PDA

View Full Version : Transom Replacement

Greg
08-28-2001, 09:21 AM
I have a '66 18' and am getting to replace the wood in the transom. Originally it only went beween the stringers. Over the time I have been here I have seen several different ways of doing it. From going all the way from side to side to only having it stop 6 or so inches out side of the stringers. Is there any real "rule of thumb" for this type of replacement? I am going to be repowering with a stroker sbc and an Alpha SS. Thanks in advance.

Jamesbon
08-28-2001, 09:38 AM
Greg,
I don't know what the "rule" is either, as I've seen both as well.

If it helps, I think GEOO went from stringer to stringer only. I plan to do the same, however I may add small gussets to the very bottom of the transom, as well as a couple 90 deg. braces from the stringer to the transom. (As long as it'll clear exhaust...)

jwright
08-30-2001, 10:11 PM
I would suggest keeping the plywood edges at the stringers. It ensures that the load from the thrust of the drive is distributed through the stringers.

my $.02

Good Luck!

Scott Pearson
08-31-2001, 07:42 AM
Greg,
I have seen both. When I did my 1968 18 I went between the stringers and then Kicked it out up top so the exhaust was all through the wood. Not half wood and glass. If I had to do it all over again I would go all the way across. This way you have places to mount your pumps etc. Also...If your installing Trim Tabs..They have a place to screw to. My old/new "secret" project will have it all they way across. I will post a picture of the Transom in my 18. Looped....sending one over! Craig has more pictures of my boat then I do...(laughing)

(NJ)Scott

Looped
08-31-2001, 09:39 AM
Scott,
Here is an old picture that I posted earlier but I will see what you sent me in a second. Remember to send it to looped18classic@aol.com not hotmail because I am blocked here at work.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1399308&a=11451597&p=45535551&Sequence=0

Scott Pearson
08-31-2001, 10:00 AM
Craig,
I forgot about your other address...Sorry.

Thanks!

(NJ)Scott

Greg
09-01-2001, 03:37 PM
Scott & Looped thanks for the pic. I am leaning towards going the full way across with the transom wood. Good point about having a place to mount the taps and pumps, I hadn't thought of that. Scott, what are those extentions on the side of transom wood?I was also wondering about all the additional supports to the outside of the stringers and up the sides. Now that you have been running your boat for a while, does this seem to help? Thanks Greg

Scott Pearson
09-01-2001, 04:32 PM
Greg,
Everything was done in wood. The extentions where put there for the Trim Tabs. The ones on the bottom of the transom (you can only see part of them) Thats where the trim tabs attach to.

The wood up the side I feel has helped. Seemed to stiffen the sides up. Doesn't slap as much.

If your going all the way across remember that the Transom is not stright. It has a bow in it. So you will have to grind (taper) the wood as you go out towards the edges.

Good Luck!

(NJ)Scott

Looped
09-02-2001, 08:52 PM
Scott & Greg,
Sorry for the late delay with some other pictures of Scott's transom. Here are some of the shots:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1399308&a=11451597&f=0

Craig

Scott Pearson
09-03-2001, 07:20 AM
Craig,
Like I said...I think you have more pictures of my stuff then I do. (laughing)!

Thanks!
(NJ)Scott

GEOO
09-03-2001, 03:12 PM
Greg,

I replaced my transom with the same size plywood, between the stringers. http://www.donzi.net/tech/transomresto.htm
If I was to do it again I would go all the way to the gunnels for added strenght. I glassed in the top to the transom which should help. GEOO

Greg
09-04-2001, 07:55 AM
Scott, once again I find myself writing to thank you. You are absolutely right about the transom having a slight bow to it, not much but just enough to really screw wp the reassembly process. Thanks again, Greg

Scott Pearson
09-04-2001, 12:16 PM
Greg,
Not a problem...Let me know how you are making out. I will give you any information I can.

(NJ)Scott

Donzified
09-08-2001, 09:35 AM
I too have had to replace the transom on my 1976 X 18. When I pulled the transom assembly The wood was soft about 3 to 4 inches up from the drain plug. I widend the transom so that the exhaust went through all wood instead of half and half.I had the work done profesionaly and even they had a hard time with the cuve of the transom. Also they drilled the exhaust holes incorrectly so after all that I have unsightly aluminum plates to cover up ther mistake. DRILL YOUR EXHAUST HOLES AFTER YOU SET IN YOUR ENGINE.Also be sure to seal the gain of your drain hole, as this seams to be the source of water intrusion and therfor rot. Good Luck.