PDA

View Full Version : ford alternator set ups.

Moody Blu'
08-23-2001, 08:27 PM
I just replaced the water pump today with a brand new jabsco unit.

2 days ago I put a new alternator belt on.
it was LOOSE.
this happens all the time!
I have to tighten the alternator all the time, because the belt keeps stretching. Since the alternator set up IS CRAP.

anyone know of a differnet setup I could use,or better yet same setup, but STRONGER ARMS??
this is driving me crazy, please help!

Forrest
08-24-2001, 10:41 AM
In addition to the lousy altermator mounting system, do your pulleys have any rust in the area that the belt rides? Do you get black crap in your flame arrestor and on the front of the engine? If you do, it's the belt that wearing down because of the abrasive corrosion in the pulleys.

Give this guy another star! :eek:

Moody Blu'
08-24-2001, 08:28 PM
nah the pulleys are NEW, but the junk alternator arms are bending and the alternator does not line up right with the crank shaft pulley, so thats why its wearing.

I am aboutto call summit and order a billet alternator bracket.
the guy at summit said it mounts on the water pump area(both brackets). so it might work with a little modification. being that the brackets were made to bolt on the water pump, so I might add some spacers.
well see, ill order the brackets on monday

so scott, you have anything to add to this?
or do forrest and I have to deal with this burning belt problem our entire lives?

I for one am sick of the gooey black junk! :mad:

Moody Blu'
08-31-2001, 10:26 PM
Well, I received a MARCH alternator bracket kit from summit racing. :rolleyes:
To my dismay it would not fit, my header water inlet got in the way.
Not to mention one of the bolt holes for the timing cover was COVERED by the H/M motor mount. :rolleyes:

So I am sending it back in great dismay. :o

DOES anyone know a alternator setup I could use for a ford engine????

Other than the stock H/M setup

Hopefully she wont overheat anymore, I got her some nice sheildflex water intake hose.

help help help!!!
need a reliable alternator setup!!

oldLenny
08-31-2001, 10:54 PM
Without knowing anything about what I am currently typing about, isn't there a "negative offset" pully you can get for the armature and (and/or) mount an intermediate phenolic tensioner half way up?

Moody Blu'
08-31-2001, 11:15 PM
len that sounds like something I will have to look into.

Ill just let the alternator bracket go all the way loose and then add a tensioning arm.
hmm that MIGHT work.

anyone else got ideas?