PDA

View Full Version : Electronics

Sagbay32
12-05-2001, 11:28 AM
Question#1
I was going to add a depth sounder to my 18 and I wondered about the glue on transducer types, do they work the same as the ones that are screwed through the hull?

Question #2
How about the performance of the handheld vhf radios (can I get away with one of the $100.00 ones)?

Question#3
Has anyone ever installed docking lights in their Classic?

Hoping that Santa wants to bring some of the above mentioned gifts. :D

Ranman
12-05-2001, 11:37 AM
I have used several depth sounders before with limited success. My 97 18 has a Gaffrig unit and it works better than any others I have seen. It seems fine up to around 30-35mph whereas any of the others I've seen don't work well much over idle. My transducer is "Glued to the floor in the bildge. It is the installation of this component that is most critical.

I have a Cobra handheld VHF Radio that works well too. I don't know how much it was as it came with the boat but remember that you get what you pay for.

Lastly, IMHO docking lights on a classic would ruin the look.

Sagbay32
12-05-2001, 12:16 PM
Thank you Randy for your experienced reply. You said the most important part of the install on the glue on transducer is the gluing itself. Do you mean that the area has to be prepped correctly and the transducer has to be completely glued down on it's entire surface?

Oh yeah, well I think docking lights look cool :eek: , and I could sure use them!

Ranman
12-05-2001, 12:54 PM
Sagbay, Here's my understanding on the depth sounder.

1. The transducer has to be mounted somewhere where the water running under the hull is not aerated (sp?). If there is air passing under the hull where the transducer is mounted, it will not work properly and you will get an erratic reading at best.

2. The "gluing" of the transducer is also important as you cannot have any air bubbles between the transducer and the bildge surface. Bottom line is there can be no air pockets from the transducer face all the way to the bottom of the lake for it to work well.

I've heard that external transducers work better, but they're ugly and hard to maintain. The internally mounted transducers (like mine) work pretty well if installed correctly. The instructions supplied with the kit explain this in detail.

My thought is that a high quality depth sounder (Gaffrig) that has been installed with extreme care will serve you best as is the case with mine. However, I have never seen one that is perfect. Inferior products will just degrade you reading also. It's like... Start with the best, install it to a "T" and it will sort of work most the time.

P.S. As far as docking lights go. Hey whatever blows your hair back :D

avanti
12-05-2001, 01:56 PM
My Classic 18 came with a factory installed Gaffrig depth sounder. The transducer was glued to the inside of the hull and in my opinion the unit did not function very well. Fortunately here the water is crystal clear and you can see the bottom. I don't know how well a transom mounted transducer would work as most of the hull is out of the water, but I think you would have better luck with the transom mounted unit. I have a Standard HX-460s walkie talkie and it is a nice unit, it is a little expensive at 299, but is is really compact and it is submersible and it has a lithium ion battery which last really long and does not develope a memory. Hope this info helps you with your decision.

Sam
12-05-2001, 02:23 PM
Re hand held VHF radio, I have had one as back up for many years. They are all basicly the same, many of the features they provide you will never use so keep it simple. All of the hand helds are five watts which will get you a five mile range one watt=one mile. You can get them now that handle AA and or rechargeable batteries.

Sam

2biguns
12-05-2001, 03:08 PM
I own a Standard hand-held and have had great luck with it. I feel like you get what you pay for. In addition to a long-life battery, it has a cig adapter as well as being convertible to using AA batteries (lifesaver if you ever need it).

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
12-05-2001, 03:28 PM
I have the yellow HUMMINGBIRD V VHF radio, paid $109 last summer and now they are on sale at WEST Marine for $99 plus another 10% off, or was a week ago.. Detachable rechargable battery, handheld or dash mount or belt clip, low and hi power settings.

Mine died, called HUMMINGBIRD, faxed my reciept, they sent me a brand new one now I have 2 batteries, great deal!

Bryan

Blewbyu
12-05-2001, 04:03 PM
One of the best "depth sounders" I ever owned was the Lowrance X-70a sounder/fishfinder with speed/temp.It had a transom mounted transducer that was properly designed and would give a good picture up to about 55 MPH.It has,however,a rather large display screen that would have to be mounted in your ski chute.Buy the extended warranty tho.The X-70 has been superceded by (Ibelieve) the X-85 with a smaller display.
Re :Docking lights-Don't do it unless you really need them.If you do,be sure to save the cutout from the hull in case you want to go back to stock.Be warned-the first time,and every time,you "punch" a large wave-you will blow the lens assy out the back of the tubes unless you have a lens cover.In my sons Wellcraft 20,they blew out with enough force to knock out the bulkhead (light weight)behind the anchor locker-and almost sank the boat in really rough weather.The cuddy door was closed,and he didnt know he was taking water until the boat got sluggish!
Think carefully before you go this route.Believe Madpoodles Classic 18 had em(the one he sold).You might email him... :rolleyes:

Forrest
12-05-2001, 04:25 PM
That a great idea avanti! I say lets all ditch the depth finders and hold an on-going Donzi event in the Bahamas!

Formula Jr
12-05-2001, 04:33 PM
Don't go the docking light route.
You can buy 1 million Candle Light handhelds for 30 bucks. And you can aim these to target buoys and such.

Unless you go to a fixed mount, whip antenna type VHF, the hand helds are just a comfort device. The Handhelds don't really work. I take mine anyway. A really cheap Uniden 855. At least I know I can hail someone with a real radio if I get in trouble.

Sam
12-05-2001, 06:22 PM
Owen, I respectfuly disagree with your statement regarding hand helds. I have used the same one for over six years know and let me tell you it has been more than a comfort. They have saved me and my boating friends many times. If you have the space and the need for a fixed mount radio that is the way to go, 25 watts=18to22 miles in range. Next time you go to a decent size marina check out the dock hands. You won't find a whip antena straped thier backs, just a hand held cliped to thier belts.

Sam

Formula Jr
12-05-2001, 06:37 PM
Sam, i respectfully disagree, with your respectful disagreement. Its all good. I'm just saying that you can't replace a real VHF fixed mount with a five watt handheld. You can only get your arm so high while standing on the bow.

Sam
12-05-2001, 07:19 PM
Like my Dady says " there is a correct tool for every job". Even with a whip antena you still have to contend with mother nature and the natural curve of the earth. That's why you usualy won't get a 25 mile range with a 25 watt radio, your signal will fall off. The best way to get max signal strength is to buy a good antena and mount it as high as you can.

over and out
Sam

RickR
12-05-2001, 07:21 PM
I have a fixed mount and use my handheld for emergencies.
The more expensive handhelds are submersible. If you're floating around in the Gulf after she sinks, a waterproof handheld might be handy :eek:

I use slow set epoxy the glue the transducer.

Sam
12-06-2001, 04:01 PM
Scott. I don't care what anyone says I like the rod holders, they add that extra touch. Anyway, I was surffing the web many months ago and ran across the pic above. At that time I had no idea who you were. Where was the photo taken ?

Sam

Digger
12-06-2001, 04:13 PM
I have an Icom M-1 handheld, about 3 yrs old, it is virtually indestructible (I have dropped it to concrete), immersible (yup, dropped it there too) and works like a champ. has rechargeable batteries. regards the handheld vs. fixed mount issue, its not a question of which is better, its a question of redundancy. When you really need a radio, two is better than one, in case one decides to s--t the bed.

ditto on the transducer. needs to be above smooth running water (i.e. not behind a step)

Sam
12-06-2001, 04:55 PM
Here Here for redundancy !! Think about it, two eyes, two leggs, two arms, two radios it all makes sence.

SAM

Sagbay32
12-06-2001, 05:11 PM
Ok guys,
The only reason I wanted a handheld was to hail my Father's vessel if my cooler was empty. I am sure that a hand held radio would suffice. The docking light issue would be over for now.

The Depth sounder transducer is still up in the air.
I have a classic, where would I mount the transducer if I chose to glue it down?

Thank you for all of the replies and opinions :D

MOP
12-06-2001, 05:18 PM
Hi my 2 CENTS docking lights look cool but are for the most part just that cool looking but kinda worthless and it is against Coast Guard regs to run with them on at night. A hand held Q Beam is much better, you can see a bouy damn near a mile away. Having installed about a Guzillion depth finders with quite a few on fast rigs, none work well at high speed but the one I found to work is the transom mount set at about 5 degrees canting forward and having the slight gap beteen the unit and the hull smoothed with silicone give the best overall preformance. Most everyone with a 16 or 18 uses a hand held they work fine, I plugged in a speaker to the jack on the radio made a major difference.

Phil / Long Island

Ranman
12-06-2001, 06:27 PM
My transducer is glued to the floor of the bildge just off center as there is a vee in the floor. It is just behind the back of the back seat or just in front of the engine almost under the crank pulley.

marcdups
12-06-2001, 07:23 PM
I have installed a lowrance 3500 depth finder on mine and used their epoxy, transducer mounted inside the hull on stbd side, offset from the keel and under front motor mount, works at all speeds unless there is no boat in the water, actually I do believe Gaffrigs are made by lowrance. As far as radios are concerned, safety has no value until you need it, trust me after spending 10 days on a life raft with no food and water you would understand, my nickle!!

Towel Boy!!

Klingon
12-06-2001, 09:23 PM
My 99 C18 came from Donzi with a factory installed depth sounder. They mounted the transducer about 3 ft forward of the transom and on the starboard side of centerline, maybe 3 inches from center. I agree that it has to "see" water to work and when you are on a plane only the aft section is in the water. It seems to work very well but at higher speeds, +40 mph, its gets bad signals probally from the air under the boat at those times.
Alan :rolleyes:

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
12-06-2001, 09:37 PM
1.5 mill candle bulb, 12v only, a real piece of crap, paper thin plastic and bulbs blew at the first wake! West Marine, JUNK, $55

ADVANCE Automotive, 1 mill bulb power, 30 minute run time, heavy duty unit, 110v recharge or 12V usage, 3 times as nice $32.99

Bryan

Last Tango
12-06-2001, 09:48 PM
I may have missed it above, but a hand held VHF at around a hundred dollars is a good investment if you are in lakes or coastal waters where there is plenty of other traffic around to pick up your signal. Five mile range can be frustrating. But a 15 foot whip antenna may not look good either. Handhelds work best in small boas keeping in touch with each other and for hailing dockmasters and bridge tenders. If you're headed out to sea, you need a bigger unit. Range ends at about 25 miles no matter what unless you are standing on the top of the Golden Gate bridge. Handhelds can be moved from boat to boat with no permanent scars. If you are headed to the islands, you need a lot more radio than just a VHF anyway.
My Gaffrig depthsounder is mounted through the hull as many above, and works well IN the water. I just seem to "air out" the hull a lot more often these days.
Mark :cool: