PDA

View Full Version : Surface drive maintenance and durability?

Syncerus
01-13-2003, 01:22 PM
Hi All,

There seem to be a lot of people with surface drive experience around here so I thought I would ask a couple questions.

:-)

How durable are surface drives in a marine environment, and how much maintenance to they require? Are they a realistic option for someone who leaves his boat in a slip, or is that just asking for trouble?

Finally, do surface drives have any nasty characteristics that I should be aware of, and why aren't they more popular?

I really appreciate any information that anyone can give me; most of what I have found is sales related ....

Thanks a bunch,

Syncerus

GEOO
01-14-2003, 06:25 AM
Syncerus,

Welcome aboard!!
I run an Arneson Surface drive. I think they are the strongest most durable drive on the market. Most boats don't offer them because no one sells the drive/engine combination as a package.
It if fine to leave the drive inthe water with proper zincs, just like an IO. I'm sure you've read all about the positives and I could fill your ear as well, however you asked about any negative. Well, surface drive are known to throw large rooster tails.; make sure you trim in when towing a skier!!! It may take a little longer to get on plan, depending on the prop diameter. You need to balance the boat's CG or add a fin on the drive to create bow lift. (depending on your boat and set-up) Good Luck!!

Dr. Dan
01-14-2003, 06:25 AM
:D Sync...Welcome to the Crew....the resident surface drive Guru's are GEO and CDMA...so I am sure they will respond here.....as I have learned from both of them......surface drives are performance based, take a while to get up on plane, are not very forgiving around the docks and tight quarters.....they offer the lowest drag coefficient of any practicle perfomance propulsion system, so you get more speed to horsepower....due to the less drag of a heavy drive in the water. :cool: And they make the unmistakeable Rooster Tail...which has to be my favorite characteristic...when I watch
GEOO run......the boys can highlight on the technical and durability issue.....Good Luck...Doc