PDA

View Full Version : Black Widow 24

fobes
12-14-2001, 05:43 PM
Anyone have or have any experience with the Black Widow 24. I am curious about the build quality and whether or not any were made with Merc power or if they were all OMC. I had a 1986 Minx and it was a great rough water hull with excellent build quality. Any info would be appreciated, Matt

komikazee
12-14-2001, 11:06 PM
Fobes,
I've owned my 24' BlackWidow for about 4 yrs. It handles fantastic, I've run it in 3 to 5 footers at 45 to 50 mph running with the waves of course! I couldn't believe the way it handled( really sweet ). Mine has a BB Ford 460 CI with the King Cobra outdrive. I can't tell you whether or not they installed Merc's in that boat.
Are you checking on this boat for purchase? From what I've been told, OMC owned Donzi at the time the BlackWidows were manufactured. If you buy it I'm sure you will be as pleased as I am.
Tracy
Komikazee

fobes
12-15-2001, 07:02 AM
Tracy: I saw your boat in the registry, that is one great looking machine. Does it feel like its bigger than 24' because it looks like it is, it seems like a lot of boat. Does it have good freeboard? What is the top end with the 460? Any info you can give would be appreciated, good luck and happy holidays: Matt

komikazee
12-15-2001, 09:00 PM
Matt,
As far as length goes, when you first start driving the boat it seems to be a lot longer. The nose sticks out there a long ways. On the trailer it gives the illusion of being a lot longer also. It tops out in mid to upper 50's depending on conditions, weather, prop, fuel, passengers. I do need to ask a stupid question though, I'm not sure of the term free board.
The only drawback that I have found is lack of storage space. Not much for the size of the boat. I can put up with that.

Tracy

fobes
12-16-2001, 12:20 AM
Tracy: I was wondering about the amount on hull thats above the water when the boat sits at rest when I was asking about freeboard, do you feel like there is boat around you? I seems from the pictures that that hull has plenty of freeboard. Donzi makes a great boat I had a 20' Minx a couple of years ago and that was great in rough water. Do you have any more pics of the boat online? Stay in touch and happy holidays...Matt

komikazee
12-16-2001, 07:59 AM
Matt,
Before I forget, have a great holiday, and hopefully you get to have all your family together, so you can enjoy their company.
Sorry I get talking about Donzi's and forget the important things.
I don't have any more pixs. I'm always in the boat, and forget to have someone get pictures.
Right at the transom, the waterline is about 4-6 inches on the side, but the bow sets fairly high. I have always felt like I had a lot of boat around me. I started with an 18' Thompson bowrider, unbelievable difference. The pounding in 1'-2' waves was terrible, the way the Donzi cuts thru the waves you don't hardly know their there.
You must be looking to buy this boat. You never really said for sure. Well good luck! I can't beleive that you would regret the purchase, hopefully some care was taken with it.
Again enjoy your family for the holidays, and let me know what you decide.
Tracy

fobes
12-19-2001, 06:38 PM
Tracy: Thanks and happy holidays to you and yours. Yes I would like to eventually buy a 24 Black Widow so I appreciate all the info you've given me. Are you going to the Miami Boat Show? Please stay in touch and again have a great holiday...Matt