PDA

View Full Version : How far will you run for lunch...

boxy
01-16-2003, 08:19 AM
FrankC, Extreme Measures, and I were talking last night in the chat room, and we are trying to work up some destinations for the Sound of Thunder 1000 Islands get together.
How far would you be willing to run for lunch. I figure an average pace of about 40 mph, with occassional bursts of WOT.

Dr. Dan
01-16-2003, 09:27 AM
:cool: Everyone wants to run their boats...but at normal high speed cruising for 2 hours...you'll be dead by the time you arrive for lunch and only want BEER! :D I think it should be a reasonable distance so everyone can enjoy the ride....not just the lunatics in the bigger Donzis....but the smaller lunatics also wink . Keep that in mind .....nothing says it's gotta be a straight line run, you could easily stretch it into a scenic cruise as well, which it will be anyway, cuz it's so pretty up there! Lookin Forward to whatever you all decide...we just appreciate the opportunity to participate and enjoy the great company... :p ...Doc

boxy
01-16-2003, 09:32 AM
Thanks Doc, the question wasn't as clear as it should have been. We will not be running 2 hours with out a stop. The lunch stop that we have talked about is about 1 hour away at cruising speeds, but it can be stretched into a nice cruise by making a couple of stops in some beautiful bays on the way up, and a couple of local "rest stops" on the way home. :D

mattyboy
01-16-2003, 09:56 AM
not far in a 16 at 40+
don't worry I'll pack a lunch,just bring back some fuel for me and the boat if you know what I mean wink

Matt

boxy
01-16-2003, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the input Matty, this is the stuff I need to know :D

How far can you cruise before needing fuel ?

What is a comfortable cruising speed for most of the classics ?

Rootsy
01-16-2003, 11:54 AM
i probably average about 70 - 80 miles a tank at 3500 - 4000 rpm... stock motor would get better yet...

Shanghied Again
01-16-2003, 07:58 PM
Boxy. You got to know me, Heck I don't think twice about running 140 miles, Isn't the Singer Castle about 45 minuetes away form the Boldt Castle

Extreme Measures
01-17-2003, 04:23 PM
Boxy Their is an awesome beach at Simcoe Island that we can hit after we have lunch.All sand bottom great place to raft up and have a cold drink and talk to our fellow Donzi lovers.This beach is only 5 minutes from our lunch stop. :D
Your Friends In Boating
:cool: Extreme Measures :cool:

MOP
01-18-2003, 01:50 PM
Hey Boxy I will be based at Blind Bay at my buddies island as I am sure you know that is north of Chippawa Bay. Where does that put me in relation to the lunch spot. I think the run from Blind Bay to Alex Bay is about 20 miles.

Murphy
01-19-2003, 08:03 PM
Sounds like you guys know the waters pretty well. I boated from our place on Grennell Island off Clayton for nearly 20 years. It is a boaters paradise, but I learned pretty fast that you've got to respect it more than most waters. One day down by Alex Bay my sister wanted a closer look at a cottage. I was thinking of running by at speed for her but that tingle went up my spine and I brought the throttle back to a dead crawl. As we passed between two Islands, I heard gravel on the keel. The next thing I knew, we were aground. When I jumped out to look, we were in 6" of water sitting on a 2" island-to-island power cable. I carefully lifted if off the tip of the stern drive and managed to get us into deeper water without damage. It was the healthy respect my Dad gave me for that river that saved us that day. Almost everyone you meet has stories like this about the Islands. So my advice on distance and time is this:

1) Stay on the "beaten path" in waters that our leader knows blindfolded, in the dark, with a hangover. Distance is not as important as really seeing the beauty of this place. There's more awsome water within 15-miles of Alex Bay than anywhere on earth.
2) Make getting home before dark a priority. Leave a healthy margin for error. There is not a more confusing or dangerous body of water on earth after dark.
3) Adjust the plan for boats under 22'. If we get lucky and conditions are prime, no problem. But big water like this has a nasty habit of misbehaving when you least expect it. If the wind kicks up, running a 16 footer 30-miles home in 3-4' caps would be a Wily Coyote experience.

Probably preaching to the choir here, but like I say, the 1000 Islands have my deepest respect from a risk avoidance point of view.

Murph

ToonaFish
01-19-2003, 08:07 PM
Maybe I'm slow on the draw... but is this place where the salad dressing got it's name?

Bunches,

Celene 'trivial'

mphatc
01-19-2003, 09:00 PM
I like your comment Murph, and certainly don't want a 2 hour run at 40 mph plus, The time we will have up there is short and I'd like to see the area while there. Maybe , if I had a 33ZX I'd feel diferently, but I believe most of us will trailer in something smaller. :)

Mario L.
69 Corsican

blackwidow
01-19-2003, 11:40 PM
Hey Toona, I wouldn't say that you are slow at all.....I'll bet that some people never even knew that this area is where the salad dressing came from. It was invented out of necessity and carried on from there. There is a lenghty story but it is better with beer!!!

blackwidow
01-19-2003, 11:40 PM
Hey Toona, I wouldn't say that you are slow at all.....I'll bet that some people never even knew that this area is where the salad dressing came from. It was invented out of necessity and carried on from there. There is a lenghty story but it is better with beer!!!

Murphy
01-20-2003, 01:05 PM
Mario,

Thanks for the feedback. I was hesitant to say anything cause I don't want to appear negative in any way. My wife, having traveled to some of the most beautiful places on earth, still claims the Thousand Islands is her favorite spot. There are vast square miles of deep, open water that can be navigated safely by locals who know the routes. This will be a super event if the weather cooperates, and at that time of year it's generally good. My Dad boated there every day for years and never had an accident, but he did assist in several rescues and recoveries. I used to go up for 2-3 weeks each summer to visit. When I piloted the boat it went like this. "When you pass this inlet, bear well to the North because there's a bolder the size of a Buick about 10 feet off your port bow". Sure enough, I'd see the shadow. Sometimes this advice would come in the middle of open water and I'd think he was nuts, but then I'd look at the chart and right there in 80' of water was a 1' depth marking. So when you're out of the main channels close-in to the Islands, you either learn this pattern of cow paths to follow or use your compass and charts to navigate point-to-point. Now... having said all this, please, please, please don't anybody reading this think of staying away. The locals will keep you safe and sound... just follow their advice and you'll have the time of your life.

Murph

boxy
01-20-2003, 01:17 PM
Just to clear a few things up for Mario, Murph, and I'm sure some others who seem to be confused by my question.

We will not be hopping in the boats and putting the hammer down for 2 hours to get to a bar/grill for lunch.

That being said some the boats that will be coming could be described as "vintage", and I was just trying to get a feeling for how far they would be willing to run in a day.

I've got to talk to Frank, and Chris, but Friday will probably be the "Castles" run, shake off the rust and visit some local interest spots, ie. Worlds Smallest International Bridge, and a great passage between a couple of islands, complete with ancient Indian hieroglyphics. Saturday will probably be a full day run, run, coffee,run, swim, run, lunch, run, swim, run, museum, run, happy hour, walk, dock, happy hour.
It will be possible to spend the entire weekend on the river, and never travel the same channel twice.

Murphy
01-20-2003, 04:48 PM
Boxy,

Sounds fantastic. I see now what you're looking to find out. Didn't mean to butt in... just couldn't control my enthusiasm... I'm incredibly appreciative that you are putting this event together.

Best Regards,

Murph

FASTEDDIE
01-20-2003, 05:35 PM
One destination that would interest my wife and I would be to visit the Antique Wooden Boat Museum in Clayton,New York and maybe a run to Canada to get some good Cuban cigars. Can you work that in to the schedule guys? :cool:

MOP
01-20-2003, 07:56 PM
Thank god we are hashing things out now, there are so many great places to see and to go that it may be prudent to try to make up schedules with back ups. As mentioned by Murhpy I also have been the victom of having to go 30 miles north in real snotty conditions after a beautiful day. One thing to make note of if it does get bad usually the Canadian side is not as bad as the US side. If you get brave and decide to explore go slow with the drive trimmed way up(Aluminum props are a good idea for the explorers). I have jet skied most of the area and even on that shallow beast I had a few heart attacks. Beyond all of the afore mentioned " A time will be had that will not be forgotten" Everyone will want to return!

boxy
01-20-2003, 08:28 PM
No worries Murph, and for the record this is FrankC's baby. He concieved it, and he is doing all of the work, all I'm doing is trying to provide a little in-country information.

Eddie - the musuem will definetly be on the list.

Murphy
01-20-2003, 09:30 PM
Fasteddie,

On the topic of cigars... You should try a "Counterfeit" Cuban Corona. Rated by Cigar Magazine as one of the best under $4 smokes. Made in Nicaragua. My current favorite. Most good cigar shops should carry them or available on the web at www.counterfeitcubancigars.com (http://www.counterfeitcubancigars.com)

Murph

Shanghied Again
01-21-2003, 05:54 AM
Eddie, How is this one the classic boat show at A-Bay is the same weekend, They have the welcome mat out for us DONZI owners. I may put my sons 16 in the show, while we are out driving around! :D