PDA

View Full Version : Hmmmmm.............

PaulO
12-10-2001, 02:00 PM
http://www.donzi.net/photos/poettinger03.jpg
http://www.donzi.net/photos/poettinger04.jpg

harbormaster
12-10-2001, 08:17 PM
Love that lower unit. The lake X sticker is a nice touch....

PaulO
12-11-2001, 09:21 AM
It's actually the stock V8 lower with a Bob's nose cone/low water pickup. Adds a new meaning to x-dimension and Center of Gravity.
PaulO

Looped
12-11-2001, 11:39 AM
Paul,
How did that Evinrude ever get to touch the Merc waters of Lake X?

Craig

PaulO
12-11-2001, 12:51 PM
I'm sure it didn't. Probably just a goof.

Looped
12-11-2001, 01:25 PM
Just checking. I didn't know if you found some dirt road leading up to the lake X for a spash or something? :rolleyes:

boldts
12-11-2001, 03:26 PM
I'm probably not as smart as the rest of you guys, but I'm assuming this wild outboard is now on the back of your new Superboat? How about a full picture? Looks like a killer ride! :D

PaulO
12-11-2001, 03:54 PM
Scott,
Not yet. I have put a binder on the motor which coincidentally has been mounted on the back of another 21 Superboat since new and operating in my neighborhood. I just removed my merc and mounted the setback bracket so I can go pick the motor up. I am duplicating his setup since he has been dialing it in for years. I am getting excited about it even though I have until spring to get it in the water. I need to do some rigging and transom tie-bars before the launch. Very interesting (at least I think so) motor and setup. I will post more pictures as I take them if I don't get too much objection from the board members for posting sacreligious outboard non-donzi stuff.
PaulO

PaulO
12-11-2001, 03:55 PM
I was going to try to find a home for my old outboard (a 225 Merc) but Chris got me thinking that maybe I need a 16 Donzi for it! Anybody got one?
PaulO

CDMA
12-11-2001, 04:01 PM
Hehe I am the devil...spend that money Paul. I want to see more pictures

Chris

Looped
12-11-2001, 04:07 PM
Paul,
I'm sure that you have already thought of this but have you looked into reinforcing the transom with a 1/4" - 3/8" aluminum plate powder coated the same color as the hull? We had to do this to a friend of mines 24’ Bannana boat with 2 outboard Merc 225’s. Believe it or not it really did help, too bad it didn’t help when about 8’ of the deck in the front started to lift up from the hull in a Poker Run. :eek:

Craig

PaulO
12-11-2001, 04:35 PM
Craig,
Good idea. I'm not sure which would be stronger. The tie bars would go from a plate on the transom that the engine mounting bolts go through down at an angle and then bolted through the stringers. The aluminum plate could cover the entire transom. Food for thought.
Thanks,
PaulO

marcdups
12-11-2001, 06:28 PM
remember, OMC stands for OBSOLETE MOTOR COMPANY :eek: :eek: :eek: , is that a 90 deg 300, also looks like a bobs exhaust system, good luck, they are great engines but have a reputation of locator pins for piston rings coming out, hope they have wiseco's or some aftermarket ones in there and pray that the powerhead has never been touched by pmc of florida!!

Marc

PaulO
12-12-2001, 08:47 AM
Marc,
Yeah, it's got wisecos and it's been ported and balanced. Did my research. Great motors that, when used as intended were very reliable. This is a 3.6 that has about 320 crankshaft HP. The later 4.0s had different port timing and only put out about 275. 2 problems with these: 1. the 3.6s were ported to make HP in the upper RPM ranges but, people assumed they were torque-monsters due to the huge displacement. They were put on a lot of heavy fishing boats and were run at 3500 rpms where they have no power and eventually blow up. 2. they take a lot of fuel and they were set up frequently with insufficient fuel lines. This one has an external electric pump and larger fuel rail.

The only thing that beats a good runner is the new 300x and, at 16 grand, no thanks. Gordon of Monty Racing can get these things to a reliable 450 Hp.
PaulO