PDA

View Full Version : New outdrive comes and guess what?

Bryan Tuvell
07-20-2001, 07:48 PM
OK, brand new drive, I am there at the dealer, they unwrap the Merc box, unnseal her, life is GOOD. Bolt her on, and I notice the sticker on the drive is 2.00 not 1.65!!!!
Drive is installed at this point, we check the order on the computer, the part # shows both ratios for that drive part #...
Marina owner says, take it, spank it and we will order the corect ratio today, and install it the second it comes in no wait!
Cool....
SO, of course I do the math and figure my boat will break my neck from 0 to 40 but top speed will likely be 50.... The guy apologized and said on the bright side, less teeth, therefore stronger, thicker, maybe you won't break her, just add some more prop pitch and all will be fine. Well, I just did the water test, light chop, took the RPMs to 4000 (no WOT) and I was 53 GPS and 55 Speedo.... 1200 RPM still left and yet to be tested, I am waiting till I get some hours on her, just like last time. These numbers are the same as my last ratio! WHAT GIVES???? Help me out here technical guys!!!!

So did a slacker at Merc put on the wrong sticker?

Should I have seen a bigger difference in performance?

Or, when I do get some time on her and spank her to 5200 RPM will I not see 65? (Merc Bravo I is still on the boat!

What do I do? Go ahead and say nothing and have the new correct ratio put on, or accept this?

Thanks guys in advance as always.... maybe I am having a few years of strange luck all at once.
Bryan

[This message has been edited by Bryan Tuvell (edited 07-20-2001).]

Ralph Savarese
07-20-2001, 08:10 PM
How about mark the front pully on the engine and mark the prop and see what ratio it is!!
Ralph

Bryan Tuvell
07-20-2001, 08:14 PM
Ralph, sorry, that is a bit over my head, I am a non technical guy? I do not know what I would do next after scribing each!

I know for certain you can open the top and count but do not want to do that.
Bryan

Ralph Savarese
07-20-2001, 08:56 PM
Put the engine in foward and turn the front of the engine by hand by the bolt in the middle of the front pully . See how much the engine turns to one turn of the prop. You should be able to tell because you are talking over a 1/4 turn from one ratio to the next
Ralph

[This message has been edited by Ralph Savarese (edited 07-20-2001).]

Bryan Tuvell
07-20-2001, 10:04 PM
Thanks Ralph, maybe I will try that tomorrow eve, I will be on the water a good 12 hours tomorrow so I will spank her on the way home. That will be the tell tale.... if she hits 65 then in my eyes that was a screwed up sticker.

Would there have been a significant difference in performance based on ratios?

Bryan

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-24-2001, 05:00 AM
STATE FARM came through for me! They footed the bill for the entire drive! The process was slow and I think I got a few more grey hairs from worry, but it worked out.
Bryan

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-24-2001, 09:00 PM
madpoodle: I really do think there has been a sticker mistake, 2 men, full bag of gas, 4000 RPM has always equaled 55MPH, 53 GPS.

I have yet to go wide open, FEAR and lack of trust at this point. New drive with the correct sticker is on order, should be in Thursday or Friday, I guess I will let them put it on, a no wait deal, drive in, drive out 2 hours later.... I really do wonder....
I boated all weekend on the wrong ratio sticker drive and I was fine.
Who knows at this point...
I did order a drive shower since they say alpha's are the second hottest running drive and bravos are the coolest....
www.driveshowers.com (http://www.driveshowers.com)

I will keep you posted Scott, I hope this reply finds you and family well, life is pretty damn good here, boat is home and I got my 3K back! (thank god because momma was pissed at the check I wrote, our winter cruise was now at risk!)
Take Care and stay safe........
Bryan

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-25-2001, 06:38 AM
Scott, great info thanks. I have read allot and talked to a few folks, well see, a shower certainly doesn't hurt me any, so we'll see.

thanks again, Bryan

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-25-2001, 12:10 PM
Mercruiser customer service called me this morning and they say that is the correct drive etc.... They say the label is incorrect, but could not explain how the mix up happened.
I will keep the drive.
Bryan

Rootsy
07-25-2001, 12:26 PM
here in the engineering world i think we call that human error... that's why we have QC and audits... but hey.. no system is perfect!

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-25-2001, 02:19 PM
jaroot, I agree, my family and I are just glad she is back home. We had a great I mean GREAT family boating weekend.

Thanks for the input. Bryan