PDA

View Full Version : Skegs?

HyperDonzi
01-12-2003, 09:34 AM
I know with one being nicked up, it is more resistance. does anyone know of a place that re-finishes the skeg? What about those things in Overtons?
Tommy

RedDog
01-12-2003, 10:06 AM
I knocked several chunks out of mine last Fall :( A local prop shop repaired it - looks like new. He cut the damaged material off and then welded a pre-fabbed fin on. Cost was $135 with me pulling the drive. Seems like I remember the Overton's skeg is a bolt-on fix costing around $80-90(???). I'd go with having a new one welded on.

HyperDonzi
01-12-2003, 12:28 PM
Why go with the new one? Is there something about the bolt on thats bad? or is it just personal preference?

Speed-Racer
01-12-2003, 03:14 PM
Hyper,

I'm not much of an expert, but I once talked to a guy about bolt on skegs. His advice was, if you have a bolt on skeg, when you hit a submerged object, the chances of you breaking the lower gear casing is much more at risk since it is bolted on and not just a pieace of metal like a normal skeg or a welded one. Makes sence to me?

Perception is Everything!

Team Hula Girl
01-13-2003, 08:10 AM
Tommy, I had a boat a while back that I put a skeggaurd on. A part of mine busted off after a ramp incident. It cost around $75 back then. I chose the skeggaurd because of the welding guy telling me about the heat generated from the welding might cause further damage to the lower unit. He could have been telling me a line of crap, but when your younger your more gullible. The skeggaurd worked perfect for the next couple of years until the boat was sold. Just my .02 cents.

John