PDA

View Full Version : Trans, engine & power steering oil coolers

Jamesbon
08-28-2001, 03:49 PM
Fellas,
I'm going to have to run a transmission, engine and power steering oil cooler. Can I use a seperate electrical "ignition on" water pump for these three coolers only? Has anyone ever seen this? If not, I'm thinking of the "plumbing nightmare" I face in the next couple months. If I can't, do these coolers go on the negative pressure side of the raw water pump, or the positive side, or can I run "hot" water through them from the exhaust or something?

I'd love to run a seperate, low volume electric water pump to cool these three guys, but if not feasible, I welcome your advice.

Thanks in advance,

Nathan

PS SEE YOU IN EUFALA :D

CDMA
08-28-2001, 03:59 PM
Nate,

They all should be fine on the suction side of the raw water pump. Just make sure to capity of the raw water punp is sufficient. Usually belt drive ones flow considerably more water. The second electrical pump, at least in my mind, is not necessary.

Chris

Jamesbon
08-28-2001, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the info. Chris. Welcome back! :) (now, let's see some pics!!!)

If I run the three coolers on the suction side, then I plan on adding a sea strainer as well. Whew! That's a lot of crap on the "intake" side. But if that's "standard," I have no problem with it.

Still learning...
Nate

BigGrizzly
08-28-2001, 07:07 PM
Nate, Sen-dur makes multipal function cooler that cool several.
I would run it on the pressure side it will make the nightmare ajust a bad dream. the Corsican has the coolers on the suction side the Criterion has it on the pressure side. If you close cooling system it it is deffently easier on the pressure side . other alternative the make multpul functiom waterpumps too. Cool oils with one and the engine with the other.

Randy

GEOO
08-28-2001, 08:10 PM
Nate,
Volvo's HP600 has engine oil cooler, Steering cooler, Fuel cooler and heat exchanger all off on crank mounted circulater pump. The raw water looped all around the engine then through the exhaust. GEOO