PDA

View Full Version : wet balsa

donzi28
12-03-2001, 07:54 PM
i need to replace the wet balsa in the bow area of a 1967 28 donzi sportsman. has anyone done this before? what other material can be used? any input would be greatly appreciated.

jwright
12-03-2001, 09:10 PM
I would be glad to share some my experience with wet core material. I work at a producion boat builder who uses a lot of Balsa for decks and hulls.
The best way to fix it is to remove all the damaged core, preferably from the back side so you do not have to do any gelcoat repair. Bed the new core in, overlay and your done!
I would use balsa wood again. I know that many people believe it rots, and I know all wood does. But the real problem is that the bond between the skins was compromised and water migrated and delaminated the balsa THEN the balsa rotted. This can happen with foam also, the only difference is that foam does not rot, but it is still spongy because the bond to the skins was damaged.
I better be careful, there are alot of opinions out there on this... and some of those folks I am sure are smarter then me! :)
But whatever core you use will work great if it properly laminated and any place that is drilled through is well sealed.

Scott Pearson
12-03-2001, 09:57 PM
I agree, Balsa is the only way to go.

My 2 Cents :D

(NJ)Scott