PDA

View Full Version : I'm back

CDMA
08-24-2001, 12:59 PM
Believe it or not after what was a really short summer I am already back at school. It is sort of depressing tht it is 80 degrees out and I am sitting in class...at least it is Naval Architecture. I was away from the computer all summmer but I have spent the last few days catching up. I had a great summer with my 68 18. This was my first season after the volvo to alpha swap and I have to report it was a mixed sucess and failure. There is no question the power steering and trim are great but after losing a drive this spring my confidence in that little black unit was a little shaken. It was a a very interesting experiment and the most interesting part was seeing how the lh helm and the rh prop worked. That too was a mixed sucess. I have to say it is ok just ok. Not great not bad. With 2 people in the boat it really isn't a big deal but with just me I really have to keep on my toes in cross wakes. To me the biggest problem is the cleaver propellor. It just doesn't work as nice as the round ear in almost every aspect. Time to plane, turning, ability to carry the bow without porpising and so forth. I tried a round ear rh but that was just scary. I thought I was going to flip over when I was alone. Would I do the swap over again....I don't know. I think so but probably only due to the fact that it makes a bravo swap easy as cake. That is really where I am going hopefully sooner than later.

Other news is tht I drove to NC to get a Rolls trailer. And that was a sucess. What a work of art truely the greatest trailer I have ever seen. The guy who makes these must be crazy... In a good way. I wound up with a tandem axle trailer, aluminum wheels and keel bunks. Thrilled does not describe it.

I am in for a tough semester but I am really looking forward to getting started on my 22. The arneson and the k planes are waiting and I think I am going to external arneson industries box route with a hp500 or similar. Donzi tester I have to say that your 22 came out great. I really hope mine comes out nearly as good.

Well glad to be back and hope all of you had as good a summer as I did.

Chris

Off to blast around in my donzi for the weekend and avoid all the hw.

TORYSMINX
08-24-2001, 02:21 PM
Chris

good to hear from you. Do you still want my tempest? I got the new engine back and I am assembling it tonight and the rest of the weekend. Give me a call when you get a chance.

tory

HP 600SC
08-24-2001, 08:34 PM
Chris,
Thank you ! good luck on your's....need any
red diamond plate?

Moody Blu'
08-24-2001, 08:43 PM
uhh guess im not goin to an alpha then.

I know a guy who has an alpha and have seen the proposing in a turn. kind of scary!

Looped
08-24-2001, 09:07 PM
Welcome back Chris, it's a bummer that they start school still in prime Donzi running time.

I was wondering what happened to you and PaulO? Any word from Paul?

Craig

RickR
08-25-2001, 06:13 AM
How's the trailer comming along?
I forgot to mention redoing the wiring with bare crimp connectors and adhesive lined heat shrink :D

Scott Pearson
08-25-2001, 08:01 AM
Chris,
Welcome back! As you know, we have the exact same set-up. And I'm not seeing the problems that you are comming across. As soon as I get up on plane I just hit the port tab once and it evens right off. I leave it that way all day and I never have to mess with it again. The boat planes right off, I couldnt ask for it better. Maybe it helped that I mounted all my pumps and extras on the starbord side. ( I know Cathy isn't fat...so that leaves that out)

My 68 doesnt porpoise anymore then other Donzi classics that I have owned or driven. If it does, once again I correct it with the Tabs. Turning is always fun...In 18 Classics it always feels like your going to roll over Port or Starbord. Its the nature of the beast. It also might be our hull design. The sharp keel on the late 60's hulls.

Im not runnig a Cleaver but a Mirage 23 pitch. She is running approx. 64 mph at 4700rpm. I also raised my X-Dim. 1 1/2 inches. Chris...did you raise yours? Maybe thats the difference.

(NJ)Scott

CDMA
08-25-2001, 07:50 PM
Scott,

I think I know what I need to do... add tabs. My x is actually higher than yours. 2 inches. I am running a 21 cleaver to 5000 rpm @ 63 mph ( gps 2 way pass 1/2 fuel 2 people). My porpising is not really bad at all. None with 2 people and only very slight with 4. Only at mid speed as well. While it is very minor is is more than the zero porpising I had last year with my volvo. I honestly belive it is the cleaver prop. I think I will add the bennet tabs I have in my garage and try a mirage. I just hate how those damn tabs look... think I could use the k planes waiting for the 22 ;).
Chris

Scott Pearson
08-25-2001, 10:37 PM
Chris,
Sounds like a plan. I dont think the tabs look bad at all. But I never saw my boat all together without then either. I have a 23 pitch Cleaver. I will give it a shot and see what happens when I have a chance. It should be interesting. A few people have said I will see a better top speed...I dont know.

(NJ)Scott

Formula Jr
08-25-2001, 10:51 PM
CDMA, alot of us old guys were learning alot by your investigations.....Keep on Keeping on. Force us to be on the edge. Its all good......