PDA

View Full Version : Sold the Scarab, want a 33zx non step...

jb
10-16-2002, 09:13 PM
Any out there. Speed is not an issue, thats why we dont want the step. Its all about the cabin!
Any good bad or ugly on these boats?
Thanks!

Woodsy
10-17-2002, 06:01 AM
JB...

I don't know what your budget is, but I know where there is a BRAND NEW 33ZX for about $120K.... with twin HP500's...

Woodsy Von Donzi :D :D

jb
10-17-2002, 09:04 AM
Thanks woodsy,
Do not want to spend new boat dollars.
Less than 100 is my budget

Digger
10-17-2002, 10:28 AM
jb, I'll give you a few observations about my boat.
positives:
--the cabin is very useful, headroom is more than may be expected, starts just under 6' at the hatch then tapers down to under 5' as you go forward under the foredeck. V-berth is plenty long and comfortable for two people. The head installation is first class, vacuflush head is outstanding. no muss, no fuss, very clean. (as long as you keep up with pumpouts, watch the waste tank level closely) plumbing is good. expansion tank keeps water flowing at a good rate. 20 gal frsh water tank. icemaker is Norcold, reefer is U-line, both well established quality fixtures. Sink is stainless and functional. I have never used hot water heater, but shower option is viable. wrap-around settee is useful, table when set up is good to go. storage areas under vberth and settee adequate. good lighting.
ride/performance--I get low 60's out of this boat with stock 502's. This boat is not for speed junkies unless you are prepared to go big on motors. Non-stepped hull is very sticky. She is also heavy as hell, over 10k. which all adds up to a very comfortable ride in pretty nasty conditions. I have been astonished at times at how the boat takes big water.
cockpit/helm--very comfortable. through 96 Donzi sub contracted seats to McLeod, the best in the business. The bolsters are heavy, solid, comfortable. electric footrest and seat pan, also five independent air bladders in each seat controlled by rocker switches to adjust lumbar/kidney support. overkill? possibly, but holy cow does it feel good, you can get yourself positioned and squeezed into that seat to make you very confident that you are going where the boat goes. McLeod not installed after 97 I think, power seatpan/footrest still available however. zero effort controls are nice, gauges well laid out. All other cockpit seating is comfortable.
engine room--spacious with 502's, rigging is ok. swim platform integrated. fold away ladder is nice and functional.

negatives:
--I am disappointed at the quality of the wiring. A bit rats-nest like in places.
--filter for fresh water system and water system pump is behind icemaker, you have to take that puppy out to get to it for cleaning.
--some of the interior fixtures (door pulls, etc) are cheesy.
--electro-hydraulic engine hatch ram is toooooo sloowwwwwww

Overall I love it. Ride and performance (if speed is not primary objective) is A+ Perfectly suitable for comfortable weekending, or for finding a suitable place for ahem..recreation, or for a perfect crash pad after closing the bar.

Let me know if you need more info.

jb
10-17-2002, 11:58 AM
Digger, Great info thanks very much.
Speed is definately not the issue. I have had difficulty finding one thats fresh water or not waaaaaay over priced. Dont want to step up with the $$$ now in October!

How is your sunpad/back seat. I have seen a few that were just cushions held down with velcro.
Has that been an issue with yours?

Thanks again!!

Digger
10-17-2002, 03:27 PM
jb, you're welcome (also welcome aboard by the way). rear bench seat cushions are velcro'd in, but I don't find this to be a problem, they are one piece and heavily constructed, no complaints. Never pulled up sunpad. It too is very heavy and comfortable.

jdsdls
10-18-2002, 03:16 PM
There are two on yachtworld.com in the $80's

Fish boy
10-19-2002, 06:24 PM
JB,
I am guessing this is not what you are looking for, but I came across it on Ebay and remebered your post. It is a z30.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1870013808

Fish

jb
10-20-2002, 09:44 AM
no not what I am looking for. It is a very nice unit with a price that seems reasonable.
1995 - 1998 33zx is my target years.
Although I just was emailed about a stepped 33 2000 with 502's for 85k. I am third in line :(
:mad: