PDA

View Full Version : BBC oil pan and camshaft selection?

David Witt
12-18-2001, 11:32 PM
Just started the restoration..I pulled the big block chevy and found numerous automotive high performance items the worst offender a big comp cam..cut on a narrow centerline 108..The previous owner of the boat said it sounded good for just a little while..The motor was water seized when I bought the boat..Question..Do I need a dedicated V-drive oil pan..yes it is a V-drive..If so whats a good one..How big a cam does it take to push a hornet to 60-65 mph with a 468 oval port motor..550 lift and 230 duration on 112 centerline?

BigGrizzly
12-19-2001, 12:26 AM
I have two boats one has a 351 Ford clevland and a 502 with a blower both have cams with 107 and 108 respectivilly with no problems either idling or otherwise. the spec you gave is ambigious. Thoes numbers need opening,closing and overlap numbers. With a V-drive you need great midrange and upperent torque to accumplish it. Call Crane and ask them what they have that will give power from 3000 to 5000. I like close lobe centers and steep ramps with a long flat duration. Both my boats have great mid range and top end.

Randy

AIRGRADY
12-19-2001, 07:39 AM
YES, YOU NEED A SPECIFIC V-DRIVE OIL PAN! The engine sits backwards. I bought a Dooley Chevy Big Block 12 quart pan from CP Performance for my v-drive. What generation big block are you using?

As far as 60-65 mph in a v-drive Hornet, I think 60 is an easily obtainable number since mine runs 59 on gps with 3 guys and a full tank of fuel. Maybe a 400 horsepower 454 before the motor let go. I seems to be expensive to make the v-drive Hornets fast.

Rick
12-19-2001, 08:30 AM
I agree with Grizz when I called Competition Cams they asked me specs on the hull, weight, motors, and of course workable power range...What did that old ad say lie to your friends, but don't lie to your cam grinder.