PDA

View Full Version : Chat Room

harbormaster
01-14-2003, 07:43 AM
For those of you who have not visited the chat room you are missing heck of a fun time.

I need a couple of folks to volunteer to coordinate the date and time so that everyone will know approximately when everyone will show up. You would post the dates and times. Possible a topic to start out with.

Anyone? I was thinking Lenny, but anyone is fine...

mattyboy
01-14-2003, 07:55 AM
Scot,
everyone usually checks in around 9pm eastern time and usually goes for an hour or so.
topics really evolve as people join, no set topics, but a nice way to get to know people.

I volunteer . Do you wanted posted every night?? let me know

Matt
chat board troll

Digger
01-14-2003, 08:04 AM
the chat room is bad for my liver.

Ranman
01-14-2003, 08:52 AM
I'm with Matty. We typically pop in there around 9:00 pm EST for an hour or so pretty much M-F.

Harbor is right, ya'll are missing a good time.

Silently taking credit for the chat room idea... :D

ToonaFish
01-14-2003, 08:56 AM
Just don't let Ranman pick the topic... he only talks about one thing! :p

Bunches,

Celene 'chat room is bad for her beauty sleep'

oldLenny
01-14-2003, 09:00 AM
Digger, I got "rid" of my liver...It was cramping my style in the chatroom. I think Matty is getting rid of his too...Yes, I agree, the chatroom "Troll" would be a good fit. He seems to be able to find his fridge the easiest :D :D

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
01-14-2003, 01:27 PM
Matty said it all, normally 9 EST is check in time for most. I was told last night I am one of the 15 minute club guys! So stayed an hour and Matty was right, tired this morning!
The Tuna and RACK topic was quite funny last night, no doubt especially in Texas, right Todd?

We all have labels now and favorite topics.
It is common for 3 conversations to be going at once while Lenny coordinates syncronyzed beverage shooting.
Lots of fun, thanks for making it happen Scot.
Bryan

florida gator
01-14-2003, 01:41 PM
I have been there and had alot of fun. I don't have time to go often. Unless I do something wrong, I have been unable to use my screen name. This would help us identify with who we are chatting with if possible.

boxy
01-14-2003, 02:18 PM
I finally got the network up and running in my new house, and was ready last night, beer in hand, to hit the chatroom The kids were in bed, the hockey game was on, and where the cussball did the chat button go.
Forward, back, front page, where the cussball is the button.
Oh well finish my beer close up my laptop, and watch CSI-Miami.
Get to work this morning, fire up my 21 inch monitor, open Donzi.net, and cussball there it is right at the bottom of the page.
I know where to find it, and I'll be there soon.

Stupid is, as stupid does..... F.Gump

HyperDonzi
01-14-2003, 02:31 PM
Does anyone remember at first someone who was a little against the idea for a while? wink

Good to see everyone is having fun past my bedtime. :( Friday is almost here, then I can be up till 9:30!!! :D

Tommy

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
01-14-2003, 02:39 PM
BOXY, at the BOTTOM of the page.
Bryan

boxy
01-14-2003, 02:50 PM
Thanks Bryan, I probably should have asked last night on the board. :D :D

Ranman
01-14-2003, 04:03 PM
HyperBaja:
Does anyone remember at first someone who was a little against the idea for a while? wink

Damn it Whippin' Boy! don't you know when to leave well enough alone? We had a good thing going here. Don't provoke Harbor to take it away and leave us all high and dry. :D

Seriously though, I'm glad to see that Scot and others have warmed up to it. I think the chat room has brought some of us even closer. The thing is, when you hear "chat room" you instantly think of wierd strangers meeting on the net for romance and predators looking for kids. I thought that too, but it's different here. The Donzi chat room is not full of strangers. it's full of friends and fellow boaters. See you there.

harbormaster
01-14-2003, 04:32 PM
Everyone say goodbye to Tommy (hyperBaja)
As of 8pm tonight, I am disabling his Donzi.net login. I am still trying to decide for how long....

DO NOT JACK WITH THE HARBORMASTER
(sound of Thunder...)

Brad Lyon
01-14-2003, 04:43 PM
I can not get into the chat room. My puter crashes every time. It is having major memory allocation problems and I can't find anyone who can resolve the problem. So much for thinking 768MB of RAM would help keep a computer up.

Brad

Dr. Dan
01-14-2003, 04:54 PM
:cool: Gator & Co., If it won't take a version of your screen name on the Registry...which it seldom does...you can go in as any name you choose! I use DocZilla, which it takes...but seldom allows Dr. Dan....too many other yin yangs who think they are actually as cool as me? Go Figure :rolleyes: ....Have fun with your name.....most of us force your Identity out eventually....sometimes I pretend to be a foreigner....and mess with everyone...but I get caught alot too! :p It's all good, I enjoy it alot, and I get great instant direction on my questions....like "What Are We All Drinking Tonite?.... :D .....Doc

HyperDonzi
01-14-2003, 04:58 PM
I guess I should have put more smiles in it :D :D

As for disabling it, I hope I can still read everyones posts.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
01-14-2003, 07:57 PM
Hyper, be humble, seek the master in a different manner (hint).... eek!

When do you turn 18?
Probably best you not be in the chat room anyway, some of us old people are demented (not me of course)...

Trying to type and watch the History channel as I relive 1991.

See ya OSO....
Bryan

HyperDonzi
01-14-2003, 09:03 PM
Bryan, 18 in 2 years, 3 mos and 3 days, but whose counting.

I guess it is not the best to be in a chat room @my age anyway.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
01-14-2003, 09:10 PM
HYPER, just busting on ya pal.....
We love your outlook in life....

Off to bed, this post SPARKED the chat room tonight, FULL HOUSE and a bunch of fun, I got a lesson in small block chevy bore, piston and rings..... (thanks Jamie)

Then.............
Dreaming of rack. :D

Bryan

mattyboy
01-14-2003, 09:32 PM
had a good crowd tonite but a big boot kicked all off at around 10:15???

come joins us

Matt

ToonaFish
01-14-2003, 09:38 PM
Gosh, and I thought it was something I said!

knee deep
01-15-2003, 06:30 AM
I'm going to continue to be the rebel and stick up for Tommy, nicely, of course. Harb didn't picture you as a strict disciplinarian. Heck if you really want to teach him lesson, disable him at 9:05, let him have a little taste of the fun first! Hmm, wonder how disabled I am now.........

HyperDonzi
01-15-2003, 02:42 PM
knee deep:
I'm going to continue to be the rebel and stick up for Tommy, nicely, of course. Harb didn't picture you as a strict disciplinarian. Heck if you really want to teach him lesson, disable him at 9:05, let him have a little taste of the fun first! Hmm, wonder how disabled I am now.........:) Thanks for the support.

Bryan, Y'all talked about me?

As for the lesson you learned on sb bore, could you type it up? Always eager to learn, even during exam week :rolleyes:

Tommy

harbormaster
01-15-2003, 04:30 PM
knee deep you are going down now also... :D

Formula Jr
01-15-2003, 08:40 PM
Brad, or anyone else with chat room computer problems:

This is in no way a slight to Harbormaster's hard work in putting together a very easy method of interfacing donzi.net with the IRC world, but for some configurations the java run interface is a bad fit. Particularly on the mac platform. So here's a little back ground and some solutions. The IRC chat room is what is known as a channel in IRC speak. The Channel number is 6667 and the room's name is donziboats. The channel is completely independent of the donzi.net internet site. It isn't hosted by anything and thats why Chat text isn't saved anywhere, except on your computer and those participating in the room. . Its just messages that are bounced around on the net. Most of us are using the java run shell from within Donzi.net to interface with that channel. But you don't have to use that shell from within donzi.net. You don't even have be using a browser, such as netscape or IE. All you really need is a piece of software called a client. This is like a mini browser, that only deals with IRC. There are two outstanding shareware products out there.
For the pc world, there is MIRC.
For the the Mac world, there is IRCLE.

Type either of these in a search engine and you will find all the sites that you can down load a shareware copy from.

These are alittle more difficult to deal with than the direct method Scot has set up. But once you get rid of the over head of running Java through a browser, the connection becomes very stable and fast.

Once you have installed the IRC client software, you will need to know what list of servers are relaying Channel 6667 / donziboats. You can get that list from the java sign on and select or add them to the server list in your client software. You then connect to one of the servers that are relaying donziboats chat.
Once your on one of the servers, you need to enter the right channel using the command.

/join #donziboats.

There is an entire command language that is specific to surfing chat rooms. And the Client software info files will show this language and its syntax.

You will also have to remember to terminate your connection to the room and server list at the end of the session or else it will still try to poll you till the connection is specifically ended. Chat relay doesn't know if your not still there and the Client can be running in the background.

Scot has done an amazing job of making Chat seamless for most of you PC guys out there, but I see there are a few that are having trouble. He should not have to deal with us few where it doesn't work so well since he has already done enough . We should just get our own act together.

wink

MOP
01-15-2003, 09:03 PM
Had to put on my shades got cross eyed on the chat net. And yes Scot has done a hell of a job getting it cooking along so well!

Shanghied Again
01-15-2003, 09:11 PM
Lets see if I can get in without being a guest frown

harbormaster
01-16-2003, 08:06 AM
Owen Good post.

You forgot to post your phone number so people could call with questions....

I hesitated in adding info similar to your post only because I felt it would create more work for me. :D

fasttrucker
01-17-2003, 08:31 PM
I posted how muck i liked the other sites chat room.Then the master set up the donzi chat room.So i get all the credit,but none of the bills. :D