PDA

View Full Version : Expert Opinions

wje
08-22-2001, 02:09 PM
I've been enjoying this site from the sidelines for the past year or so and, at long last am ready to jump in. As much as I like to think I know everything and never need advice,I am at odds with what to do with my beautiful 1973 21GT.
She has been sitting in a barn, unused, for the past five years after I tore out the existing power which was a 402 BB coupled to a 270T drive. At the time it was my intention to spend some serious dollars and repower with a new 502MPI Bravo 1. Shortly after this I departed for Australia where I have spent the majority of the past 10 years and the project was shelved as I went through a horrific and expensive divorce in Australia.
I now have this magnificent vessel, the object of my childhood fantasies, with an empty engine bay and a Volvo Penta transom cut out. I have the opportunity to purchase a mild 350 SB (300HP) with a VP 280 (fresh water only) ready to install for $3500.00 which is in my short term budget. Or should I wait another year or so until I can afford a new BB / Bravo package? Do I want to go with a MerCruiser when I appreciate the original aspects of a VP? While it would appear she has had several repowers over the years, the boat is otherwise quite unmolested. My gut tells me to bolt in the small block, use the boat a few years and then undertake a BB repower when I am more financially able. Does any one have any idea of what sort of performance to expect from a 350 small block in this hull with a 280 drive with nose cone? Any and all input will be appreciated and welcomed. Thanks.

Formula Jr
08-22-2001, 02:20 PM
You got that 350/vp 280 for a song! You're good for 55. Put it in and give us two extra years to droll over your GT when you bring it to events. :)

mattyboy
08-22-2001, 03:51 PM
Jr's right get it running with sb\volvo setup
and work out the cobwebs that are bound to happen, then weigh the choice: originality or
speed and/or both! I want both! (sorry hearing little voices again.) I'm not and expert but I think your boat is pretty rare originality might be paydirt.Also don't rule out a different volvo drive 290 or a duoprop no transom work. post some pics if available. The members here have a wealth
of knowlege like Jr and Biggrizzly and the rest of the guys. and if your tired of your project I'll bet someone will take it off your hands!
Good luck
Matt
68 16 351h/m

Forrest
08-22-2001, 03:53 PM
Yea, I agree use it now . . . max it out later! Also, Nate (jamesbon) is going to have a hard time controlling himself once he reads your post!

-----------

Forrest

South of Climax, GA (home of the famous Swine Time Festival (http://www.swinetimefestival.com/)), but way north of the madpoodle!

JP BRESCIA
08-22-2001, 06:42 PM
Where have you been? We want pics. Black and white or whatever! :eek:

Moody Blu'
08-22-2001, 07:51 PM
here is my 2 cents.
you could get it running for the $3500.
and run into problems / or not.
or you could save that money and wait till next season (since the summer is almost over)
I garauntee that youll find a way to make money faster if you BUCK UP for the bravo and 502 mpi.

if you throw in the volvo and that motor for 3500, thats 3500 more youll have to come up with for the BAD ASS PROJECT. I garauntee youll kick yourself if you spend that 3500.

TAKE YOUR TIME, ( I wouldnt say that if it was the begining of summer) but there are like two and a half good months of boating left, not that much!

I say go for the 502 mpi and bravo, other wise your gonna have to put an engine in TWICE and bolt a drive up TWICE.

remember if you buy that engine drive combo for 3500 thats 3500 more you have to save for the mpi and bravo.
plus It will probably be hard to sell the drive and engine combo once you use it, or something like that. :rolleyes:

BigGrizzly
08-22-2001, 09:00 PM
I say put the engine combo in now. There is nothing wrong withe the Volvo Penta and it is as strong as the Bravo Plus if a 502 comes along and you have the bucks it will bolt directly on what you have. If you wait something else will always get in the way. I have never been ashamed of my Volvo in my Corsican, and it showes a roster to most other 18's. Get the engtone and drive now and come out and play NOW. One more detail the 502 MPI is slower than the carbureted model. I have over 690 hp from my 502 and it has a carburetor.

Randy

Formula Jr
08-22-2001, 09:52 PM
Also, lets put this in a "non-performance" perspective. If I had waited a year to fully restore my boat to where I want it, I would have missed out on:

Two weeks running the Chesapeak.
Lake Seminole
Dexter Lake
Fall Creek Lake
Lookout Point Lake
Running with the Big Dogs at AOTH
Another week on the Chesapeak
Toledo Bend
Lake Powell
Upper Snake River
Owyhee Lake
Odell Lake

and Tahoe.

Somewhere along the way, I forgot that I cared if it EVER got correctly restored. Rig it and run. http://www.epud.net/~owen/yes.gif

Jamesbon
08-22-2001, 10:15 PM
Whew!! (Thanks Forest!!) :D

Formula Jr,
Good point, well put!!!

Congrats WJE! No matter what your GT is powered with, she is a true GEM!

I had a 350/Volvo in my GT for 12 years and all I ever wanted to do is go faster, but never got there with my SBC.

It really boils down to your own personal preferences.

If your budget's the determining factor, and you're dying to drive her, put her together now and run her as long as possible.

If you have the need for speed and can wait a while, throw a HUGE BBC in there and a Bravo or Arneson. Yes, I like the Volvo's too, but nothing beats, hydraulic trim, tilt and steering! PERIOD!

C'MON GT owners, FESS up!!

Oh yeah, POST SOME PICS!!!!!!!!!! WE all LOVE THEM!!

wje
08-23-2001, 08:34 AM
Thanks for all the great support and positive input. I'll get some pictures and post them. I am going to do the engine bay prep work over the next while and then go with the 350/VP set up so I can use this fine vessel next spring and worry about getting completely a**l about it in the future. I am in the northeast and have access to a great winter workspace, so I can focus on a winter project this year.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
08-23-2001, 05:17 PM
Take it from a guy who missed 6 weeks of boating this year. Do the SB and enjoy your boat, I am in a club of 13 where I am one of the slowest two or three boats, who cares! I have a boat and she runs... I too dream of the BBC procharged, yada yada yada....

Our day will come my friend... now get to work and take some pictures for us all on your first break. Some here won't rest until you do!!!
I don't see what state, where are you?
Good Luck, Bryan

Blewbyu
08-23-2001, 06:11 PM
I agree with the "stick it in and go" crowd.I lost the BEST 5 weeks of boating in Washington this year when I blew an engine.It was like missing a leg all that period.If you piss around saying you will save for cubic inches,chances are you'll lose interest.As Griz mentioned,the 290 is plenty beefy and will take a BB.Do it now.A Donzi with a motor can whip everything on the Lake just by LOOKING like it's faster than anything else!You have a great boat there! :D

Looped
08-23-2001, 08:58 PM
wje,
If you are still in the Maine area, drop the sbc setup in her; get it running and head over to Lake Winni. We could always have a GT cruising about!

Craig