PDA

View Full Version : Gas Milage question.....

Stix Magill
12-15-2001, 01:52 PM
I am planning a longer cruise in the spring and need to know what gas milage I can expect from my 20 Minx with stock 350 mag and 4 passengers. It has a 40 gallon tank.

Thanks,

RickR
12-15-2001, 03:12 PM
Figure around 3mpg at cruising speed.
When cruising leave yourself a 33% room for error.

2biguns
12-15-2001, 04:40 PM
Where are you headed? I drive by the mechanic's shop every day and look at my motorless boat and dream of spring. Everything was ready to put together then we found that the freaking timing chain cover has the wrong bolt configuration and we're scrambling to find the right one.

We're planning our Rendezvous 2002 for May and have a Guntersville - Chattanooga - Knoxville trip in the works. (Guntersville to Chattanooga on Thurs and find someone to drive trucks empty trailers to Chat., then to Knoxville on Friday, play on Sat and back to Chat. Sunday and trailer home. The issue for me is not going to be gas mileage but spending limits on my credit card.

Sam
12-15-2001, 09:14 PM
Scott everything is relative, I get .8 mpg with the mother ship. Anything above that is a bonus for me. By the way what kind of trip do you have planed.

Sam

Stix Magill
12-15-2001, 09:26 PM
Distance is relative. This cruise would take me through 3 locks each way, from all the way up Yellow Creek where my lakehouse is to downtown Tuscaloosa to dine at Cypress Inn. I haven't researched the distance yet, but I am estimating 3 hours each way. I have never been on this stretch so I need to do some serious research before we try. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

:)

Sagbay32
12-15-2001, 10:09 PM
Well, i have an 18' classic w/ 350 mag and three hours usually means 20 bucks if running fairly hard. :D

2biguns
12-16-2001, 07:11 AM
Exactly where is Yellow Creek? We have traveled the Warrior from above Tuscaloosa to Demopolis and let me tell you, gas is HARD TO FIND! There is a nice lake above Tuscaloosa where I think some marinas are around, but from Tuscaloosa south is nothing. Still, it was a great trip because of the solitude. Saw a couple of bald eagles and two of the locals who were too excited to go get a room.

We were on the last leg of the trip and had enough fuel to make it back, so we (I was in a 22' Stryker and a buddy in a 31'Formula) were running about 65 and came around a bend and there they were--like a deer in the headlights, too shocked to remember what they were doing. The chick just grinned and waved. It was a hoot. Gotta love Tuscaloosa.

We went by Cypress Inn and saw their dock. What a great place to go visit. I'm envious.

Stix Magill
12-16-2001, 04:49 PM
Steve,

Yellow Creek is a huge very long and quite wide (in areas) off of Bankhead Lake. It is over 8 miles long. I am the 3rd cabin from the last, so I am on up in there! I can get to Bankhead Lake/WarriorRiver in about 5 minutes or so. There is a very cool river bar in the general vicinity of the mouth of Yellow Creek called King's Point. We love to go there and sing Kareoke and throw darts. They are very nice to us "city folk".

Come see us!
:)

Stix Magill
12-16-2001, 04:56 PM
Hey Steve! About the sex deal. That is not uncommon where we cruise! People around here have "outdoor sex contests"! Weird, but, whatever! Things could be worse you know!!! :rolleyes:

RedDog
12-17-2001, 07:43 AM
2Biguns - Keep me posted. I would love to hook up with your gang when you hit Knoxville. My favorite ramp is about a 10 mile cruise to downtown where docking, fuel, food, and beverages are available.

If you can, avoid the AOTH II weekend - 5/9-14/2001. I suspect most (all) local Donzi folks will be going to AOTH.

2biguns
12-17-2001, 08:17 AM
Dog: We had originally planned the weekend of 5/9 through 5/12 until someone realized that May 12 is Mother's Day and none of us relished the thought of being grounded (I'm 40 and I still get tossed into the dog house from time to time).

We'll arrive in Knoxville on the afternoon of May 17 and will have May 18 as a free day. We have dock space arranged at Vol Landing and are staying at the Hyatt. We'd love to hook up with you on Saturday.

I'm still trying to figure out a way to get my future Mrs. to take two weeks off from work and go to AOTH the weekend before and Knoxville the next. I already have a rehab picked out to check into the Monday after we get home!

ToonaFish
12-17-2001, 11:31 PM
Steve, don't worry about rehab, just threaten to jump off the cliffs before Nickajack!

http://www.donzi.net/photos/CHoward04.jpg

Bunches,
Celene 'knowing the pic thingy won't work' Howard

ToonaFish
12-17-2001, 11:49 PM
(I really did read the directions...)

[img]http://www.donzi.net/photos/CHoward04.jpg[img]

ToonaFish
12-17-2001, 11:51 PM
http://www.donzi.net/photos/CHoward04.jpg