PDA

View Full Version : Dead Batteries!!!

Crossbow
10-19-2002, 12:59 PM
Help , just went down to check on the boat and the bilge float switch must have stuck on , result , two dead batteries, closed engine hatch and no way in to jump batteries . anybody dealt with this before, can I jump the batts from the battery swicth? My old Z25 had slack in the lifting rod to get your hands in to undo bolt ,guess that wasn't available on the Z33's Any advice?? :confused:

Fish boy
10-19-2002, 04:56 PM
Dont know the year and configuration of your boat, however, on a 1987 Z25, I had this problem. I grabbed the hatch and yanked upwards. The latch inside was designed to slip if yanked upward in case something like this happened, and it released allowing me to open the hatch without battery power.

I do not know if your model is similarily designed, however, perhaps some of the gurus on the donzinet page might be able to add some insight. Good luck.

kk89z33
10-19-2002, 09:28 PM
I would plug the boat into shore power and turn on the battery charger. That is if you have shore power,and a built in charger??

pmreed
10-19-2002, 11:09 PM
See if you can get power into your system via the accessory receptacle, what we used to call the cigarette lighter socket. You just need the appropriate plug connected up to a 12v source.

Good luck, Phil

Crossbow
10-20-2002, 08:14 AM
Phil ,I think you hit the nail on the head I just got a cig lighter to cig lighter adapter and I have my fingers crossed that I can back feed enough juice to open the hatch, will post if sucsessful ,thanks Rich :cool:

BigGrizzly
10-20-2002, 08:53 AM
Chge the batteriesthrough your cicarette lighter to open the hatch. Don't use a fast charge 4 amps max. This one of 30 reasions I have a lighter I even used it during the 4 of July when I had a problem on the Criterion. In fact I carry a cigarette liter charger/jumper with me all the time, mostly to help others. Other option is bat switch and ground the out drive- very risky.