12-06-2001, 08:28 PM
Here is another picture of the box
http://www.donzi.net/photos/callard52.jpg

harbormaster
12-08-2001, 08:48 AM
what are we looking at Chris?

CDMA
12-08-2001, 09:08 AM
The external box that mounts on the transom for the Arneson drive. The transmission fits inside it. The "arm" is for the steering ram.

Chris

harbormaster
12-09-2001, 12:37 AM
very cool. Are you putting this on your 22?

CDMA
12-09-2001, 12:40 AM
Yes this is a photo of my actual box.

Chris

Formula Jr
12-09-2001, 10:08 AM
did you make that? I'm impressed if so.

"Next time I go to paint my own boat remind me how much sanding is involved."
I'll have to find some old photos of me with a DA imitating a Blue Man. :D

CDMA
12-09-2001, 10:35 AM
Wish I could take credit for that. It more or less is a collaboration of my own design and Rik Wimp's at Arneson industries. What really makes this particular box hard to make for a back yard hobbyist is that it is not welded. The main parts, the top, sides and back are all actually one piece of formed aluminum and then the back and front are welded on.

Chris

Forrest
12-10-2001, 09:56 AM
Chris is that your garage? If so, you may even have RickR beat!

Sagbay32
12-10-2001, 11:17 AM
So, are we going to see the $$$ total on the Arneson conversion. That box looks killer. I am sure that was not cheap.

CDMA
12-10-2001, 12:15 PM
I wish that was my garage. Literally I have the worst garage. None. My 18 lives in a cover-it shed ( greenhouse) which has seen better days but still holds the weather out. The 22 lives outside for now and all my work winter or not is done outside. I have a really hard time getting key stuff done like painting where temp is key. I have to pick and choose my days. It is only due to the generosity of people like Scott P that enable me to do this stuff myself. Without there generosity as well as quite a few others I would never have a place to paint, an engine lift, and barn to use for a day or so. I could never have done either of my boats w/o help for my friends.

Regarding the Arneson Conversion. Yes it will honestly cost an arm and a leg. If you were to go just buy the stuff it would sort of go as follows:

Drive - 8k
Box- 1.5k
Good Tranny - 2.2k
Steering, mounts, driveline, bell housing 1k.

More or less 13,000. Sort of shell shocking huh? Don't think I have that kind of money. I pieced together everything for 5K. But I did get some crazy deals, and some disscounts for "Naval Architecture" testing. Keep in mind that Arneson Industries the company responsible for the box is Howard Arneson's own company that isn't designed to make a profit. The sole reason for the company is to advance the surface drive design and continue to perfect the design and application. If you call there you have a 50/50 chance Howard will answer the phone himself. 5k is still no doubt a lot of money but still pretty cheap compared to a Bravo. The key to doing this economically is getting a good used drive cheap ( mine was $600 and it was new in box...I don't think this could ever happen again). Actually the entire budget for the 22 is suprisingly low. I should easily be able to sell it for more than I will have in it. I will be eating peanut butter and crackers for a few months though ;) ;) ;)

Chris