PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION, X dimension

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
10-15-2002, 07:10 PM
I have a friend who found out that his manufacture experimented with the X dimension in 2000.
see LINK:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34794
HOW is it measured? I know what IMCO told me but he is skeptical due to being told so many different mathmatical solutions etc.
Steps, pads etc etc etc.... How do you measure?
Mine is 5" bottom of hull to prop center, his is 3". We both have stock B1 drives etc....

He reads the board and will appreciate a knowledgable response.

Thanks guys.
Bryan

33 Daytona
10-16-2002, 05:45 AM
The botton of the hull the center of where your lower unit goes into the back of your boat is the x dimention but the bottom of the hull to the center to the prop shaft if you want to find out how high or low your pro is in the water.I bought a 2" shortie from imco before finding this out and it cost me $2,000 then I had to pay another $600 for an 1" spacer to move my prop back down to an exceptiable hight and I had to have the prop cupped to grab enought water. Mine is now 2" or 3" I dont rembember exactly and the boat is now in storage.

HP 600SC
10-16-2002, 06:57 AM
Plain and simple, The X dimension is:
From the Engine crankshaft center straight down to the bottom lowest point on the transom.
I can post a photo of it if you wish.

GeneD
10-16-2002, 07:09 AM
Didn't someone post pictures and text on this a while back? I think it may have been the Poodle?

oldLenny
10-16-2002, 10:42 AM
Better yet...lets say I have a new Bravo or Alpha drive, it came with a template, how do I locate the template and general location of the outdrive in order to be "stock" as per the drives' manufacturer recommendations?

Then, I can reference a higher "X" dimension with regards to the proper "stock" location.

Can anyone tell me this? Pictures please if possible. :D

Tom Davis
10-16-2002, 02:35 PM
The previous posts are correct in the discription of what the "X" dimension is. If you purchase a drive package or a motor/drive package from Merc. the literature provided with the package will tell you what the factory recommondation is for the drive. Keep in mind this is kind of a catch all. The actual "X" dimension varies depending on v-bottom, stepped hull, dual drive applications, etc... Also keep in mind that a small difference in height (as little as .500 inches) can make a big difference in performance and handling. Some things that effect the final "X" dimension are the type of water pick up and location, type of nose cone, exhaust location, and the type of prop.
Just my .02 :cool:
Tom Davis
Winni Bandits

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
10-16-2002, 02:37 PM
Thanks for all the great data, he has a pad, there is a photo (link) of his setup in my original post.

HP500, a photo would be great!!!!!
Thanks.
Bryan

HP 600SC
10-16-2002, 06:10 PM
Bryan, I will get one up ASAP...
Ted

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
10-16-2002, 06:15 PM
Thanks Ted, he really has gotten dozens of answers, all different, he is in our club and a good friend and neighbor, we both will appreciate the pic as the end of the question!

Bryan

oldLenny
10-17-2002, 08:38 AM
...any pics yet Ted?...

HP 600SC
10-17-2002, 01:10 PM
Sorry for the delay, I need to hold the camera and a tape measure at the same time.....not easy to do. I will find someone to take the photo for me while I hold the tape.....I'll get it soon I promise...

Looped
10-17-2002, 03:15 PM
Here is a shot I just took a few seconds ago. I made some lines to try and show where the you measure this "X" dimension. This was an old Penta 250 setup with 15" from the bottom of the hull:

http://www.donzi.net/photos/cringer-x-dim.jpg

HP 600SC
10-18-2002, 10:00 AM
Ok guy's see post titled "X-dinension 101"
Hope this helps, BTW the stock X dimension on
current classics is 14 1/2

Greg K
10-18-2002, 10:16 AM
I think what most have thought about mainly is where their prop is in relation to the x-dimension or to the bottom of the hull. Same motors, same x-dimension, with two different drives, the prop will have a different relationship to the x dimension or hull. Or, same engines, same drives, different X's same scenario with the prop shaft location. Which from what I understand has an effect on performance along with lower unit designs. I'm sure the boat builders depending on their hull design have to deviate some from the drive x-dimension criteria set forth or modify it in some way to accomodate them, for experimentation or for some other reason. Determining one's x-dimension shouldn't be that big of a deal on an existing boat.

harbormaster
10-18-2002, 01:52 PM
Craig,

You photo is only accurate if your engine is perfectly aligned. :D

Looped
10-18-2002, 05:32 PM
Scot,
Your right, mine might be off the stringers and have a slight list to it :rolleyes:

It will be nice to yank all of this old rusted junk ahta heya!