and baby blue trimmed.I had a heck of a time selling those two.Finally I gave them to a dealer on the arm in Falmouth,and he sold em in short order.I think it was because he was a Johnson dealer,and I had no outboard dealer connections whatsoever.Of course,back then,in my misspent youth(24 years young at the time)the outboards didnt interest me at all.They had little charisma,because they made no noise probably.Wish I had been smart enough to just put one away new back then.Cant remember what I had to pay for them,but they were cheap!.........just........ol red!

marcdups
06-02-2001, 12:18 AM
hi guys, these fabulous boats are still being built in my native country, Mauritius, in the indian ocean, that how I learnt about donzi's, always wanted one and now have my own sweet sixteen, they are installing yamahas up to 225's on them and are screamers, stock are running 63 plus, but i do not believe the boat is cored, straight glass but rockets 16's only that I know of

Desert Fox
06-02-2001, 05:27 AM
I note some pictures with 200 H.P. ob's. There was some information that the early ob's (as most) were not HP rated however, plates in or about 1974 rated the hp at 115. Does anyone know?

I'm sure the 200 h.p. boats were put through the paces, especially the transom with all the torque. Someone alluded to this as a reason there may not be many around.

BigGrizzly
06-02-2001, 07:48 AM
D.Fox I am very Familiar with the OB 16 They were rated by Donzi in the broshure, the firsr line in the the specifications is "For outboard engines up to.......135 HP". There is also a silver sticker that states that either behind the rear seat back or on the panel on the rear just below the rear seat. It is also registered with the Cost Gard, I know this because one of our friends was going to upgrade, but his dad ( a lawyer) checked it out and it would void his insurance.
The original list price was $2495. Options listed were carpet-$40, shipping cover $100, shipping cradel $120, spedometer $40, tonneau Cover $80, Trailer $600, and trim tabs $320. The called it at that time the "DONZI BABY"
They were nice but didn't handle the rough stuff like the ski sporster. I renember Mike or Nick saying the ran a couple off in the 90's and there was no bites on it.

Randy

[This message has been edited by BigGrizzly (edited 06-02-2001).]

Desert Fox
06-02-2001, 08:36 AM
Thanks BG. I just calld a friend in COnn whee there's a 1974 OB 16'. He swears the Factory label up to the right of the steering wheel states "Maximum H.P. 115".

I believe you are right as to the early OB's however, it appers around 74 they max rated them @ 115. Can this be correct?

Originally posted by BigGrizzly:
D.Fox I am very Familiar with the OB 16 They were rated by Donzi in the broshure, the firsr line in the the specifications is "For outboard engines up to.......135 HP". There is also a silver sticker that states that either behind the rear seat back or on the panel on the rear just below the rear seat. It is also registered with the Cost Gard, I know this because one of our friends was going to upgrade, but his dad ( a lawyer) checked it out and it would void his insurance.
The original list price was $2495. Options listed were carpet-$40, shipping cover $100, shipping cradel $120, spedometer $40, tonneau Cover $80, Trailer $600, and trim tabs $320. The called it at that time the "DONZI BABY"
They were nice but didn't handle the rough stuff like the ski sporster. I renember Mike or Nick saying the ran a couple off in the 90's and there was no bites on it.

Randy

[This message has been edited by BigGrizzly (edited 06-02-2001).]

digitalMan
06-03-2001, 11:00 PM
That eBay photo (the boat with the dark blue interior) is mine. It has dark blue stripes, but they're painted on over light blue. I plan to remove the paint as part of a deck off restoration.

The boat has the silver sticker that's been alluded to, but it is too faded to read most of it. If the HP rating was on there, I'm glad it's gone, because it's illegal to overpower in some states.

The boat has a 150 rude with no transom plate. The transom shows no sign of stress with this power. I'm told that an aluminum transom plate was a factory installed option on this boat, and is absolutely necessary if you want to go larger than a 150.

My plan is to add a plate, a jack plate, tabs, and a 200 merc. We'll see what she does, then start building the motor. When it gets scary I'll stop. I hear 60 is scary, and I believe it. Right now she'll hit 50 with a lot of trim, and the slightest disruption will send you chine walking.

I've heard a lot of people say they're putting jackplates on, but I've never talked to anyone who actually did it. How about it? Is there anybody listening who's tried this?

Desert Fox
06-04-2001, 06:56 AM
Before you do all that, there is a guy at M&M Marine in New Jersey who has a customer looking for an outboard Donzi. Is you boat still for sale and if so, I'll give him a contact # if you provide me with one. You can e-mail me @ ljtgilbert@ aol.com

Regards.

John Benkoczy
06-04-2001, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Desert Fox:
I am most interested in the 16' outboard as prices are high and availability scarce.
Someone said that there are only an estimated 20 16' outboards in quality condition...is there any place which would have some statistics. I understand taht ony 2000 were built between 1971 and 1974 which would make these very rare.
Thanks for any reference guidance.

I have a '73 OB which I'm restoring - new Bilt-Rite interior, fuel tank, Gaffrig gauges, new Awlgrip on the racing strip and topsides, re-chromed hardware, and beefing up the transom for a 225 Johnson (with racing lower unit and low water pickup-same weight as the 200) - interior glass reinforcement on the transom, and exterior aluminum plates - any other ideas?

------------------

Tom on Lanier
06-05-2001, 05:22 AM
Fasten you chin strap!!

marcdups
06-05-2001, 10:49 AM
all of the 16's I have seen outboard wise ran 200 yamahas and would run @ 62-3 mph, very dicey at that speed, but that was the engine of choice. Marc