PDA

View Full Version : More speed found...

Kent Perroux
12-03-2001, 01:31 PM
Found another couple of mph this weekend. Got an indicated 68mph. (speedo is within 1 mph to gps).

Amazing what you can do when you don't bring passengers, keep your foot into it for a long stretch and trim to the sky...( could not let that bass boat pass me!!)

What else can I pitch? passenger seat, back seat cushions, depth finder, vhf, anchor, tools....Wonder if I can get my 5 year old to make a pass for me while I radar him?

RedDog
12-03-2001, 03:35 PM
RickR told me he he got his best speed out of Genuine Risk (now my Genuine Trouble) by running with the hatch removed. I haven't compared with / without though. Maybe if you filled the gas tank void with helium? ;)

Kent Perroux
12-03-2001, 04:07 PM
I could do like Reggie and do an "official test" at 35 degrees F, sea level and light fuel...I just can't seam to want to get in a boat when the temp is below 70.

Moody Blu'
12-03-2001, 04:52 PM
If you have a hood scoop, you dont have to take the hood off ;) it will give it a lil more power.

Unless your going for less weight.BUT
I think the aerodynamics would be dragging more with the cover off, depending if the wind blew over the engine bay completely or not.

mattyboy
12-04-2001, 07:54 AM
I agree the 5 year old is the way to go less weight and more aero dynamic don't give him the phone book so his head won't go above the deck ;) :eek:
so what we're talking about is 2 mph to get us to the 70 mark ok we can do this

1 wax the boat including the outdrive and prop
2 make all yours speed runs with a tailwind
3 leave the cooler on the dock :p
4 try without the hatch

man wish I was trying to get to 70 just trying to get to 60

Matt

Kent Perroux
12-04-2001, 09:53 AM
Waxing the hull, drive and prop is NOT a good idea. Wax tends to want to grab the water.

I could drop this 502 in it, but I think the baby needs a new owner so I can start working on getting the big boat towards 90.

mattyboy
12-04-2001, 10:19 AM
Kent, I was told the prop to, the reason being the little bubbles you get from the water passing over the wax more air less friction prop turns faster, faster prop more speed, well the guy I heard it from has been wrong on many ocassions, sounded good to me though!
502 would get you some more speed, keeping it right side up would be a challenge and I don't think the 5 yr old would be able to handle it then :eek:

Matt

PaulO
12-04-2001, 11:25 AM
Go out into the ocean when there are huge swells with really long periods then take your speed reading downhill! Waterfalls work too!!! Or, just do what most performance boat owners do - Lie!
PaulO