PDA

View Full Version : Lake of the Ozarks

DonziBuoy
04-14-2003, 09:28 AM
Finally after 3 trips on the lake, I finished off a tank of gas ( filled up again at $2.60 at the dock for premium!!). This weekend, with beautiful weather was my wife's maiden voyage. She had given me a list of rules: Don't go fast, don't go over big wakes fast, don't go where the other boats are, and put the bimini top up. If anyone knows the Lake of the Ozarks, it ranks #3 in boating accidents for very good reason: we have more big *ss cigarette boats per capita with more yahoos who own them than any other place in the country. We saw a 60 + foot tunnel hull boat, which probably was doing around 100 MPH so pass by us. It was so loud that it shook our boat! As I understand the laws of physics, if you have a small body of water and put more and more big boats in this body, eventually some of them are going to start hitting each other. I grew up outside NYC on the LI Sound where I thought I saw it all. Believe me, there is more boat chop here than any place in the world. At speed I could run with the big dogs but my kidneys would not allow too much time of this. Also, I am still afraid of breaking something (besides myself) on my baby. However, the 18 seems to ahndle 90 % of most chop out there. The boat ran like a champ, we cruised from mile marker 3 to mile marker 25 and back, and another 40 miles on just a quarter tank. At 2200 rpm, the speedo said 29 mph. this seemed to be the best cruising speed as well as the most comfortable. Occasionally I tried to open her up but my wife was making so much noise, the fastest I got was 50 mph at around 3900 rpm. This boat is fast enough for me. Every time we tied up at a bathroom run, people would come over and say "what a cute boat" I don't know if they were complimenting me or comparing my boat to the 35 ft BAJA next to me. Lost a bimini cover, anyone know where I can get one to match the teal color of tehe bimini top and boat? Also has anyone figured out a nice way to tie down the top? as long as the wife is aboard, I am going to have to have it on. Jimbouy

BS
04-14-2003, 02:27 PM
Jimbouy,

Try the Gravois Arm, I was down last weekend and the channel was rough, but as soon as I turned onto the Gravois it was much calmer.

Bill

DonziBuoy
04-14-2003, 09:35 PM
Thanks Bill,

I think we went there. That was much calmer - I did notice the MO Police in there following me - I am sure he was wondering about hte FL numbersI still have.
Bill, what kind of Boat do you have?

SkiBeeZ71
04-14-2003, 10:42 PM
How about around 3:30 or so in the afternoon when everyone starts leaving Party Cove to head out towards the bars? That is one of the scariest places to be as the people in their Top Guns and the like whip around the bend towards the Grand Glaize bridge on their way out to continue partying.

For those that haven't been there, this is a narrow lake and when something like a 40'+ Sea Ray EC comes flying by, you are going to see one heck of a wake that could ruin your day. Now imagine that scenario multiplied by a countless number of other boats, many in the 30 - 45' range, and you've got a pretty rough lake.

I'm sure there are lots of people here with much more LOTO experience than myself that could tell all sorts of stories about this favorite Midwest boating destination.

BS
04-15-2003, 08:56 AM
Jimbouy,

I have a 1988 Donzi Z33-Crossbow named Silly Girl.
The boat was named after my wife because everyone said she was a silly girl to let me buy it.

We are at the lake most weekends, if you see us stop and we will buy you a beer.

Bill

mjpcowboy
04-15-2003, 10:07 AM
You haven't seen anything until you are on the Lake during one of the Holiday weekends. My 33ZX is over 10,000 lbs with fuel and I have no problem getting it out of the water. Any place from the 4 mile marker to the 26 mm is very rough, however there are places on that lake where you will find some of the calmest water. The Lake of the Ozarks is a blast. If you have a chance you should make it to the lake at least once. I like it so much I just bought a house on the 10 mm. If any of you get to the lake look me up. I still think it would be great to have a Donzi event there if some people are interested. :)

Digger
04-15-2003, 12:10 PM
Rick I like the way you think! I hope I can get out there someday!

SkiBeeZ71
04-15-2003, 07:30 PM
Rick,

Two good friends of mine moved to Ankeny in the fall and I am looking forward to cruising on Saylorville with them this summer. How is this lake? We've heard good things about it, but haven't been out yet.

I should have mentioned earlier that we were planning this past weekend to head back to the Ozarks a few times this summer to cruise amongst the big toys :cool: (most of our boats are in the 22-28' range).

mjpcowboy
04-15-2003, 08:34 PM
SkiBee,

Saylorville Lake stinks, but people have fun regardless. Very small, shallow, dirty lake however has a great deal of performance (I mean baja's) on it. The marina is a run down and no places to pull up to a dock and park. People tie up together in the Saylorville version of the "Party Cove" (most clothes on). The good part about the lake is a lot a great people who like to have fun and welcome all boaters. If you get around this area or LOTH, look me up. :)

SkiBeeZ71
04-15-2003, 08:40 PM
Rick,

Will do!

I hope that there can be some sort of gathering at the Ozarks this summer - also stocked to the gills with Bajas, needs a weekend of Donzis...

BS
04-16-2003, 01:15 PM
Why don't we plan a Donzi get together at the Lake of the Ozarks. I know we would be in.

Bill

SkiBeeZ71
04-16-2003, 10:48 PM
Bill,

I'd definitely be up for that.

We should have some Smithville meetings in the interim. Too bad it's going to be raining here all weekend. frown

z22owner
04-17-2003, 11:36 AM
Count me in to guys. We live in KC and have a 22' Donzi.

Let me know. My wife is always up for a lake party.

Kevin

33 Daytona
04-18-2003, 07:22 AM
count us in for Saylorville or Ozarks!

BS
04-18-2003, 07:38 AM
We don't have a trailer, so can't make Smithville, but I think we need to pick a weekend at the Lake of the Ozarks and do it.

How about Memorial Weekend.

Bill

mjpcowboy
04-18-2003, 09:27 AM
Memorial weekend sounds fine for me.

SkiBeeZ71
04-18-2003, 05:52 PM
I think I might be able to run down for part of Memorial Day weekend as well.

I also saw on OSO last night that the Formula owners are planning a rendezvous at the Ozarks on July 25-27 (same weekend as the Lake Winnipesaukee 5th Annual Poker Run). Between a few of us, all of the Cigarettes that live on that lake, plus throw in a few Magnum owners and there could be an "All Aronow Weekend" at LOTO. :D