PDA

View Full Version : Swivel Seat Upgrades

Murphy
12-07-2001, 05:05 PM
I'm thinking about upgrading the seats on my 1986 Classic 22 to make them swivel like the new models. As is, the seat base slide-plates bolt directly to square 8" tall risers molded into the fiberglass deck. I figure I could cut these off, and epoxy/bolt in a new base-plate to mount a swivel pedestal on, but there might be a better way. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Murph

RedDog
12-07-2001, 06:06 PM
Hate to jump in on top of you Murphy - but I would love to have swivels in my 18 too. Could we hear suggestions on that too?

Thanks

Greg
12-07-2001, 07:42 PM
When the older classic Donzis were introduced they did have the swivel seats. After my seats died I bought the new ones from Built-Rite and they were too large to swivel. If anyone has an original seat to copy I'm sure you could get one made somewhere. I would offer mine if I still had them.

boldts
12-07-2001, 11:45 PM
You all can check mine out if you like. I own a 1969 18' Classic and my front buckets swival. I bought new Bilt-Rite seats 2 years ago and mounted them on the original seat pedestals. No problem with them turning. It really is a nice option when were water sking. I'm not sure where you can find the bases that were used back then, but as long as I move the knee board that layes between the passenger seat and the cockpit side, there is no problem turning the passenger seat around to face backwards.

RickR
12-08-2001, 05:25 AM
Looks to me like the square fiberglass pedistal is molded in. After cutting it out the deck may need some reinforcing for strength. Then you could mount a standard round pedistal and swivel base. I replaced mine with Garlik Millenium 2000 (West Marine) pedistals and spyders. The Garlik product is worth the extra $$$$$.

The pedistals should cover the hole BUT make sure the deck is strong enough. Through bolting would be best but I used a toggle bolt made for seat mounting because I couldn't get under the deck.

Swiveling all the way around will depend upon where the helm is located on the dash and where the seat is on the slide.

marcdups
12-12-2001, 09:22 PM
HEY ROB WHAT IS YOUR NEW E MAIL ADDRESS, NEED TO SEND YOU AN E MAIL ASAP, THANKS, E MAIL ME :confused:

Murphy
12-13-2001, 09:27 PM
my home email is murphy4@advant.net Work is rwestcot@lakland.cc.il.us

Use either one. I check the one at home every few days. The one at work, daily.

Thanks,

Rob