PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had their props blueprinted

John and Bea
10-14-2002, 03:05 PM
I am considering getting my props tuned and maybe blueprinted. Has anyone had this done and what is realistic to expect (mph) when I get them done? Is it worth the Money? (cost to benefit ratio) Does it make a difference between outboard or inboard application? Any thoughts?

John, craving more speed

Ed Donnelly
10-14-2002, 03:42 PM
check out page 5 oct 4th.of donzi performance talk.. Ed

Sam
10-14-2002, 06:02 PM
It depends on what your objective is. I had my cruiser props blueprinted in an effort to remove a slight vibration and maybe increase my GPH. It cost me $600.00 for the pair. After running the boat all summer the vibration was gone but I saw no increase in my GPH. I supose if I wanted to I could have them done again but at this point it's not worth it to me.

I think if you have yours done with the intent of gaining mph you probably will see a difference. What that is is anyones guess. I'm sure you will hear several different opinions here but that's the beauty of this site.

Sam

John and Bea
10-14-2002, 07:36 PM
Thanks Ed, There was some good information on the previous posting. Of course i think my decision no closer to being made. I think it pretty much boils down to money. Or if there is that one fellow boater in a competitors boat the just edges you out and you hate to see it. Has anyone on this site used Throttle up before?

John

MOP
10-14-2002, 10:09 PM
Being a yacht broker I get allot of input from many owners and can give my personal tilt on this one. Not sure but I believe a prop shop down in the Virginia area started this computer blue printing and it has spread all over. I had my SST done, its glassy smooth now but to me no gain possibly a tiny loss. But the guys I know with 40 plus foot diesel boat seem to be very pleased with maybe a knot but 55+ footers report a little higher speed. Both report much smoother operation at all speeds. I think its a small and proportional thing so it shows up more in the bigger boats. One thing I know SMOOTH you will get no matter what size.

BigGrizzly
10-15-2002, 12:28 AM
less you taylor the prop for your personal needs and speed it isn't worth the money. The best gains will not exceed 2->3 if your prop was close to begin with. Throttle up is a reputable sorse. Now between inboard and outboard/ outdrive there is a major difference.

Throttle Up
10-15-2002, 11:04 AM
John,

I wanted to comment on the great feedback you have received. It is helpful to here of others experinces regardless of the topic. You asked about the difference between Inboard and Outboard Props and more importantly the blueprinting of. Let me start with the Inboard Props, generally made of either NiBrAl or Bronze and generally the more important factor is the balancing of the prop. The very best way to recondition an inboard prop is to utilize 2D or a 3D electronic imaging system which you have probably heard of as either a prop scan or the MRI. This computor allows us, during the reconditioning of the prop, to measure pitch to within 1/100,000 of an inch! Translating to pitch with an incredilby high tolerance or extremely true to desired pitch. The benefit is that the props runs more efficiently and with no vibration.
Of course there are other adjustments to consider beyond Pitch...such as Balance, Cupping, Rake, Tracking and Blade patterning and Blade Thickness. These adjustments are equally important to both Inboard and Outboard Props. For the most part our experiences with blueprinting are requested by Inboard Owners for the purpose of A. Fuel Economy and B.Vibration reduction. Outboard Owners request the service for A. Top End Speed and B. Top End Speed. One can generally expect speed increases of 2-3 MPH and keep in mind that this is in gereral! However if you are not currently running the appropriate prop then the speed increase may be greater! I hope this assists you in your quest for Blueprinting info.

Regards,
Julie
Throttle Up
www.throttle-up.com (http://www.throttle-up.com)
877-842-6855

When you feel the need for speed...Throttle Up!