PDA

View Full Version : Engine dress up !

Sam
12-06-2001, 04:09 PM
As you may or may not know I have begun my 5.7 up grade. As part of the project I want to dress up the motor a bit. If any of you have pics of any dressed up motors you can post I would love to see them. I have speced out the red paint for the block, Chrome or brushed alum valve covers, chrome K&N filter kit so far. Any help and or sugestions would be greatly appreciated.

Your Humble Servant
Sam

Dr. Dan
12-06-2001, 04:28 PM
Sam, check out pics of Scott Pearsons Toy, nicest & cleanist, re-do period! I'm sure there are pics and/or Scott will direct you accordingly. Also, let the pics download(there are many) of last years Dustoff boats, great variety of all styles and applications...Good Luck playin "Dress Up"... :D Doc

Sam
12-06-2001, 04:50 PM
Thanks Doc,I bet you say that to all the boys.Moving on and at the risk of appearing lazy where do I find these pics.

Sam

Dr. Dan
12-06-2001, 05:30 PM
Sam, go to www.lgdonziclassic.com (http://www.lgdonziclassic.com) for Lake George, click on 2001 Dustoff. also for grins,you can check out www.keith-eickert.com (http://www.keith-eickert.com) and www.eddiemarine.com (http://www.eddiemarine.com) ,also teague has some fun stuff, there a ton of sites to get ideas, also look at the Performance Marine site that is linked on the Lake George site, in the historical posts, you can probably find pics of Scott's boat, dates for reference would be before this past June? Sorry I can't get more specific, it's the medication! ;) Doc

Sam
12-06-2001, 05:43 PM
I have tried many times to open the pics on the Lk George site. They appear as squares and will not open no matter what I do, any hint's anyone. As for the other sites, some cool looking stuff. Thank's again Doc and take it easy on the meds.

Sam

Ranman
12-06-2001, 06:24 PM
I don't know if this matters or not, but maybe I can evoke some opinions. I've heard that chrome valve covers (or any chrome accessory for that matter) trap in heat. In contrast, aluminum acts as a very good heat sink. Since marine engines are fully enclosed, would there be a benefit to either? I would think the aluminum would dissipate the heat better maybe keeping the engine / compartment cooler?

Scott Pearson
12-06-2001, 06:33 PM
Sam,
Here you go. The only thing that is missing is the air cleaner cover. The deck was off when these where taken so yo can get a good idea of what it looks like.

http://www.donzi.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001595

Look at this 2nd on at the bottom of the page. There is a pretty good shot of my motor.
http://www.donzimarine.com/channel_z/pastevents/nh.html

(NJ)Scott

Sam
12-06-2001, 07:42 PM
YES ! thanks for the pics, I am going to print them right now.

Sam

Murphy
12-07-2001, 04:51 PM
Hi Sam,

What K&N filter kit did you end up going with for your 5.7? Give me the part #s if you can.

Thanks,

Murph

Sam
12-07-2001, 06:03 PM
I haven't got that far, it will depend on what intake I put on.

Sam

DonziDreamin
12-11-2001, 05:31 PM
a red block with chrome accents....
that'll make you want to drive around with out the engine cover so you can show it off.
make sure you go with matching plug wires though.

Sam
12-12-2001, 02:50 PM
Funny you should mention plug wires, I was just doing some research on them. If anyone can recommend a source and or MFG I would appreciate it.
What about a source for chrome parts other than the Teauge's of the world.

Thanks
Sam

Ranman
12-12-2001, 04:07 PM
Personally, On a hi-po setup, I would look at MSD Plug wires. In my opinion they make the best ignition products on the planet. Others would be Accel and Jacobs

Sam
12-12-2001, 04:23 PM
Thanks Randy,Accele's were the ones I was looking into.

Sam

DonziDreamin
12-12-2001, 04:26 PM
For the chrome, look in a Jegs or Edelbrock catalog.

Ranman
12-12-2001, 05:04 PM
Sam I should also point out that the Accel's will most likely be yellow whereas the MSD's come in red.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/ROak_MSD.gif

Sam
12-12-2001, 05:52 PM
Your a handy guy to have around ! any stock tips ?

Thanks
Sam

RickR
12-12-2001, 07:11 PM
Sam
MSD wires come in different colors.
Standard color for 8.5s is red, 8s is blue.
MSDs come with a handy-dandy crimper.

Sam
12-12-2001, 07:53 PM
Thanks Rick, I just ordered an MSD catalog as well as one from JEGS.

Sam

Ranman
12-13-2001, 07:27 AM
Sam, Spin the world backwards to reverse time and buy Cisco and Chrysler.

Anyway, You may also want to order a Summitt Racing catalog to help you search for the dress up items.

Spitfire Dave
12-19-2001, 09:56 AM
Sam We run Scott wires on the Cat Can Do race boat. These wires make MSD wires look dimestore. I know I had some. Each wire is numbered for location and has a protective sheith that covers the actual plug wire. Overkill I am sure, but a nice detail touch. Available through Baker Engineering for around $100
Spitfire Dave

Spitfire Dave
12-19-2001, 10:09 AM
Sam
I would recommend chrome valve covers for easy clean up. Unless you paint or put some protective finish on the brushed aluminum covers the agony never ends. Just make sure to spray some WD 40 on them for winter storage to condinsation at bay. Sounds like your ride is going to be sweet come spring. Keep up the good work. See ya on Lake St. Clair next spring
Spitfire Dave

Sam
12-19-2001, 01:58 PM
Dave, Where the heck is Fruitport Mi ? As for the valve covers go I have them in storage awating the final assembly in a few months. As a lesser part of project I just finished painting the engine compartment. It's nice and white, just hope it stays that way.

Sam

Spitfire Dave
12-19-2001, 07:05 PM
Sam
Fruitport is about 30 miles west of Grand Rapids just off I-96. I actually live in Sullivan Township about 8 miles from Fruitport. Fruitport is just the mailing address. A friend of mine lives on Lake St. Clair, and I do as much boating on that lake as possible. He has a white and teal 22' classic mine is a 1981 18' classic white with blue stripes.
Spitfire Dave

Sam
12-19-2001, 09:05 PM
Well then Dave were going to have to hook up next summer. I keep my Donzi At the Algonac Harbor Club along with the mother ship. If your not familiar that area it's where the St.Clair River and the N. Channel meet. I'm sure we will be holding a Donzi event or two next year maybe you can come. Are you going to AOTH II, I think we should have 4-5 boats from Mich going.

Sam

Dennis
12-19-2001, 09:48 PM
Sam, I sent you a pic of last years engine to your home Email, cuz I don't know how to load a pic in the regestry. DO CROME!! so much easyier to clean. Oh and as far as K&N air Filter FYI: Law = flame arrestor unless your fuel injected. (thats why a painted cover looks cool) PS. dont forget the Aeroquep hoses!! truly a must have!! If you get a minute Page me 810 290-9087