PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic, chevy trucks info request

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
12-20-2001, 07:21 PM
OK, I have been a Ford/Jeep guy in this life, I almost own the 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and his offer was good in my eyes...
when it comes to chevy trucks and I am CLUELESS on the 2001 Silverado's, my next door neighbor sells chevy and has been there 21 years, he swears he gets his pay regardless of the sale price and I will get his best deal, we are close and I trust him.... asking price on the lot 34K he says out the door for about 28K.
2001, 8000 miles, guy traded for a 2002 Suburban on order.
Extended cab 4x4 dually loaded with every option.
What engine packages are out there? Rear end gear ratios, tow capacity etc.
Pro's con's???
lessons learned etc...
and of course your opinion
Being a friend he knows I am leaving town tomorrow for a 1300 mile trip and told me to take it, I most likely will.
I will spend tonight reading, any good links would help too...
Thanks in advance guys...
Bryan

Shanghied Again
12-20-2001, 07:32 PM
Bryan, I have the Crew Cab Ford Dually with a diesel, The one problem with the crew cab is the truck really big and a son of a gun to park anywhere, Great for pulling the boat around, My neigbor has the chevy with a 454 the truck is real bad on gas milage, My diesel isn't that bad I get about 11 miles to a gallon. Ps. you are boat of the month on the N/E Donzi club page http://northeastdonziclub.homestead.com/index.html

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
12-20-2001, 07:54 PM
Frank, 1st thanks for the Donzi of the month gig, we saw it when you posted... This time of year we host almost nightly with nancy employees.... I have been drunk for a week! LOL
In fact we just finished another little deal with a few...
Anyway, I am just clueless on Chevy's, never owned one. 6000 engine extended, not crew.
We'll see in the morning I guess....
Be safe and have a happy holiday Frank, tell Melissa the same for me.
Bryan

Shanghied Again
12-20-2001, 08:48 PM
Bryan, Same here have a great holiday tell Nancy and the kids I wish them a very Merry Christmas and the Best New Year to all of you!

Cuda
12-20-2001, 09:11 PM
My cousin just bought a 2002 3/4 ton 4wd Siverado with a 6.2 liter engine. He paid 28K for it. He is getting 14 mpg hwy. My last new Chevy was a 95 Diesel dually. I ended up lemon lawing it. My last two trucks have both been Fords with absolutely no problems. Not bad rapping Chevies, just stating what my experience was.

boldts
12-20-2001, 09:15 PM
Bryan,
If you can wait a couple weekends, I'll let you drive my Tahoe. You can hook up the Donzi and tow it around to see how you like it. I had the smaller V6 powered Chevy S-10 Blazer 4 dr. before I got my Tahoe. The larger Tahoe tows my 18 like there is nothing back there. Very stable and comfortable. I drove all night down to Sarasota 20 hrs and when I arrived, I felt like I had driven around the block. No fatigue due to the truck ride. I got 15 MPG on that trip average. Engine options are just about any engine built. Chevy trucks usually have the 350 fuel injected engine as a standard. Big blocks are available also. Rear end gear is very important when you are towing a heavy load. The higher the gear ratio, the more bottom end the truck will have and usually has an effect on the pounds the truck can tow. A 4.11 gear ratio will get up the launch ramp better than say a 3.?. A transmission cooler, along with heavy duty engine cooling will help the durability of your drive train. You will surely want the trailoring package which includes options to benefit your drive train while towing. 4 wheel drive is great at the launch ramp. Of course the higher the rear gear, the less MPG. Same goes with the 4 wheel drive. Basiclly, it's just a matter of what you like. Chevy, Ford, Dodge all make great towing vehicles. I personally like the closed interior of my truck vs a pick-up truck. I've owned both though. Looking forward to seeing you, the family and of course, that 26ZX sitting next to the house after Christmas. Take Care in your travels.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
12-20-2001, 09:31 PM
Scott, always great to hear from ya... we have had almost every vehicle made, we really liked our 150 Super cab but that is another story why we sold it...
Our Jeep swings a 3.73 rear end now, I know the importance, huge difference over the stock 3.55

This Silverado is loaded and a 4.10 or 4.11 full tow package etc.
We'll see, he bounced the idea on me tonight, Nancy rolled her eyes and had a few sweet words so I will look into it farther tomorrow...

We look forward to seeing you guys next week. I understand the early departure, and I would NEVER pass up a breakfast you offered to treat, just realize the day prior is on my dime.
Be safe and we'll see you and the family soon.
Bryan

ToonaFish
12-20-2001, 10:03 PM
Scott remembered everything except locking rear differential! Look in the glove box and it will have a sticker that lists codes that were the factory installed options. It's either G20 or G80... I'm 99% sure it's G80... I'm not in my office to double check, but your salesmen will know. (And now I'm second guessing myself that it's even offered on a one ton truck... but I'm pretty sure it is.) I stopped selling in '00, but I know from buddies that the new 6.0 is just about the same gas hog that the 454 was. But you will adore the tow/haul mode with the new automatic tranny and it does help mileage a bit.

You might want to surf the GMBuyPower site... they should list all options and goodies. I can't remember the name of the site that lists recalls and campaigns by year model... surely someone here knows it? If it is pre-owned, make sure to have your salesman run a CarFax on it... they aren't foolproof, but we did discover some serious lulus by running it. If he can't/won't, you can do it with the VIN for around $25 on the CarFax site. Also, many GM service departments can pull any service work done by VIN.

And the ONLY, REPEAT ONLY, extended warranty that you should even listen to a sales pitch on is GMPP. Period. I mean it. And don't forget the price of a warranty is just as negotiable as that of the vehicle.

Cuda, the old turbo diesel 6.5(?) GM engine was a very bad joke... I refused to sell it and assisted several sucessful buy backs on them. I'm hearing great stuff about the new Isuzu joint venture diesel, but dealers are finding very few folks are willing to spend the ridiculous amount that GM thinks they can charge... only time will tell if it makes a serious dent in the Cummins fanclub.

Good luck and be kind to your salesperson... they are people too!

Bunches,
Celene (bleeding Chevy red)

Dr. Dan
12-20-2001, 10:29 PM
Bryan, Scott Pearson and Brad Verd both have Chevy or GMC, they are both nice older models in great shape, Brads is a Big Block Suburban, not sure on Scott's Truck,but I bet you would not be surprised to learn his "Paint" is nice! Both of these, tow their 18's like a fly on a *)%^$#, so it's not the same as your 26, Franks truck is a great truck, we looked at the F-350 Deisel and he makes a great point, the single most limiting factor would be Parking, they are huge! We decided to go with a new 2002 Z 71 Package Suburban,leather & whips and chains, the full deal, I was going to get a steroid beast,but decided that the percentage of actual Tow Time is less than 5% of my annual 50,000 miles so I'm whimping out and going for style and comfort, and resale! The price on that unit sounds about right! If it's clean and you really want it, buy it, you can always use a good P/U. :D Good Luck and Merry Christmas!...Doc

Scott Pearson
12-20-2001, 10:32 PM
Randy,
I have a 1996 chevy 4X4 crewcab with a 6.5 Turbo Diesel and 4:10 rears. I get about 19mpg on the highway and about 15mpg towing my 18 Donzi. I also drive between 80-90mph.

I would NEVER own a gas motor again.

Now as far as the new Chevy's with the 6.6 Duramax Turbo Diesel. These trucks are unbeleveable...I barrowed a friends crewcab 4X4 and blew mine away as far as power. It also put the Ford to shame. They have 300hp at 3,100rpm and 520 lp-ft of torque at 1,800rpm. And the Allison 1000 trans is a work of art. It can handle a GVWR up to 19,850lbs and a GCWR of up to 26,000lbs.

A friend of mine is selling his 1995 Chevy Crewcab 4X4 dully for $18,000. This truck has a BB 454 and is MINT. Always garaged and only has 23,000 miles. Its all black.

Just my 2 cents

(NJ)Scott

SundanceKid
12-21-2001, 11:45 AM
The new Chevy HD's are THE nicest truck available in my opinion. We drove a GMC 2500 HD extended cab short box with a 6.0 liter and a 4.10 rear end. All we could say was WOW! This truck had tremendous power, one could only imagine the power with the new 8.1 liter BB 496. At our Pompano store we have a 2000 crew cab 4X4 dually with the old diesel. Have pulled many 45 Donzis and 47 Fountains with no problem. In Fort Lauderdale we have a 1999 2500 4X4 Suburban with a BB 454 and 3.73 rear end. A 4.10 is definately something we should have ordered because the 3.73 doesn't lay the power down as good as the 4.10. Gas mileage is only about 6 pulling a boat and about 12-13 not pulling. Even though we shouldn't, we have still pulled 38's and 45's and the truck doesn't seem to mind.

SundanceKid
12-21-2001, 11:47 AM
Try going to www.gmc.com (http://www.gmc.com) or www.chevy.com (http://www.chevy.com) to build your own truck with all the options you want to find out what the MSRP will be.

Formula Jr
12-21-2001, 04:03 PM
My 95 G30 one ton Van has the tow package but no locking differential or limited slip. You will need this. I can't believe I didn't get a limited slip diff. The thing will get stuck in flat, wet grass. It's the only thing I would change about it. I have had to pick different ramps than intended because of the lack of a locking differential. So far, there was always an alternative paved ramp, but I would have liked the option. I get green eyes when I see people launching off gravel or unimproved areas.

bverd
12-21-2001, 04:08 PM
Bryan,
I have a 1996 2500 Suburban with the BBC. If I were to do it again I would definitly go diesel. I love the power, but the gas goes quickly. It is the best "car" I have ever owned. After my first road trip with it, I said I would only replace it with another one. It tows like a dream. If you want to try it out, just let me know. --Brad

DONZIMAN2
12-21-2001, 04:33 PM
Saw a new Chevy truck pulling a 35ZF the other day with Yellow and Purple In-Motion graphics. Had the In-Motion painted on the truck to match the boat. I almost ran off of the road it was so AWESOME. What a package. Gotta Love them Donzi Owners. Bryan if I do not talk to you before be safe with Mamma and the kids on the road. Hope all is well with your family. Happy Holidays from Bob & Robin.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
12-22-2001, 11:37 AM
Didn't make the buy, to fast and rushed. Last minute hose Bryan attempt at $2000 less on my trade than was quoted in my living room... NOT!
I did look at an F350 too.

I will wait awhile and shop single axle rears next time out. The duallys are overkill for my needs..
Thanks for the info you guys and I hope all my Donzi brothern have a wonderful holiday!
We are now in COLD Ohio, 22 Degrees when we arrived this a.m.
Bryan

OceanCommotion
12-26-2001, 02:56 PM
Not necessarily just for Bryan, but for everyone:

I bought my wife a new honda in August on www.carsdirect.com (http://www.carsdirect.com) . After you guys hit the factory sites and get MSRP's on various vehicles, blast over there and see what you can get for a number.

I'm not trying to push these guys (not an agent, or affiliated by any means) but I'll probably buy my next car from them. It was almost too easy. They do all the paperwork online and then have the car waiting for you at a local dealership.