PDA

View Full Version : Donzi copies Cobalt!!

Ranman
10-22-2002, 02:29 PM
Well maybe not, but look at the striking similarities between the 2003 16 Classic paint scheme and this XV-200 Cobalt. Coincidence????

Cobalt XV-200
http://www.donzi.net/photos/CZimmermann17.jpg

16 Classic
http://www.donzi.net/photos/Factory16Classic.jpg

Cobalt XV-200
http://www.donzi.net/photos/CZimmermann18.jpg

16 Classic
http://www.donzi.net/photos/Factory16ClassicRear.jpg

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
10-22-2002, 03:03 PM
I saw the black classic above yesterday, still in the same spot, lines on, is it a demo boat?
Bryan

CDMA
10-22-2002, 03:06 PM
Isn't that our fearless leaders new boat???

Chris

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
10-22-2002, 04:30 PM
I am afraid to ask who that might be! :rolleyes:

http://www.donzi.net/photos/classic0101.jpg

Rootsy
10-22-2002, 06:41 PM
hmmmmm i kinda like it... but i'll hold out for the red sides wink

Speed-Racer
10-22-2002, 08:12 PM
I do believe it's Mike Miller's boat...or Nick's you can never be sure of who's it is?? In Sarasota I waited for 40 mintues Sunday morning ,after everyone left, just to ride in it(pre-arranged with Mike). I ended up being taken to Lido Beach by Brian in the Blackhawk and to my discovery Mike was already there....

It's all good though....

mattyboy
10-22-2002, 08:29 PM
get that windshield out of here :p an interesting looking boat, is the windshield an option or was it custom for the BMOC

Matt

NYStockboy
10-22-2002, 09:09 PM
Are you telling me that that new windshield is the only one available on all the 2003 Classics? I thought that only the 2003 Classic didn't come with the original windshield but you could order the original windshield for the 18 and 16.
Thanks,
Ken

Greg K
10-22-2002, 09:15 PM
Wind screens for the 16 & 18 are made by a different supplier
than what was being used and supplied for the 22.

Ranman
10-22-2002, 09:40 PM
Matty, I take offense to that. I think the boats look naked without the windshield. At least the 18's do.

Crazy Horse
10-22-2002, 09:47 PM
I think that the new stripe is nice...I like the windshields too.

harbormaster
10-22-2002, 11:27 PM
I am also partial to the windshield.

Donzi Marine VP
10-22-2002, 11:33 PM
Hey Gang! Hope this note finds all of you doing well.

The 16 Classic in the picture above is in fact a new boat with zero hours, but it's a 2001 model. I built the boat and put it on static display at the Hard Rock in Orlando. The boat was never used and as a matter of fact was built with no engine. I had the V8 installed just before the Sarasota Rally.

The paint work was done before the rally also. It's BASF Diamont with four coats of clearcoat. I took cues from the paint scheme of the 22 Classic Limited Edition and Jerry McCullough and I worked it into this design. I wanted kind of a retro look without sacrificing the classic feel.

Thru-hull exhaust is being installed next week along with trim tabs. I also have already had a custom stereo and a few other "trick" things installed on the boat. My only problem now is finding the time to use it!

For those of you that wanted a ride please accept our aplogies, Mike and I were so busy at the Rally that we didn't even get to take it out!

And as far as the picture of the Cobalt above... there are many copies, but there is only one original.

Hope to see you guys soon!

Nick Miller

Craig
10-23-2002, 07:48 AM
I think the Cobalt looks awesome!!!! Whose ultra-cool boat is that anyway????

Ranman
10-23-2002, 08:01 AM
Nick,

No need to apologize, the Rally was a huge success due to the efforts from you and Mike. Donzi did an awesome job putting that event together.

I noticed the paint scheme looked similar to the 22 Limited Edition. I would say you hit the "retro" nail on it's head. It's a great looking boat. Still kind of eerie how the paint resembles the Cobalt.

Lastly, there's no question Donzi is the original...and the best. Many people have copied the Classic lines because they're a knockout.

Thanks for the post and see you next year in Sarasota!

mattyboy
10-23-2002, 08:15 AM
Ranman,Crazyhorse and Harbormaster,of course you guys like the windshield you all have em right???
Ranman don't get offended I'm a 16 guy and I like them with out the windshield, ok so we agree to disagree :D

I do like the boat though the paint job is nice change of pace. on the donzi I mean, the cobalt is a little too busy.

and where are all my 16 brothers to defend me when getting picked on by all these 18 guys :confused: wink :p :D

Matt

Donzigo
10-23-2002, 08:20 AM
The Cobalt copy is an attempt at fame, yes? Didn't someone say: "Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery"?

I like the windsheild, too. :cool:

Rootsy
10-23-2002, 09:40 AM
i'll stand by ya matty... no windshields for me! cept on the 22... wink

HP 600SC
10-23-2002, 09:52 AM
Donzigo, yes....I think I remember SomEone saying that. :D :D Its all good...

RedDog
10-23-2002, 10:19 AM
Ranman says: "I think the boats look naked without the windshield."

Reddog says "naked = sexy"

mattyboy
10-23-2002, 10:44 AM
thanks guys,

ok so we have 3 yeahs and 3 neys so who's gonna cast the deciding vote on the windshield
( bet ya it comes from florida, no chads or pregnant dimples eek! :p wink :D )

sorry that was uncalled for :D

Matt

Ranman
10-23-2002, 10:48 AM
I can't win with you guys! :D :D :D . Actually, I prefer the windshield on the 18 and 22. I can't recall seeing the windshield on too many late model 16's, only on older ones like the Ski Sporter. Whatever.

Reddog, good point, but I still like the windshield dammit! smileybo

Donzi Jenn
10-23-2002, 11:18 AM
Sorry, 16 boys - windshield is the only way to go! :p :p :p

tamburello
10-23-2002, 11:19 AM
I'll put in my vote as a windshield supporter. The classics are beautiful regardless of the presence of a windshield but I prefer the windshield look . Plus the windsheild is a great way to divert the wind, water, and insect life coming over the bow directly into ones face. There's nothing quite like the surprise of ingesting a moth at 60 m.p.h. to complete the Donzi experience.

mattyboy
10-23-2002, 01:34 PM
tamburello,
moth's don't taste to bad and the are high in fiber and low in cholesterol wink :D
and there's no better way to impress the ladies than to have a big ole bug stuck between your front teeth :rolleyes: :p :D

Donzi Jenn,
my wife agrees with you, I guess the windshield is a little easier on the hair

bad hair day
http://www.donzi.net/photos/mattyboy.jpg

Matt

CrackerJack
10-23-2002, 02:36 PM
Here is my 2.5 cents, windshields on the Classic 16 are for the wimps. I do believe I have Mattyboy and Jamie Root on my side... Besides if Don had wanted windshields he would have put them on. PS. look how good Matt looks with the wind in his hair. There isn't a greater experience!!!!!!!!!
My humble and most accurate opinion.

Kent Perroux
10-23-2002, 02:46 PM
No Windsheild!!

If I had a 22, the windsheild would be on Ebay the next morning. Maybe a small fairing, but not a windsheild.

Now, a single-seater 18 w/closed f-16 canopy? - YES.

Ranman
10-23-2002, 03:39 PM
Well....you don't know jack, Jack! or something. The windshields are sweet. They just look good. :D :D :D

Rootsy
10-23-2002, 03:50 PM
i love the simple streamlined look of the 16's and 18's WITHOUT windshield... and you don't even taste bugs above 60!!!

If my 16 had come with a windshield it'd now be wrapped around ranman so he couldn't type such nonsense!!! :D

on second thought... i like living too much... eek! eek! eek!

CDMA
10-23-2002, 03:52 PM
Ok can't we just ALL agree that we won't ALL agree????

Chris

1 with, 1 without, 1 I can't figure out if it could have one...well rounded windshield man

Tidbart
10-23-2002, 04:13 PM
No windshield.
No snow either! :p
No long wait for spring :p
No long cold winters, anymore :p
No black ice :p
No snorkel coats :p
No three dog nights :p

The no's have it.

Ranman
10-23-2002, 04:31 PM
Oh, yeah, Chris like you can just jump in here and throw your opinion around. If there's someone out there we shouldn't listen too regarding boat styling...it's Chris.

Hell, your boat doesn't even have boot or deck stripes for gods sake! Much less the sweet windshield. WTF were you thinking? I bet we can all (except you) agree that you need stripes, so I don't want to hear any lip from you bub...OK? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D

on second thought... i like living too much... Good call Jamie. Now you'd better change your story on the windshield or it's no Jobbienooner 2003 for you!!!

Applying for Donzi.net bouncer position...

CDMA
10-23-2002, 05:05 PM
You guys can take your stripes and.... :D :D :D

Chris

Only person who needs to like my boat is ME :) Anyway I got a Donzi with stripes too... wink

roadtrip se
10-23-2002, 05:25 PM
16's and 18's don't need no stinking windshields!
With the horsepower most of you run in these things, it's kind of handy to have a grab rail to hold onto any way! On the Mad Dog's X-18, no windshield and no grab rail call for a firm grip on the bottom of the seat. Been there done that!

Boot stripe or no boot stripe. That red Testerossa in the for sale section sure looks pretty good without it. So Greg K, have you made up your mind whether you're going stripe-less with your red beauty? I vote for taking it off...

Randy, you got my vote for Donzi.net bouncer and hopefully you'll forget my windshield comments by the time we hook up again in the spring. As they say in the business, "got your back!"

Todd

boldts
10-23-2002, 05:47 PM
Probably should stay out of this one, but since I've owned both an 18 with-out and now a 22 with the windshield, I'll throw in my thoughts on the subject.

Unless your only 3' tall, the windshield doesn't do a darn thing for ya except change the look of the boat. That like stripes on your Donzi is a personal choice. Since you are the one who is making the payments or owns the boat out right, you are the only one who needs to like the way your boat looks. It's called individuality gentlemen. It's the same reason I prefer blue over red on my Donzi. Everyone has their own reasons for what they like. I'd love to buy Frank's old 22ZX that is for sale and become a member of the 80 MPH club, but I'm a Classic kind of guy so that is what I own. (Yes, I asked Beth which style Donzi she wanted before our purchase!)

Just a 5'6" Donzi owner with a windshield not doing a bit of good, but loving every minute spent on the boat! :D

Marlin275
10-23-2002, 06:02 PM
Doesn't the windshield just make sure that the wind shoots straight into your face?
I don't have one but I read that on another thread. Seems only the original windshields from the 60's would shield the wind?

Tidbart
10-23-2002, 06:34 PM
Poodle,
100% OK! yippie

B

Cuda
10-23-2002, 06:36 PM
I have to vote for a windshield. The boat just looks unfinished without it, like it was damaged and removed. Just my opinion, I could be wrong. :)

Ranman
10-23-2002, 06:50 PM
Fellas, Just want to make sure everyone here knows I'm just goofin' around with you all. :D :D . Scott's right, it is personal choice and and even though we all know the striped Donzi's with windshields are better than the others, I still love 'em all and that's what counts.

P.S. The Donzigirls even look better on windshielded Classics with stripes...See!

http://www.donzi.net/photos/ROak11.jpg

NYStockboy
10-23-2002, 07:36 PM
That is a nice shot.
Ken

mattyboy
10-23-2002, 07:39 PM
well said Ranman! I was just kidding around too
but I think we're letting Chris off real easy about that stripe thingy :p wink :D
and I see what you mean about the donzi girls :D

Matt

Tidbart
10-23-2002, 07:48 PM
I'm not kidding around. What was that, a voice of reason??

How did we get to here from the start of this topic anyways. :p :p

KRAVEN
10-23-2002, 07:49 PM
No windshield,Have no use for one.All you need is a grab rail!

Rootsy
10-23-2002, 08:02 PM
hmmmmm jobbienooner 2003... record attempt to see just HOW many women can fit in a 16 at one time! :D

you can be my bouncer anytime randy... i'll let you handle all of the light work.. :p

Still without windshield and always will...

grab rail absolutely positively required!

Greg K
10-23-2002, 09:15 PM
Todd,
The Stripe is coming off..will need to see what it looks like underneath to see what will be done after..that is a given...collecting all my little goodies and pieces and checking things off the list slowly to replace, add, or update as well.
I do beleive it will be more stunning once it's complete..but are they ever ??

Ed Donnelly
10-23-2002, 11:30 PM
Windshields, 16 never 22 always I never ever thought about putting a windshield on my 16..I wouldn't dream of taking the windshield off my Criterion. To each his (her) own Ed.

knee deep
10-24-2002, 03:23 AM
I'm gonna date myself on this one. I like the "real" original windshield that was an option back in the early days. The one that wrapped around somewhat, similar to the Hornet windshield.
That is the correct windshield to have if you don't feel like having the complete bug-ingesting Donzi experience! MY .02 worth!

Craig
10-24-2002, 06:38 AM
http://www.donzi.net/photos/CZimmermann21.jpg

RedDog
10-24-2002, 07:24 AM
How about this beautiful 22 without one of those thrashy windshields?

http://www.donzi.net/photos/floydts-donzi22-10.jpg

Craig
10-24-2002, 07:48 AM
16 - same angle, with and without windshield...

http://www.donzi.net/photos/CZimmermann21.jpg
http://www.donzi.net/photos/CZimmermann23.jpg

HP 600SC
10-24-2002, 08:17 AM
So It might be fun to post a poll and vote on the windshield thing.

Kent Perroux
10-24-2002, 08:33 AM
Windsheilds look nice, but if you drive your Donzi in anything buy relatively smooth water.....

...there is a reason race boats are not allowed to have windsheilds. Windsheilds make great skullcrackers.

Barry Phillips
10-24-2002, 03:51 PM
I have an 18 with a windshield , and I love it. I t dose not do a dam thing except blow my hat off but it gives the boat a more finished look. I have been playing with carboard to see how much it would take to devert the wind over my head and it's about 5". I want to put Cobra style wind visors on it, perhaps as a Christmass present from my wife. I have seen OMC 18s with stainless windshild frames and they looked great, one of the few things OMC did right. It would be really cool if Donzi brought back the X18 deck fairing.
SO-SLO

olredalert
10-24-2002, 06:55 PM
-------For those that care,the original tall windshields were made by a company called Taylormade.Im not sure if the company is still in existence or not.Does anyone out there know if the company is still out there?It might be a way for those of us with the older classics to finish a restoration...........just.....ol red!

Tidbart
10-24-2002, 07:03 PM
http://www.taylormadegroup.com/frames/fsystem.html

Here you go.

B

RH
10-24-2002, 08:01 PM
I have to agree with Knee Deep on the windshield issue. I just love the looks of the older style wrap around windshield by Taylormade on my '72 Hornet. It just makes the lines even more incredible. As for the protection factor? Not much unless you duck and cover. You have to admit that it is pretty hard not to love the lines on a Donzi, windshield or not! Even better with this smileybo in the boat!
RH