PDA

View Full Version : Engine Building Advice?

Rodger
10-21-2002, 09:46 PM
After 15 years and about 1200 hours use since I built my turbo engine, I'm probably going to go through it this winter. In the past I've always used .005" over size Speed Pro rings and fit each to the cylinder bore. How about the Total Seal piston rings? Has anyone used them and how do you like them? Are they as durable as standard configuation rings?
Thanks.

Chummy
10-23-2002, 06:21 PM
If you are talking about the file fit rings they are great I used them in a engine I rebuilt. It takes a little time to file the rings to the correct size, but well worth it. At least so far. wink

Cuda
10-23-2002, 06:23 PM
Wow! 15 years and 1200 hours!!!! I would build it just like before. :)

mphatc
10-25-2002, 07:14 PM
Total Seal rings work, but you need to be cautious on your piston ring groove design. Total Seal uses rings from various applications dependant on bore size and piston ring grove width/depth. You can select a total seal top or second ring. Their oil rings are often from other manufacturers and sometimes may not work with your pistons.
With a turbo engine you need to be aware that you will really change your compression ratio under boost and may well see pre-ignition or other difficulties that you have not experienced prior to this.

I can appreciate your desire to wring more power out of your engine, but after 1500 hours of reliable running what you change now may bring you into a new round of challenges.

mphatc, builder of many race engines of German heritage . . .