PDA

View Full Version : Correct size trim tab for 16' Classic?

Kikwear
01-15-2003, 10:04 AM
My boat gets unstable up top and I was told that tabs will even out the ride and eliminate some of the twisting the boat does as it comes out of the water. Is this correct? What size would be ideal for a 16' 350? My choice would be to go with Bennett unless otherwise advised.

Tidbart
01-15-2003, 11:48 AM
This should answer your question.
Go and check out their product also. I have them in my 18 and can't complain. I would definitely consider them over Bennett Tabs because of their warranty and their cost. They have great customer service also. http://www.trimmaster.net/id116.htm

Bob :)

Ranman
01-15-2003, 12:19 PM
Kikwear,

Although what Tidbart is telling you is correct, I will provide a slightly different answer. I should also note that my 97 18 Classic has the Trimmasters and I am rather pleased with both the product and customer support.

Now, that being said...

The Bennets and the Trimmasters are VERY similar (almost identical in my eyes), however if I were to buy today, I would go with the Bennets. This is mainly because a Donzi.net member (Tabman II) is associated with Bennett and posts technical information regarding trim tabs when the topic comes up.

I was even more impressed by Tabman when I saw a response from him regarding a trim tab question a few days ago. I had assumed when he registered on the site months ago and answered a member's question back then, he did it to get the sale and would disappear. Like I said, to my surprise I saw him on a few days ago and that gets alot of credit in my eyes. I would much rather use a Recommended Source from Donzi.net, especially when that source participates regularly on the site.

Now as far as the size and type you should use, I'm not sure, but I suspect the Tabman will chime in with what you need.

Just my opinion. Good luck with your project.

Tony
01-15-2003, 02:51 PM
I, also, had an excellent experience with Bennett. Via e-mail and phone, I had three conversations with them helping me troubleshoot my problem. They were very patient and detailed, and even sent me a small cylinder for the top of the solonoid...for free!

Never once did they ask how old the tabs are, (they are likely very old), they simply SUPPORTED THEIR PRODUCT. In my mind this is a lost art, and very much appreciated by me.

Danny
01-15-2003, 06:19 PM
When I bought my 16 the previous owner had purchased a set of 8 inch Bennetts and I got them with the boat, brand new still in the box. They were easy to install and have served me just fine. This may be overkill in a 16 but next time or maybe even yet I might look at installing trim indicaters too.
Danny

mattyboy
01-15-2003, 06:57 PM
I have 12 X 9 boat levellor tabs on my 16 ( 351w) and they make a world of difference, but be careful I have caught a trim tab in a turn not a fun expierence,

I would recomend a trim gauge so you know where they are ( my next upgrade)

Matt

Sam
01-15-2003, 07:03 PM
If your talking about chine walking, tabs will do little to correct that with out sacrificing performance. Having said that I put a set on my sixteen and would highly recomend them. The sixteens are very sensitive to weight placment and wave conditions over 1.5 ft. I have 8" tabs and they do the job just fine.

Sam

Tabman II
01-16-2003, 09:18 AM
Good morning gentlemen,

I am Thomas and I work for Bennett Marine in the Client Service department. I keep an eye out for clients with questions or needs here at Donzi Registry, which is a proactive part of my job here at Bennett Marine (email). In fact, you may have seen me post at other boating forums under the same name (Tabman II), so let me get started!

Kikwear,

The Donzi 16 is a very sweet vessel and the ST9 Sport Tabs tends to be the trim tab choice most clients install. They will improve your hole shot & slow speed planeing; they should cure the chinewalking. But as Sam states you may sacrifice some speed, since you will be putting more of your hull back in the water to gain control. How much is hard to say, but you may have some hp left that isn't been used since you are dealing with the chinewalking as it stands. Only you know if you have anything left, but many clients tell me with the added stability/control that gain by adding trim tabs is worth the small amount of sacrificed speed. Also, when you follow the installation instruction you will be able to retract them fully, as if you didn't have trim tabs at all! They are 12 x 9 trim tabs with 1" Up Fins on the sides to provide added strength in the Chord (fore-to-aft) dimension. They are Black Powder Coated and the kit comes with the Rocker Switch Control standard, which most of our clients want to begin with. Also, all of our trim tab systems come with a 5-year warranty that covers everything from the control down to the trim planes themselves (of course water damage and electrolysis is not covered), but as Tony stated our warranty is fairly liberal and know though out the marine industry. The kit retails for $645 at any of your local marine dealers &/or catalog retailers, so use the ST9 part number to shop around for your best deal.

I hope this has helped you and if you have anymore questions, please feel free to voice them here or contact me at trimtabs@earthlink.net. I look forward to your reply.

Sincerely,
MJ Thomas
Bennett Marine, Inc.
www.bennetttrimtabs.com (http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com)