PDA

View Full Version : Cleaver ?

Sam
12-13-2001, 05:20 PM
Has anyone used cleavers on the smaller Donzi's, 16-18 foot. If so what were your results, good our bad. Also,can anyone tell me how they differ from conventional props as it relates to their design intent.

Thanks
Sam

smokediver
12-13-2001, 05:28 PM
hey sam , let me know if you want one. there is a little prop shop down here and they have a stainless cleaver for 150 that would fit your boat. I think it is a 23 pitch. it has a solid hub. I think they are a little slow out of the hole and there handling depends on the setup but they are very fast. I have a 16 w/ a 4.3l 1.81 ratio , I turn a 14 x 24 at 5000 rpm. I think it is a stilletto prop. saving for a turbo.

Sam
12-13-2001, 05:33 PM
SmokeDiver, I have tried twice to win a bid on Ebay for a Turbo. Both times I was smoked at the last second, and I mean last second. Anyway I will keep the 23" in mind.

Thanks
Sam

CDMA
12-13-2001, 05:34 PM
I run one on my 18. Cleavers tend to work well in higher x dimension drives. My boat runs 63-64 with a mirage and 61-62 with the cleaver. I run the cleaver because it creates less lateral torque. For example as a right hand prop rotates it tends to lift the starboard side of the boat. A cleaver will lift the side of the boat less than a round ear prop will. The reason I run the cleaver is that unlike most my boat is LH steering but the god awful alpha drive turns right. If I am alone and really really running hard I can start to lift the right side ever so slightly and not land as level as I would like.

I cleaver also to create more stern lift and less bow lift so the boat also tends to run more level. It seems that in most cases a round ear prop is the ticket on an 18 ( usually a mirage) and if my drive spun left which my bravo ( converting from alpha to bravo) will I would run a mirage.

Chris

CDMA
12-13-2001, 05:36 PM
Oh yeah if you want to try a 23 cleaver I have one you can try for shipping costs.

Chris

boldts
12-13-2001, 06:36 PM
I knew a guy who had a late 70's 18' Classic. Was running a 350 Chevy with a TRS behind it. He used a cleaver prop, but I do not know the size. I drove the boat once and the boat ran staight as an arrow until you got up into the upper 60's with it trimed out. It then started to chine walk but with the use of the tabs, you could get her settled back down. Cleavers are meant to be run in a ventalated position. Blade in and out of the water at the same time. This is why Chris's higher X dimension works well with this type of prop. Only problem he had and something you might want to take into considerstion, he jumped a wake and when the prop grabed again, the valve train ate itself. Ended up putting a valve through a piston. Like I said, not sure of the size, but it had to be at least a 15 or 16" Dia.

anotherScott
12-13-2001, 06:42 PM
I have run a clever on my 18' for about 18 years now. It is an alpha 1 with a 351 ford. Very happy with the performance.

Scott

Ranman
12-13-2001, 06:57 PM
Sam, I know this is a bit off topic, but when you get your motor done, you're more than welcome to try my 25P Mirage Plus. I bet it will be close to what you'll need. My guess is a 23P or 25P depending on how many ponies you end up with. I know the Mirage works very well on my setup, but I don't know how it would do on your 16 as far as handling is concerned. Anyway, the invitation is always open.

Sam
12-13-2001, 07:08 PM
Thanks Randy, I'm negotiating with a guy on line for a 23" Mirage, I should know tonight.

Sam

turbo2256
12-13-2001, 07:24 PM
I have used Hydromotive Intimidater props on my last 3 boats and they work great. They are a four blade and sort of across between a cleaver amd a round ear and have a great exchange policy. They come in one inch steps in pitch were most come in 2 inch pitch increments. This means the pitch is closer to the advertised amount. Their warranty is great too.

Sam
12-13-2001, 07:41 PM
Turbo, I see your from Mich,what area ? I also snooped in your profile and saw you are a product designer. I spend a fair amount of time dealing with automotive teir ones. If you don't mind me asking who do you work for.

Sam

Gearhead99
12-13-2001, 08:21 PM
I ran a cleaver on my 18 and Cigarette too. They were great in the top end. Slipped alittle coming up on plane.

The Donzi, [18] had a Volvo 270 drive modified for merc props.

The Cigarette had TRS.

Both boats chime walked up around 70. The 18 REAL bad.

turbo2256
12-13-2001, 08:25 PM
Hey Sam I dont mind...Ford

Sam
12-13-2001, 08:41 PM
Turbo, we do a ton of Ford work, mostly clusters and other IP stuff. Send me an e-mail with your phone number and maybe we can hook up some time.I assume you are in the Dearborn area.

Sam

Sam
12-13-2001, 08:49 PM
Randy, I just closed that deal for a new 23" Mirage Plus. Now I just need my boat back and some water.

Sam

Ranman
12-14-2001, 07:45 AM
Good deal Sam. I'm hoping to get out "on" the lake in a couple of weeks with Voodoo (Lee). Snowmobiling that is.

Voodoocanoe
12-14-2001, 11:11 AM
Randy, You read my mind, I was just talking about ordering new ice picks yesterday, but no real hurry since it's 45 degs and raining anyway, last year at this time we had a ton of snow already :(

Sam, How's Lenny doing on your engine up grade?

Ranman
12-14-2001, 12:08 PM
Lee, My machine is still at Flannery Polaris. Doug has had it since October 15. I talked to him the day before yesterday and he told me it's pulled a best of 161hp on the dyno (132 was stock). He said he's going to squeeze a few more hp out of it though. I hope to have it back soon, but I know Doug needs some snow to dial in the clutches. Since I mostly trail ride, I've got 192 Woodys Gold Diggers (which won't be the greatest). Any ideas for enhancing traction but maintaining trailability?

Woodsy
12-14-2001, 12:34 PM
Maybe we should move this conversation over to amsnow, but what didn't you like about the Woody's? I gotta stud both of my XC-800's and I was told that they were pretty good. I was going to go with the 'Double Digger" pattern. Any advice would be appreciated before I go and spend $800 on studs & backers.

Woodsy :D

Ranman
12-14-2001, 02:18 PM
Woodsy, The Woodys studs are fine for performance trail riding, but in order to really hook up and win races on an icy lake you need drag picks or shovels. My analogy would be they're the difference between a drag radial tire and an all out slick.

Sam
12-14-2001, 02:58 PM
Lee,I just spoke to Lenny today and he said he has the motor out. I am going to pick the boat up tomarrow so I can start my engine compartment painting. As far as the parts list, we pretty much have that nailed down. He won't start any real work untill the new year, thanks for asking.

Sam

Voodoocanoe
12-14-2001, 05:32 PM
Randy, As far as I know there are no real dual purpose trail/ice studs, most of my friends that trail/ice race have 2 tracks 1 with picks and 1 with trail studs.
There are usually 3 or more race tracks plowed out on Anchor Bay on a typical Sunday and there always seems to be 1 that the real serious guys hang out on and they will not let you run with studs because they snowcone and tear up the ice, ice picks only, it's sorta like street racing they spend more time BS'ing than racing, it's fun beating these guy's in the old sleeper bar crawler sled :D clutching and traction is the name of the game out there, lots of HP is not going to get you anywhere unless you hook up, some friends of mine have bone stock sleds with their clutches dialed in and traction set up and they really rock.

Just looked outside and it's snowing :D

Sam, Good to hear that, If you get a chance Email me the parts list.

Ranman
12-17-2001, 08:04 AM
Lee, I'll have to just come and watch if nothing else. No snow forcasted for the next 7 days....Damn.