PDA

View Full Version : WARNING-GRIM REAPER,narrow escape

Blewbyu
08-27-2001, 12:34 AM
My son (a solid Christian and an avid USCGA member,called a friend of his to bring his son and go for a ride with my son and his 2 children (8mo and 24mo).my son's boat is a 20' Wellcraft that fuels on the deck by the helm seat.They stopped at a service station to gas the boat on the way to the ramp.Cover was on,but my son had opened the back for it to vent.Turned on the blower,and let it run all the way to the ramp (10 min).Boat still smelled "gassier" than usual,but was a hot day under black cover-son thought it was probably expansion.Launched.Loaded three babies and the 2 guys (wives at Retreat).Lit it off and left the launch area.My son noticed carpet was "wet",then saw blue/red marks on the carpet that hadn't been there before.Asked his friend to ck his sons shoe soles-they were BLUE/RED!!!Son immediately checked bilge(normally dry.!)10 gallons of fresh gas were sloshing in the bilge,and the carpet was saturated!!.They were a FLOATING BOMB!!Had the other Dad take the kids to the foredeck while they motored a mile back to the launch-didn't dare key the radio or turn on the blower,or have to restart the motor.Cleared launch area-hauled boat home.The fill hose had popped off the dk fitting!!He spent 2 days cleaning the carpet and bilge VERY CAREFULLY-still stinks.The reason I write, is to remind you ALL to CHECK YOUR CONNECTIONS of your fill pipes.My son was very fortunate-please make sure YOU stay fortunate too.Best Regards-Blewbyu

Tomahawk
08-27-2001, 06:41 AM
Holy Macaroni Jeff! - that was a close call!
You're lucky you weren't blewby-up. I'll remember your story when I fill up from now on. Thanks and glad you made it back. :eek:

Scott Pearson
08-27-2001, 07:52 AM
I glad to hear everything worked out.

Guys,
I dont mean to preach...But ALL Fuel hose connections MUST be double clamped. This is a USCG regulation. It has to be USCG approved fuel line and Vent line so you have a 2 1/2 min. burn rate. Doesn't sound like much but it will be when your swimming away from a ball of fire.

Also make sure that your Gas Filler has at least a #8 wire running from the Filler to the tank and from the filler to a common ground. This is a MUST! If you dont have this please install it. It is possable to get a static charge at a gas dock when filling your boat. You know what comes next.

Some of this stuff might sound overkill to some of you (It did to me when I was doing my boat) but I installed ALL of it.

So COVER YOUR BACKSIDES!

(NJ)Scott

mattyboy
08-27-2001, 08:15 AM
blewbyu,
glad nothing serious happened, your son seems to have a good head on his shoulders, some people just don't pay attention to the warning signs,
Scott, you have given me some things to check,does the wire go to the collar of the fill opening or what? is that why they recomend keeping the filler in constant contact with the collar.
Matt

Scott Pearson
08-27-2001, 08:41 AM
Matty,
Run the wire to one of the through bolts that are holding the filler to the deck. If you have only screws, then get a matching head that you can through bolt with a nut under the deck. You will have to drill the hole all the way through and connect the wires to the underside of the deck at the filler. Run one wire to the tank and the other to a common ground that runs back to the motor.

I will try and get a picture to post later.

(NJ)Scott

Looped
08-27-2001, 08:49 PM
mattyboy,
Here are a couple of shots that Scott Pearson just sent over to me to post for you:

http://www.donzi.net/photos/spearson05.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/spearson06.jpg

Craig

Scott Pearson
08-27-2001, 09:25 PM
Thanks Craig!!!

(NJ)Scott
:)

oldLenny
08-27-2001, 09:59 PM
Scott, what a Neat,Tidy, Professional looking job you did of this TOO!!!

...nice work...

P.S. why do you play with PAINT and COATINGS (and or finances/marketing or whatever at PPG) when you seem to have a calling for the boat industry and well designed/lay-out projects? Are you doing what you do b-cuz' it's what you do?...or are you better at other things that you are not yet employed to do?... Like me...Personal HUH! Don't answer if you don't want to. ;) Cheers

mattyboy
08-27-2001, 11:21 PM
Thanx Scott and Craig,
Scott I've seen pics of your boat it's awesome :eek: but now I've seen the underside and it is just has awesome!!!
I'm glad I own a 16 and when I finally get to an event I won't have to compete with you!!! I think at the dust off they should start another category "under deck or behind the scenes engineering" you'll win hands down.Is that nut in the picture color coodinated?
Matt
I've seen greatness and been humbled

Formula Jr
08-28-2001, 02:49 AM
....checking all fuel hoses today......

that was scarry to just read....

Scott Pearson
08-28-2001, 06:42 AM
Len, Mattyboy,

Thanks Guys...I dont know if I can make it to work today, My head is all swelled up (Laughing).

Len,
I have been with PPG for over 10 years as a Territory Manager in NJ. I support Jobbers, Body Shops, Fleet Shops, LIC accounts and Marinas etc, etc. Anything that has paint on it. To tell you the truth...I'm a little burnt out from it all. Things have changed in the last 3-4 years. Thats another story in itself. It has nothing to do with Paint.
So the answer to your question is, When I get into something I give it 110%. I have always been into old muscle cars and street rods. Then I got into bikes real heavy and went crazy with that. But I loved old boats. I had a few, including Donzi's and now I'm into this real heavy. But for some reason Im enjoying this much much more. I think its because you get to go to so many great gettogethers and Meet so many nice people that you become close with. Its not like that with Car show or Bike shows. People are different there.

So am I doing what I do b-cuz' it's what I do? No...I just love it!

Or am I better at other things that I'm not yet employed to do?...I have to say yes to that...hummmmm...any job offers out there?

Mattyboy,
Is that bolt orange?...Hope I didn't miss one! (Laughing)

OK...so did all that make cence?

Thanks Again Guys...Ohhh I will try and post a picture of my chopper...I think you will get a kick out of it.

(NJ)Scott

oldLenny
08-28-2001, 09:20 AM
Scott P.
On another note. On the dash machining and billet parts that you produced, did you write your own G-codes or do you have some inbetween, more friendly, interface software (Windows based) to create the code? Who's controls were you writing for? Allen Bradley, Fanuc?...etc etc. Just curious and way off topic. Did you save the software for the billet dashwork?

Scott Pearson
08-28-2001, 03:20 PM
Len,

It was done on a CAD program and used a Fanuc. Im not sure what langauge of Fanuc that it used. Yes the program was saved and Copy writed.

(NJ)Scott

DonziDave
08-28-2001, 04:14 PM
A funny gas dock story!
Several years ago, before their fall from grace, Jim and Tammy Faye Baker (PTL Club) had their house here on Lake Wylie. I am at a local marina when Jim and Tammy pull up to the gas dock in their boat. Jim jumps out, engages the automatic fill lever on the nozzle and walks up to marina building. Tammy is in the back of the boat reading a book. After a while Tammy realizes she is ankle deep in gas and starts screaming for Jim. The dock master runs down and stops the pump. It seems that Jim had put the nozzle in a rod holder hole on the gunnel.
Too bad Jim didn't come back and start the boat. They would have been blown straight into the arms of Lucifer and saved a lot of people from their criminal acts.

Scott Pearson
08-28-2001, 07:18 PM
OK...this is going to sound real weird, But how many of you have the blower running when fueling up your boat?

Did you know that you SHOULD NOT have the blower running while fueling up! Only after the boat is fueled and the nozel is back on the dock is it safe to turn the blower on.

Reason being...Static charge once again.

So be honest...who leaves it running?

(NJ)Scott

green16
08-28-2001, 10:25 PM
I do not. Glad to hear every thing worked out safely.
green16

Looped
08-31-2001, 07:53 AM
Just a little move here, this is the thread that Scott P's Chopper needed to be in:

http://www.donzi.net/photos/spearson08.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/spearson09.jpg

Sorry for posting these pictures in your thread Mike Miller.

Craig

Blewbyu
09-01-2001, 02:18 AM
Scott P-I have NO IDEA what a CAD or a fanuc is/are,sounds dirty to me.But, you sure run a CLASSY ground wire.Great pics,and truly tidy work!!!I'm impressed!Bet you have long winters and a warm garage at your place? :eek:

Scott Pearson
09-01-2001, 07:38 AM
Blewbyu,
Ok...Now there is a Digitizer (Spelling) that my friend got. Should be able to make somemore cool stuff without all the CAD programing time.

Winter isn't to bad here. But I do have a warm garage. Still need more room!

Finishing up 2 more bikes (side jobs) then onto the next project.

(NJ)Scott

abelchinewalker
09-01-2001, 07:58 AM
Blewbyu,

When I worked in the Customer Service Department at both Wellcraft Marine, and Donzi Marine we liked to be informed of situations such as these. This gives the manufacturer the opportunity to possibly do a service advisory to maybe prevent a future catastrophe. Do me a favor and contact Tom Dykstra, the Customer Service Manager of Wellcraft and let him know that I asked you to contact him regarding this near disastrous situation. His number is 800-755-1099 ext. 369.

Best Regards,

Donnie

Blewbyu
09-01-2001, 05:14 PM
I wish to make 2 points in this thread:
1.Thanks Donnie,I shall do that as an FYI only.I erred perhaps in mentioning the manufacturer.This is a 1978 boat,and my son does not in any way assume to hold the manufacturer responsible.Over the years the hose just loosened from being squeezed all that time.It was,and still is,DOUBLE CLAMPED.
2.I hope I didn't leave the impression that my son was running the blower DURING fueling.He knows better. :o

Scott Pearson
09-01-2001, 10:07 PM
Blewbyu,

Hope I didn't offend you or anyone else on this board. I was just making some points about the Double Clamps and the Blower running. Just want everyone to be safe when there boating and double check what you have. If you purchase a boat from someone who knows what they did before you.

Thanks,
(NJ)Scott

Blewbyu
09-02-2001, 12:13 AM
No offense taken Scott.This thread was intended only to help keep us ALL safer.Appreciate your input re:double clamps/blower timing.All this stuff is good reminder fodder.
"Fuel never takes a vacation" as far as volatility is concerned-and you diesel guys should know that diesel fumes will blow a boat just as far out of the water as gas fumes when the mix is right.Don't smoke while fueling ANYTHING.
Actually-DON'T SMOKE period.

mattyboy
09-02-2001, 11:03 AM
heys guys,
post like these are a big help, found my hose only single clamped on each end, the other thing i see alot at the pumps is people
still in the boat, I thought the CG recomended getting all the passengers off the boat and onto the dock, saw a guy yesterday on a sun deck about 12 people onboard and all the tubes and ski's, God forbid something goes wrong kaos!!!
it's easy now my wife knows the marina I fuel at has a clothing shop so she browses while I fuel, I hope this doesn,t lead to one expensive fill up.

No guys these post are needed to let everyone know.
like the double clamp thing.

Matt
have a safe and happy holiday