PDA

View Full Version : Engine

CDMA
12-06-2001, 08:41 PM
I was getting really frustrated and thinking I wasn't going to find an engine but I finally got one and it really seems a little too good to be true but I will try not to jinx it.

Complete Merc 454 mag 1990 that was in a 35 fountain. It had 350 hours on it. The guy I am buying it from is a race engine builder/machinist in MD and he took both on trade to build some big HP 502's. So he is rebuilding it to my specs. It will be as follows

Bored
Decked to 0 quench height
honed
Heads all rebuilt with comp valve job Severe duty manley stainless and Inconel on the exhaust side
Forged Crank, 7/16' rods, Square port heads
Heads pocket ported
SRP blower pistons stock compression ( slightly heigher due to the decking)
All Arp bolts in rods, studs in heads
All Felpro gaskets
Roller rockers
Holley 650 double pumper
Not an extreeme cam, pretty mild but would like to retain drivability
Estimate 400-410 hp w/o the blower 550 with.

The best part is I get to go down to his shop, we will put on the procharger together, tune it on the dyno and he will give me a 1 year 50 hour warranty WITH the blower on... :eek: :eek: :eek:

The guy seems to be really knowledgable and has previous experience with both marine and procharger applications and a few good recommendations so we will see. The price is just tooooo good. I am going down the 17th so I will take some pictures on the dyno...that is going to be awsome.

Chris

Dr. Dan
12-06-2001, 09:34 PM
Chris, where is this guy located and does he do this often or is it a private one time deal? I only live about 1/2 hour outside of Baltimore, maybe we could hook up for a soda or two and a lesson in Boat Tech 101? Let me know or email me, sounds like a great package, I like the stand off box too, looks like something from the $6 million man,"we can rebuild it!"...Good Luck ;) Doc

CDMA
12-06-2001, 10:31 PM
Doc,

Sure lets get together. I am not sure where this guy is. This sort of is a one time deal because he had the 454's. I thing he is in the upper chesapeake. He said he is in Brackish water in MD. Where would that be?

I still say we get all the NE donzi guy together. I offer my house but way out on the Island is far out of the way. After the 14th I an free till the 2nd ( off to New Orleans to work on a 20000hp crew boat). I am really having a tough time right now in school so I am out of commision for the next two weeks. 23 credits and like 4 math classes are just too much. Strength of Materials is killing me.

Chris

boldts
12-06-2001, 10:34 PM
Chris,
You the man. I marvel at the deals you come up with. First the Arneson ASD6 with a stand off box to move the prop even further into clean water. The 22' Classic itself, and now a 454 mag custom built by a race engine builder with a ProCharger to boot. With that combination you should be right there speed wise to own the fastest 22' Classic in America. Can't wait to see the finished product. :D

Dr. Dan
12-07-2001, 04:57 AM
C, That would be great to hook up, let me know more specifics as you get them,so I can schedule accordingly. :eek: WoW 23 credits & 4 math courses, you really know how to have a good time,good luck with it all over the next few weeks, I'm sure you'll do well! The Upper Bay is/becomes brackish later in the season as more and more fresh water run off from the Rivers,runs out to the Atlantic. After the Winter Snow & Spring Rains, the areas closest to the fresh water sources tend to be flooded with "fresh water", as the season progresses, the cycle repeats and the salt starts to work North again,pretty neat in alot of respects, fish etc., don't want to swim in some areas after the sea nettles start to come north(type of jelly fish)usually in fall. My guess is this place is any where north of Kent Island/Annapolis, the highest it could be is Northeast, Md (Jackson Marine Area) or off one of the rivers. These areas are seperated by as much as an hour or two drive depending on road access/bridges,etc. Good Luck, keep in touch, I'll email you my no.s ;) Doc