PDA

View Full Version : Outdrve problem

MXRoadster
07-21-2002, 12:45 PM
Here is what happened, yesterday I was out on the boat and we were doing about 55mph for about five minutes when all of a sudden it seemed like the boat went into neutral, it felt like someone hit the brakes and the rpms shot way up. So I pull the throttle back and shut off the motor, we then pull my buddy off the dash (he was in the back seat) luckily the only injury was a cut finger. I am really lost to what happened, there was not any type of warning, no bang or grinding noise to speak of, nor did we hit anything in the water. Afterwards I restart the motor and notice the water temp is about 210 degrees, normally she runs at 150 to 160 degrees. Now of course the drive won’t engage the forward gear and when I tried reverse the motor dies.

Today I went to drain the outdrive oil and when I removed the oil plug the oil spit out at me (scared the crap out of me too!). So the outdrive had some built up pressure and the oil seams to be burnt (the oil has maybe 4-5 hours on it). I did not find any metal shavings in the oil.

The outdrive is a Merc 260 s/n 6290238 (from what I understand is it is an early alpha) and the motor is a new 383 that is not even broken in yet. Does it look like the outdrive is shot and needs a rebuild or is it possible that there could be a quick fix. I have a Bravo One on the way but I don’t really have the cash for the transom assembly right now. I was hoping to swap over to the Bravo in the winter.

Thanks for the help,
David

And who is the jerk that said “If it wasn’t for bad luck, I’d have no luck at all”?
Right now I think I’d prefer no luck at all!!!!

Rootsy
07-21-2002, 01:32 PM
ouch! motor overheated and it won't shift into forward or reverse, well ok reverse but it kills the motor.... likely the following...

upper gearset probably took a flying crap... remove the (4) 3/8 12 point bolts - use a 3/8 12 point socket... on the very top of the sterndrive and pull the cover off to take a look... it has an O-ring so be careful.. just twist back and forth gently and pull upward evenly... might have to use a screwdrive in the access slots provided to get it started... this will give you as clear a look at the upper gearset as there is.

since there was no metal on the plug in the lower your bottom is probabyl intact...

might as well find taht bravo transom assy...

Formula Jr
07-21-2002, 03:40 PM
D@ve, you h@ve @ type l/MR. S@me drive @s me but you're pushing @lot more bo@t. Ge@r R@tio should be l.50:l. You c@n buy complete drives for @bout ll00 doll@rs @nd bolt on. Odd th@t the only thing th@t ch@nged on @n other wise working drive, w@s the repl@cment of the engine. Sorry to he@r of your wooes, but th@ts @ll p@rt of sorting out @ first se@son bo@t. Best Guess right now is they did'nt get the @lignment right @nd th@t she@red the engine coupling which lost power to the drive, which stoped the impeller @nd so it over he@ted on the short dur@tion the drive w@s not pumping.

MXRoadster
07-21-2002, 05:01 PM
Thanks guys, I did as Jamie said and he is correct. The upper gears are wasted and they can no longer be called gears. I guess I will start looking for a Bravo transom assembly. If anyone has any ideas on where to get a good deal on one please let me know.

David