PDA

View Full Version : Trailer for GT 21

Formula Jr
10-21-2002, 03:34 PM
Guys, I need info on a trailer that will work for a GT 21. The Trailer guys here, don't have a spec sheet for the GT 21, but they do have specs for the Classic 22. I need to know the exact length and weight of a Classic 22 or Criterion. These they have setup specs for. Also if anyone has info on equivilant hulls to the GT 21, Such as the MONZA 21 that will really help me get the best fit.

Thanks

(from the kill zone)
Owen.

RH
10-21-2002, 04:13 PM
Formula, have I been living under a rock? Do you have something new to your family that you would like to share with others in our group?
RH

Formula Jr
10-21-2002, 04:27 PM
Well, I was bored one night in December last year so I won an eBay auction on a '73 GT 21 in New Hampshire. It's a sickness. (look under pearson, allard, forrest et al. for a good description of the condition known as donzitis)

So here I sit now, in Naptown, with a 3760 mile gap back to my place. The trailer it came with, will not make it back, thus the questions. I guess I could have bought a boat in Seattle, but what fun would that be? :D

Woodsy
10-22-2002, 06:02 AM
You are where??

Anyway, my 22 Classic weighs in at 3800# with 1/2 tank gas & other accesories... I thought you already picked up the 21 GT?? The marina that had that boat is all of 1 mile from my house...

Woodsy Von Donzi :D :D

Formula Jr
10-22-2002, 07:37 AM
Thanks Woodsy. I'm in Annapolis, Maryland. I had the boat transfered here early this year from NH.

Sniper struck again @ 6:00 am. :mad:

oldLenny
10-22-2002, 08:37 AM
3700 miles drive. WOW !!! You got me beat by 1000 miles. Good luck with the trailer and tow home. Talk to ya soon. Sorry, know nothing about GT21's and weight issues...

pmreed
10-22-2002, 08:52 AM
Check with Nate (Jamesbon, member #50), he's got a GT. It's still in pieces, but I'm sure he can give you the info you need.

Phil

jwright
10-22-2002, 10:11 AM
I bought a trailer for mine in 1998 from Vanguard in Indiana. I think they have changed names since.
As I am sure you know it is different then a 22. The GT 21 has rocker in the bottom, my trailer had to be reworked because when I recieved it the transom was an inch from the bunks. Once the bunks were raised at the transom it fit great. I beleive mine is set up for 4,000 lbs capacity, it has worked great.
Drop me a line, I would be glad to share more of my experience. I appreciate all the informative posting you have done in the past

MarkGT
10-22-2002, 01:49 PM
My 21gt sits on a tandem axle trailer surge brakes build for a 225 Welcraft. I couldn’t justify $2.5-4k for a new custom trailer when I found one 3 yrs old & only used 6 times for $1,400!! :D It’s a bit long, but I have plenty of room to open the van doors when hooked up. I may slide the boat farther forward to protect the Arneson drive but may end up with too much tongue weight.

If you go with a used trailer I think most trailer center bunks if close together could be shimmed with a few washers. The difference in hull angles over 12” usually is not much more than the carpet thickness. I towed mine home 55 miles with one 2 x 4 on each side at the transom, then added 2x6 spacers between the risers and the bunks after getting home. (You can see these in the picture). Repainted it red to match the boat …two full days labor & 100 bucks. I was planning on cutting new risers for the outside bunks to match but still haven’t made them yet. This is fairly easy to do, just need more time!!

I think I may have deleted the ACAD transom view of the boat with dimensions. I’ll have to look on some other disks. If you need some simple dimensions I might be able to help this weekend. The old brochure listed the gross weight @ 2900 lbs.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/21gttrlr.jpg

Formula Jr
10-22-2002, 03:18 PM
Thanks Guys, I think I got it settled. The rocker isn't going to be a problem as I'm getting a Haul-Rite roller trailer, 3700lbs, tandom, surge, galvanized for $1960.00. MD Temp tag good for 60 days. Good to know the weight came in around 2900lbs gross. :D