PDA

View Full Version : High pressure hose

Blewbyu
08-27-2001, 12:55 AM
Just had my crate motor rebuilt (goes like STINK)and have abiut 5 hours on it.Yesterday,while cruising (about 50MPH),I looked at the oil press gauge just as the needle swept to ZERO!!!!Turned the key off doing 50(sort of exciting,actually),opened the hatch to see oil all over everything!Found a burst hose between oil cooler and oil filter.When I was attaching the ancillary components to the new engine,I decided to replace all hoses.Took the old red oil hose to the local parts store.The parts lady sez-"Oh, that's heater hose,'getcha some" and returned with heater hose.I'm not well versed in pressure hose, and so asked her why mine (old) had USCG stamped on it and hers didn't,and would heater hose hold over 100lbs oil pressure?Why would the Coast Guard have to have heater hose stamped???"Aw", she says,"they just wanna screw ya to the wall cause it's a BOAT.This'll work".Of course it did not.Fired it after replacing w/350 LB OIL PRESSURE HOSE from a performance store.Suggestion to others-GO with your FIRST gut feeling if sumptin stinks.If you don't know or can't find out-DON'T turn the key 'till you DO.Almost cost me 6K instead of 3K!WhooHooo,too close for comfort! :)

Moody Blu'
08-27-2001, 10:49 PM
Wow, I hear you blewbyu.
I keep my eyes glued to the oil and water temp gauges AT ALL TIMES.
I spent ALOT of money building up the engine in my boat I would hate to see it go POOF in less than 30 seconds!!

I have a summit racing oil relocation unit kit.
I checked my oil the other day( I check it before and after every boating day) and it was a quart low, I checked the clamps on the 350 pd oil hose and sure enough, they were loose. I almost had the same scenario as you but due to loosened clamps!
threw a quart of oil in her and tightened up the hoses.

Protect that beater err I mean investment.
heck as long as the enigne and drive are in good workin order why not "drive it hard?"-as I would say.

Blewbyu
08-30-2001, 11:24 PM
Straight up!!
The next day,with only 7 hrs on the engine, I picked up a piece of stray plastic bag and wrapped around the OD,shutting off the water immediately.Caught the gauge just as it was going PAST 200.Shut down again!As soon as I realized the pump belt was still there (and turning)-went looking for plastic.Couldnt see it, but fired up and reversed,and it blew right out and the temp went down again.
TWO EMERGENCY SHUTDOWNS IN TWO DAYS!!!This summer is CURSED!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

mattyboy
08-31-2001, 07:30 AM
blewbyu,
take heart, at least you spotted trouble before it opened a can of whoop @$$ on you.
so enjoy the rest of the boating season.
keep your eyes peeled though!

Matt
the man you murphy's law was written for :rolleyes:

Moody Blu'
08-31-2001, 07:53 AM
just remember to always have your eyes stuck like glue on those gauges.
one eye on the water and one on the gauges :D

I get my sheilds flex intake hose today, i hope it solves my random overheating problem!

Blewbyu
09-01-2001, 02:00 AM
Mattyboy-In my book, Murphy is an OPTIMIST!!!
Three weeks before I wasted the Donzi motor,I bought a "mint" used Range Rover w/83000 on the clock-strong motor and NO oil leaks.2 weeks later (a week b4 the Donzi motor),I wasted the Rover engine in the middle of Eastern Washington desert in 105 degree temp.Bottom radiator hose blew out, and NONE of 3 LUCAS gauges or idiot lights mentioned anything about "coolant leaving the area".Fried that puppy to a crisp before it seized.All aluminum motor.That car is STILL in Montana waiting for a stinkin adaptor plate to get here from AUSTRALIA fer craps sake!Gonna whomp a WARM 2001 Vortec 350 in that puppy,and slam in some OLD FASHIONED mechanical gauges and alarms for low oil press/hi water temp.Same alarms going in the Donzi.Whatta year. :mad:

Blewbyu
09-01-2001, 02:06 AM
Skyblue-Having 3rd eyeball installed in my forehead this week!
Hope that sucky type hose replacement takes care of your problem.
Good Luck. :cool: (before pic)