PDA

View Full Version : Ford Guys....Motor on Ebay!

Scott Pearson
08-25-2001, 11:37 PM
There is a Ford Interceptor motor on EBAY. The item # is 1182521232. I dont know much about Ford Motors but it sounds pretty good.

http://cgi.ebay.aol.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1182521232

(NJ)Scott

Formula Jr
08-26-2001, 12:40 AM
Looks good, but reserve is what? Look out for shills.....

MXRoadster
08-26-2001, 10:28 AM
Formula Jr, if the bidding does not meet or exceed the reserve amount (the amount is set by the seller and remains a secret to the bidders) then the seller does not have to sell the item to the highest bidder. Hope that clears things up a little.

David

Formula Jr
08-26-2001, 02:25 PM
Mxroadster, over the evolution of E-bay, I've noticed that the form of bidding used has become stacked in the seller's favor. Most of the time I don't even bid when there is a reserve - you'll note others don't touch these auctions either. I've even emailed sellers directly only to find out the reserve is insanely high. And lately there has been a flock of zero feedback guys that run up my proxies only to drop out later. Then I have to explain to the seller that I'm no longer bound to my last bid. Those are shills and e-bay so far can't control them. Shill is maybe the wrong word here......they're just kids screwing around. Bidders can always have their limit found, but sellers can hide their reserve. Also there is a problem with the way ebay treats your bid when dealing with reserves. If the hidden reserve is 200 dollars. and you are the only bidder. And you set your proxy to 250. The new winning high bid goes straight to the reserve price. That isn't how a normal auction works. The sellers should just tell you what the reserve is so people aren't wasting time. You also can't manually set your bid. In other words, lets say I want to set the bidding high with a large up front bid. This is a stratagy buyers use to shut out people that just get caught up in bidding. You can't do that either.
Take a look at how this auction went down. http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=1180613209
You'll note I stopped bidding the second the zero FB guys showed up.
Badger is a good guy to deal with, by the way, but this poor buyer got hosed on a drive that was never even identified as an MR-1.
Thats how it has become lopsided. :)
My, how I ramble on and on......................

Scott, you'll note that is an inboard with a tranny. It was designed to run at the angle of the prop shaft. Not sure what all would be needed to convert it to a level running sterndrive engine but the intake would be wrong for a flat install.

Rich
08-26-2001, 05:38 PM
Formula,
I was also looking at this drive. It is a Model 165 that came with the mercruiser in-line 6 cylinder, not a MR-1. At least badger identified it as that. Many people don't know what they have for sale. Your right about the shills though. A shill, by the way, is someone that is working with the seller to drive the price up. Illegal at all auctions. I ignore all the previous bidders and wait until the auction is about to end before I bid. I set my limit in my head and go with that. Win some...Lose some. If the shills have already driven up the price too high, I just pass. If a shill was the high bidder, you'll see the item come up again. At least then you'll have another shot at it......but buyer beware.

Rich

Scott Pearson
08-26-2001, 05:59 PM
Formula,
Like I said...I dont know much about Ford stuff.

(NJ)Scott

ALLAN BROWN
08-27-2001, 10:46 AM
I cut my teeth on those pieces of s*&t at Challenger Marine in the 50's. The have an IMPOSSIBLE side draft Rochester dual set up. I would't give 14 cents for this motor if I had to keep it. It also has all aluminum accessories, manifolds, etc., that are even worse.

Gearhead99
08-27-2001, 07:53 PM
I agree with Allen. Those side draft Rochester carbs are a real pain. Gray Marine had them too. You want a fire. They'll make you a fire. It has two Rochester single barrel carbs, side draft. One facing forward and one facing aft.

Same style carb that was on the Corvette 6-cyl. But it had three.