PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Pick A Donzi Out!

unknown user
08-21-2001, 12:04 PM
Hello all! I'm looking to buy a used Donzi. I can remember as a tyke out on Lake Candlewood in CT, my brother used to point out these beautiful machines. I fell in love since day one. Now that I'm older, kinda financially secure (Well as secure as you can be while serving in the Armed Forces!), I'm looking to pick up a used one. I've been looking at the Boat trader, ETC, just trying to get a feel for what Donzi has offerred. I have some boating experience, having piloted my brother's Cobia Cuddy here an there along with a couple of my friends boats. This will officially be my "First Boat" though. I have some requirements, perhaps some of you guys can help me out. Here Goes:

1.) Must be a Donzi (No Brainer :D)
2.) Under $18K preferrably
3.) 20' or larger
4.) However much I *Love* the Classic, the lack of storage space/room would piss the wife off too much.
5.) No open bow, looking like a cuddy.
6.) V8, SB or BB is fine.
7.) Something that is quick or could be readily modified to be quicker ;)
8.) Capable of being towed/launched by a V8 Ford Explorer.

What I have found so far are the older "Z" series. What's the difference between a "Z" and a "ZX"? Does anyone know any good reference online that show the different models over the years? Thanks in advance, I know it's getting later in the summer but better late than never!

Ryan

EricG
08-21-2001, 12:27 PM
First of all, welcome to the group!!!

Now, your questions....I bought an 88 Z21 last year because of the same reasons you mentioned - the look and performance of a Donzi, with a little more useable space. I haven't regretted it at all, and the only complaint I have is, of course, it's not quite fast enough with the Smallblock/alpha combo - but at least it's turnkey reliable with almost 600 hours on it.

The current ZX series is sort-of the evolution of the 80's Z series from a model lineup standpoint - but I don't belive that they have any relationship as far as design and construction. The current ZX's are stepped hulls, and are much more technologically advanced, but, of course, they also cost a lot more these days!! I love my Z, and my next boat will be another from the Z series, just a little bigger....

Overall, you can't go wrong with ANY Donzi, and I'm sure anyone on this list will back that up.

Good luck with the hunt!!

EG

Jamesbon
08-21-2001, 12:44 PM
Hmmm, in MY opinion, there is no option other than a Classic.

Plenty of storage beneath the bow.

Nathan

Formula Jr
08-21-2001, 01:12 PM
The Regazza, Medallion and LXC series might also work for you.
Check out the list. (http://www.donzi.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=002355)

Careful when looking at Donzis of this creed. Make sure its not underpowered.

RedDog
08-21-2001, 01:47 PM
Buy a Classic - don't worry about the wife - just buy her a kitchen - you'll both be happy :D

Crazy Horse
08-21-2001, 06:53 PM
a classic Donzi is a Classic.

JP BRESCIA
08-21-2001, 07:44 PM
I strongly suggest you go for a ride in both. I think everyone would agree they(ZX vs. classic) ride much different. You mentioned you fell in love from day 1 with "those beautiful machines." Ask yourself, when you dreamed of owning a DONZI, what did it look like?

Don't get me wrong, the ZX's are great machines and very fast, but, get your dream boat first and make your wife happy second. ;) :rolleyes:

Moody Blu'
08-21-2001, 07:57 PM
a donzi is a donzi is a donzi is a donzi

aheeemm, now that I got that out of the way.

well If you really need the cuddy you are limiting yourself in the donzi lineup,though, that limit stops when you get to sleep on the boat that you bought, rather than cough up some MORE DOUGH and buy a hotel room.
you really have to ask yourself ,"am I really gonna sleep on this boat?"
caus eif you dont need a cuddy, you could buy a 22classic, a 20critereon a ?'minx, corsican, ETC

if you want more than 20' and only want to spend 18k think HARD about that cuddy cabin, you would have many more choices,and a higher top speed :D, just do what red dog said."buy her a kitchen" !!

CrackerJack
08-21-2001, 08:27 PM
What an exciting non dilemna. I would agree
with JP, however my wife got the kitchen
first. At that date in time I was interested
in a boat. My younest son brought to my
attention a boat he saw and knew I would be
interested. It just happen to be a 16' Classic. This just happen to be the only
boat that I dreamed of as a teenager.
In my humble but accurate opinion you
cannot make a wrong (Donzi) choice.
I purchased my dream with the help of all
on this board. Thanks Jack.

unknown user
08-21-2001, 09:21 PM
I will definately take a ride in both first. However, based on what I've seen (and my $$$ situation), I'm leaning towards the Z21. It still has that "Donzi Look" and with the cuddy, it would suit my needs. Now granted, that could all change after a ride in one, we'll have to see. I'm just basing what I know from what I have read here and elsewhere, no firsthand knowledge. It looks like a few members on here have been in the 60's with their Z's, so that's a plus. I don't mind tweaking on an engine either as I have done this with just about every car I have owned (My Current car is a Mazda Miata with a 302 Ford :D). By the way, to the guy that asked, the first Donzi I remember seeing was a sweet 16. I remember it stuck in my head because my brother mistakenly told me they had 454's in them. "16'er with a Big Block!!?? No F*'n way!!" Of course, poking around now, I know that's not true (But I'm sure someone, somewhere shoehorned one in). I also recently saw what I believe to be a 22' Classic (Red/White) in an Issue of "Hot Boat". As I was looking at getting a boat anyway, it kind of rekindled the interest. Plus, the more research I do the more I want one :). Thanks for the help, keep it coming! Any Z pics out there!?

Ryan

jdsdls
08-22-2001, 07:22 AM
I had a Z21 for the money right now I think you could find and older Z25 or 24' black widow and the extra 3 feet will help out alot.

Moody Blu'
08-22-2001, 07:47 AM
I remmeber readin about those miatas with 302's talk about a sleeper that car will eat up practically everything, vette, mustang, non turbo porsche, non turbo 300zx. ETC
well a turbo z too but not my old on!91 tt-

Maybe you should be lookin for a donzi with a ford setup, so you can take that supercharger off of that miata(if it has one)if not you could buy one and switch it back and forth :p
In the winter with the miata and then come spring throw it in the boat :eek:

unknown user
08-22-2001, 10:37 AM
>I remmeber readin about those miatas with >302's talk about a sleeper that car will >eat up practically everything, vette, >mustang, non turbo porsche, non turbo >300zx. ETC well a turbo z too but not my >old on!91 tt-

Ok, way off topic here but I figured I would throw it in :). The previous owner (and original owner) was a woman who worked for Stillen Motorsports (Big Nissan tuner). I have a magazine spread of my car where she was quoted as saying "It eats Late Model Vettes and 300Z TT's for Lunch!" :D In all reality, I haven't raced a TT personally but the quarter miles comes up in 12.8 and this is with a stock (for the most part) 92' 5.0 engine. I have a GT40 intake, aluminum heads, cam, and a couple other bits going on this fall. She's a quick little tramp, but I digress. If you want some more details, feel free to E-mail me. I love talking about her. Back on to Donzi's, anyone have any pics of the Black Widows' (24')? Is the hull basically the same as a Z21 or Z25? Top speed (Stock)? Thanks again!!

Ryan

EricG
08-22-2001, 11:19 AM
Taken from my someday to be published Z boat page for Owen's Donzi list:

Z25
(aka 25 Firefox)
LOA: 24'7"
Beam: 8'6"
Deadrise: 22 degrees
Draft to Keel: 18"
Draft Outdrives: 34"
Approximate Weight: 4,200 lbs.
Fule Capacity: 66 Gallons
Standard Power: Merc 330 HP
Optional Power: ?

Z21
LOA: 22.5'
Beam: 8'5"
Draft to Keel: 20"
Deadrise: 22.5 degrees
Approximate Weight: 3,200 lbs
Fuel Capacity: 61 Gallons
Standard Power: Mercruiser Magnum 350/Alpha
Optional Power: Single Engine to 330HP

I don't know the spec's of the Black Widow off hand, but I think since it's a 24, it would be closer to the Z25 than the 21. I do know that since they only made the Blackwidow for a short time, there are not many out there for sale. They were made in the heart of the OMC era, which means you have to consider the availiblility of drive parts, etc. going forward....but the 89 & later Z boats have the same issue.....

Once again, try them out and see what meets your needs....I don't think you'll be dissapointed with any DONZI!!

EG

Here's a link to some Pic's of my Z21 (including some of the cabin)
http://home.talkcity.com/RallyRd/egudgel/Donzi.html

jdsdls
08-22-2001, 03:01 PM
This was in the local paper....
Power
DONZI Z25 '86 300hp Merc Cruiser Tempest. 247 hrs. VDO gauges, trim tabs. Captain's Call. O effort controls, GPS. Classic low serial number, exc cond. $13,500. (860)621-6127