PDA

View Full Version : V-Drive water pump question.

AIRGRADY
12-13-2001, 04:10 PM
I am in the process of repowering the old Hornet and have come across a water pump problem. It seems there isn't a gen VI timing cover that will work with the old Neovane water pump. I was hoping to use the old pump for simplicity reasons. Since this isn't an option for me anymore, I would guess a conventional belt driven water pump is in order. However, since I do not have an outdrive that houses an impellor, what will be required when using the belt driven water pump? Will I need a seperate water pump to feed the belt driven one?

Any feedback/suggestions/opinions?

Thanks,
Grady

MOP
12-13-2001, 04:47 PM
Are you running a small block chevy? If so try to get a look at the crank mounted unit on Volvos, it would be the only pump you need its a Jabsco with very good volume.

Phil / Long Island

olredalert
12-13-2001, 06:42 PM
Mercruiser has a stern mounted water pickup that ought to work.Its been around forever.You might explain exactly why your current set-up doesnt work as one of these guys is sure to be able to help...................just.......ol red!

olredalert
12-13-2001, 06:45 PM
Was just rereading your post and it appears I misread it slightly,but my second part still may help........red!

Jamesbon
12-13-2001, 06:55 PM
I like the crank mounted pumps...they eliminate an extra belt...

Are you using one raw pump or a raw water & circulation pump?

Glad to hear she's coming along!

Nate

Rob
12-16-2001, 02:29 PM
Scott (the poodle one):

I assume the crossover with a thermostat housing you are talking about is for a SBC? My 16 has the original hm 302, with a crossover in place of the circulation pump. That's fine, except there is not a thermostat anywhere in the system. Consequently the engine always runs way too cool. First I thought my temp gauge was broken, finally I realized the engine just didn't get hot enough to move it.

So do you know if anyone sells a crossover with a thermostat housing for a 302 Ford?

harbormaster
12-16-2001, 09:46 PM
I really do think that I actually have one in my garage...

Greg
12-17-2001, 02:01 PM
Madpoodle, Respectfully speaking, If no one else here has spoken up and is in need of the raw-water pump and bracket for the sbc,please let me know, as I am in need of both. Thanks Greg

BigGrizzly
12-17-2001, 09:32 PM
The 302 ford crossover is the old H&M set up that had a plat that bolted over the water pump/ timing chain cover. there was a bypass that jumped to yje water outlet that bypasswd the t-stat to cool the exhaust untill the t-stat opened. The t-stat had three holes in it that allowed water to pass through it to keep it moving so hot water wouldn't be trapped in the block and over heat. yhe problem is that the timming chain cover still corrodes and leaks into the engine or outboard. I ended the problem in my windsor type blocks by usinf a closed cooling system. You just got to love them no more problemsdue to corosion. A heat exchanger a auto circulating pump some hosr from the raw water pump to the exchanger to the exhaust and its done.

Randy

harbormaster
12-18-2001, 07:14 PM
http://www.donzi.net/photos/housing.jpg