PDA

View Full Version : My dumb question of the day!

Stix Magill
12-12-2001, 11:19 AM
Please don't laugh too loud.

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I can't find my oil filter on my 1997 350 Mag Mercruiser. Please tell me where it is and what would be the best filter to use when I winterize this weekend. I will use Mobile One.

Do I have to get down in there to change it? I'm 6'3" and 200 lbs. and would like to avoid it if possible!

Thanks,

Scott

:rolleyes:

Ranman
12-12-2001, 12:03 PM
Stix, My 97 MAG350 has the oil filter upside down right up front. (see pic) Maybe yours is relocated as I don;t know how you could miss it. I only use Mercruiser filters and oil as I'm a sucker for the OEM stuff. Other members will tell you what is good to use. To get the oil out, the Mercs have male garden hose threads on the dipstick tube. You buy a pump at the marine store that screws to the dipstick tube and lets you suck out the oil. Be sure to warm it up good on the ears first though. I would not attempt to pull the drain plug on the pan. Sorry about the pic size as I don't have the softwareat work to resize it.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/ROak_EngineCompartment1.jpg

Stix Magill
12-12-2001, 12:20 PM
Mine is not there Ranman, thanks though. My engine is carburator, not injected. I wish mine was there! That looks easy, but messy. I have already bought the pump to pull the oil through the dipstick tube.

Thanks,

Scott

:confused:

mikev
12-12-2001, 01:09 PM
if it is on the block it is under the engine on the port side of the motor in the back next to the oil pan. that is unles GM has redone the small block casting in the last few years which I highly doubt.

Stix Magill
12-12-2001, 02:13 PM
Thanks Mike. I was afraid of that. I'm gonna have to get in there. Wish me luck getting back out!

Once again the board has helped me with the Donzi!! :)

RedDog
12-12-2001, 02:14 PM
Ranman - I normally keep my boat sodas in the built in cooler - did you run out of room or just like hot Bud :D

Ranman
12-12-2001, 02:25 PM
Reddog, I was hoping nobody would notice that, but then again, how could you miss it. I keep the "full" sodas in the cooler, however, the empties must go the the dungeon in back.

I wish I could modify the injected motor. It's the only small block that I've seen with the MPI and I don't think there is anything I can do with it. It seems like Merc didn't offer it for very long. I love this injected motor though as it starts and idles beautifully and will outrun pretty much all the other Merc small blocks.

Sam
12-12-2001, 05:57 PM
Scott don't feel bad, when I first got my 16 it took me a few minutes to find the filter. As soon as I did I had a remote filter mount installed. There was no way I was going to mess with it down there, best money I,ve spent so far.

Sam

Formula Jr
12-12-2001, 09:57 PM
Merc use to say, not to use dual stage oil filters. I think Mobile 1s are dual stage.

Stix Magill
12-12-2001, 10:49 PM
Owen,

I am going to use a Mercruiser filter if I can find one. The oil I'm using is Mobile One. I really believe in it, but hey, what do I know, I can't even find the freakin' oil filter! I will look into the remote filter. That sounds like a great idea!

Scott

:)

Stix Magill
12-12-2001, 10:51 PM
Sam,

Where can I find a remote oil filter like you have?

Thanks!

Randy Hibbard
12-13-2001, 03:59 AM
Stix, go to the registered boats page, look up Tim Howlands Minx and bring up his engine picture, (Thanks Tim!) Here is what your factory oil filter should look like. On the left forward side of the engine it screws in from the bottom. And yes, you can fit in there, I do at 6 foot 2 and 230 pounds. Slide off the engine cover with some help if needed, first. When you install the new filter, remember to fill it with fresh oil first before installation. The filter on the right side is the fuel filter and change that once a year or so as I do. I`m not sure about oil types, I need merc oil for its' anti foaming agents - cold weather brings oil up the breather tubes to the carb when I run straight w40. Just pull off your flame arrestor once in a while and make sure no oil is around the carb. Remember, no question is a dumb question, I'm a 747 mechanic but did'nt know crap about Mercruiser or boats until I found this site and learned from all the people here...Thank you guys and thank you webmaster Scot! Keep that Minx beautifull!

smokediver
12-13-2001, 06:31 AM
I change the filter on my 4.3 . the filter is on the port side all the way aft. I am 6-4 225lbs and I am in a 16 so a "little" guy like you should not have any problems! So I look like herman munster in my boat but I love it !

Sam
12-13-2001, 05:24 PM
Scott, I got mine from a Merc dealer, it ran me $180.00 for parts.

Sam

Blewbyu
12-14-2001, 06:59 PM
Scott-check with a local speed shop or a 4X4 truck store-either should have it for a whole lot less than $180.00.However-the Merc unit for $180. probably includes an oil cooler.If you don't have an oil cooler already-get the Merc unit.