PDA

View Full Version : What's the best throttle control?

roostertail
12-12-2001, 01:26 PM
My 1994 18 Classic has the Mercury Commander 3000 throttle control that came stock when I bought it. I don't have any major complaints about the Merc control other than it feels somewhat chintzy and doesn't move very smoothly. Are the new Mercury controls better or are there other options that might offer more smooth and precise control?

I'm sure to catch some flak for asking but has anyone considered mounting a Gaffrig fiberglass throttle pod to the cockpit wall so that a dual lever control could be installed? Gaffrig Throttles (http://www.Livorsi.com/throttacc.htm)

Looped
12-12-2001, 01:44 PM
I’ve thought of the same idea but for $169 plus the glasswork that needs to be done you’re better off making a better looking one yourself that could blend into the dash and side so that it looks like it was meant to be.

Now I’m giving out my little mods but oh well.
Craig

EricG
12-12-2001, 04:41 PM
My Z21 has got the Merc Zero effort controls (just like the gaffrigs) and I love them! I really like the control that the separate gear-shift and throttle gives you, especially when running hard. Even before I bought a boat that had them, I always figured I'd try to put that style controls in an 18 if I bought one, I just think it would be a cool mod. I'd love to see someone do it....

Just the opinion of a non-classic donzi owner...... :rolleyes:

EG

Shanghied Again
12-12-2001, 05:28 PM
Gaffrig also makes the one arm lever control that takes the place of the MerCruiser handle it is Chromed. The Gaffrig controls with the pod is an expensive item. I ws going to convert my 22 to them, The levers are over $400 and the pod was 170, 500 if you wanted the trim in the handle :eek:

Formula Jr
12-13-2001, 02:55 AM
Eric, I was one those snobish people that would not let the Z-boats into the club, but i have changed my mind (the only way you know you have a mind is if you can change it). That whole series was designed to be off-shore run and abused. The Z non-stepped boats are classics - and that includes the BlackWidow set. Everything after that is for to other people to decide.......

EricG
12-13-2001, 10:38 AM
Actually Owen, I feel very welcome in the group with the Z, and as you know, I'm trying to do my part to get them even more accepted (knowledge is the key, you know). I was only making that comment this time because I actually don't know how realistic Zero-efforts would be in an 18 because of space, so I thought I better qualify my recommendation as someone who actually doesn't own one. :)

Now, ever since my dad and I bought the Tahiti last year, I've been planning on replacing it with a classic....because....well....they are. :D

EG
-So I guess we have to wait for Scramarama II for the rest of the "who's chicken" story?

Blewbyu
12-14-2001, 06:44 PM
I have a single lever Morse shifter,and a foot throttle with a return spring which acts as "deadman" throttle-returns motor to idle if you get ejected.Only slightly less effective than the lanyard.Foot throttle is very easy to maintain speed in rough water-contrary to popular belief.Use an aircraft type twist throttle to maintain cruise speed in calm water-has an E button to zero the throttle.Have found this combo to work great in my X-18.Still wear a lifejacket 100 percent of the time!Coast Guard has NEVER had a verified case of a capsize where the "stowed" lifejacket landed in the water next to the ejected driver. :rolleyes:

Blewbyu
12-14-2001, 06:49 PM
P.S.-Read above posts re:bent boats for some
lanyard thoughts!
Very much looking forward to the "Who's Chicken" story............. :rolleyes:

Donzified
12-16-2001, 08:09 AM
My foot throtle saves me alot of pounding. When things get hot it's nice to have two hands on the wheel.Timing is everything if you can let up on the gas at just the right time you can save yourself a hard bump or just save your motor in mid air or ease it in after rentry,sometimes thats tough when your hands are busy steering and holding on.When I bought the X-18 I didn't think I would like it, but now I would't do without it