PDA

View Full Version : Clearance problems on exhuast

TORYSMINX
08-20-2001, 10:47 PM
I just got the motor back today and I have a few minor problems. One is that the exhuast is to close to the valve covers. I was wondering if I could double up with some copper exhuast gaskets to make up for this. I am only off by under an 1/8 of an inch. Is this advisable. If not I am going to have to change valve covers.

Second, my mercruiser throttle bracket is a shad to thin. I may have to tap the manifold for these to screw in but I do not want to go down this road. I am having trouble finding an aftermarket setup so I may have to custom make a fitting .One for the carb studs and another peice of metal to screw in the throttle arm. Any advice as always would be great. Check out www.racesearch.com (http://www.racesearch.com) seems to be pretty good.

Hope to see you all at the Lake george event. Thanks!

Tory

Classic Razorback
08-21-2001, 12:00 AM
Hey Man I had those clearance problems also. I called Schoenfeld Headers (501-474-7529)and ordered the flanges (before they welded the pipes on them). The people were real cool.
Flanges were 20 bucks each half price of anyone else.
Some flanges are stamped out and some are CNC'd. I used one of each on each side.
The flanges are 1/4 inch thick.
I needed a half inch of clearance,and as far as my linkage stuff I had to drill a new hole in the plate that mounts to the exhaust elbow and bend the bracket for my water seperator which also caused me to have reroute the fuel line to the seperator.
This worked great!!
Any questions I talk faster than I type
501-927-9324/cell 501-790-3227
good luck
chris

TORYSMINX
08-21-2001, 08:52 AM
I may have to contact one of you for the spacer info. I am trying the double gaskets tonight.

Jamesbon
08-21-2001, 12:47 PM
I ground a notch in my aluminum valve covers for clearance. And yes, it was a PITA too.