PDA

View Full Version : Prop choice for my 20 Minx, Mirage 21 or 24?

Stix Magill
08-28-2001, 11:22 PM
I bought my 1987 20 Minx last month and it came with two props. The one I've been running is a 24 Mirage, but a 21 Mirage was also included. The repowered Minx with a 1997 Mercruiser 350 Magnum, Alpha One, runs 61mph (on the original VDO gauge) with a full 40 gal. tank on glassy water with only the driver. I am not sure of the rpms I'm reaching because I cannot take my eyes off the water! The 24 I have on now looks near perfect, but the other has a very slight dent on one blade. It's the size if a mosquito. Does this ruin the prop, should I use it, and which would be better? Thanks in advance for your help. By the way, I have really enjoyed everyones comments and suggestions. It has really made my Donzi ownership even more enjoyable.

Sincerely,

Stix Magill

Tomahawk
08-29-2001, 05:14 AM
Stix - you can't really tell where you're at without tachometer readings. That is the first thing you need to know to evaluate a prop. You need to know the max rpm recommendation for your engine and try to get close to that. Probably about 5000rpm but you need to know for sure. My guess is that the 21 will be the better of the two you have. The little dent isn't real serious but it's also not a big deal to have it fixed. I'd do that if it were mine.
The Mirage Plus props are intended for Bravo 1 drives and are not listed for use on Alphas from what I can see. Also, there is no Mirage Plus 24" prop in the current Mercury catalog. There is a 21, 23 and 25" but no 24". Whatever you have, check the tach, instead of the speedo, and go from there. Other guys here with Minxs and/or Alphas can tell you more but, if you were to buy a new prop, the Merc Revolution IV is listed for the Alpha and for Bravos and is an almost magical prop. Come to Lake Eufaula this weekend and learn a lot! :)

Sam
08-29-2001, 07:10 AM
Tom, What do you mean by magical ?

Sam

Stix Magill
08-29-2001, 09:17 AM
Thanks Tomahawk. I will find my RPM info this weekend on the engine specs and what I'm getting out of it. Your right about the larger prop. It is a 23.

What would a nosecone do for me and what do they cost?

Thanks! http://stixmagill.homestead.com/files/donzi101.jpg

Forrest
08-29-2001, 02:24 PM
Bring yourself and that nice Donzi to George T. Bagby state park on the East side of Lake Eufaula this weekend, even if it's just for the day. It will be a blast! :D

Hay Stix, you're not the mystery guy with the Minx that we ran into at Lake Eufaula last Labor Day weekend are you? His Minx was dark blue as well if I remember correctly. I can't tell from the picture, but is your Minx dark blue or black?

BigGrizzly
08-29-2001, 07:45 PM
The revolution Tom talks of worked gr5eat on my 22 Criterion, his 22 Classic Joe P.s 22 clasic and my son's 22ZX. All of us liked it and it was on of the fastest tested on these boats. We tried a lot of props.

Randy

Moody Blu'
08-29-2001, 07:49 PM
wouldnt a 24 mirage be faster than a 21 mirage?
keeping in mind that the engine pulls the same rpms.
you might want that 21 mirage for water skiing and the such.

Tomahawk
08-29-2001, 09:45 PM
Sam - for some reason, the Merc Rev 4 works surprisingly well on most boats. Hooks up well, accelerates well, has good top speed, is hard to ventilate and even cures some handling deficiencies - on many boats. However, the highest pitch they offer is 23".
Stix - nosecones don't provide any real benefits until your speed is upwards of 75 mph. Maybe a little less if you have a, not so good, gearcase design. They look pretty cool though if you want some style points.
Sky - yes, the higher pitch prop will, generally, be faster if the engine rpm remains the same - but it won't. You just need to try them while keeping an eye on the tach.

HP 600SC
08-29-2001, 09:57 PM
Sky_B_1971_ Don't think they make a 24 mirage. :rolleyes:
Stix, Beautiful Boat!
;)

Moody Blu'
08-30-2001, 08:22 AM
I meant 23 sorry :rolleyes:

HP 600SC
08-30-2001, 10:23 AM
Sky_b
NP Dude! (no problem) :p

Forrest
08-30-2001, 11:39 AM
Hay, if they're that good, then I need to try one on my X-18!

PaulO
08-30-2001, 02:36 PM
Hey Six,
Cute glastron you have for sale!
PaulO

Stix Magill
08-30-2001, 10:26 PM
Hey, I know it's not a Donzi, But it is a cool boat! Find me a cool Donzi for $3500 and I'll take them all! Thanks for noticing the cool factor. My wife just asked me if she could have the GT 160 for her own. I must be the luckiest man in the world! http://stixmagill.homestead.com/files/glastron1.jpg null

Randy Hibbard
08-31-2001, 03:38 AM
Hey Forrest, this Minx is #21 of the 25 LE models in black. Tim H has #20 and mine is #15. Cool huh? Stix, I think the 21p mirage is the original one our boats came with. I replaced mine with a 23p Stileto (less than $300 from Overtons I think) and got the same speed for 200 rpm less= beter gas milage. I consider the 21 a good all around prop and a max pitch if you ski with your Minx. Hope all this helps. Keep her under 5 grand to save your Alpha too.