PDA

View Full Version : The Shakedown...

Rootsy
04-13-2003, 07:00 PM
With such wonderful weather this afternoon and having run on the hose yesterday i was convinced it was time to shake her down to make sure there were no bugs...

Ranman this one is for you... will you ride with me now? :(

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jaroot110.jpg

at 5:30 pm Sunday evening it all went down... about 50ish here today.. not a cloud in the sky, my lake has just a bit of a ripple... it's 3/4 of a mile of pure dragstrip... not another soul on it... PERFECT

so here i sit idling along on the lake... 25 cleaver i bought off of ebay and 370 or so (who knows really cept god???) hp under the hatch... and god only knows what for a gear ratio in the SS... have to get after it

she has a bit of a vibration about 2000 - 3000 rpm... i replaced the u-joints.. maybe i just don't have one centered cause she also vibrates turning a bit... and likes to blow out coming on plane when you give her some gas - trim all the way in... prop? i donno... but HOLY FREAKIN WHA when she grabs... who strapped the rocket to the transom when i wasn't looking? talk about acceleration! from 2500 to 5500 rpm in well under 10 seconds... or just a hair over 3/8 of a mile from a dead stop... trim trim trim... give her all the trim i want and she is just ROCK SOLID... not a twitch of instability...

I found out right away that 5500 rpm on the rev limiter wasn't gonna be enough... so i turn the dials to 6K...

after the third pass i turn around for #4... vibration turning... yep has to be a u-joint dammit... smash the throttle... fast as i can trim she just keeps gaining speed so i just trim her til she won't trim anymore... 6000 rpm by half lake easily... just gaining speed like a mother... i shut her down at the end cause i was just waiting for her to toss her cookies at 6K... no fighting it... no chinewalk... no squirrly, no instability.. just point her straight and go... i even crossed my own wake at 70+ and all you felt was a bit of a bump bump bump... whatever this is I LOVE IT!

and the final results... and i call it a night... cause i am FREAKING GEEKED! it can only get better!

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jaroot111.jpg

i need more prop, 6K is just too scary for my poor cast crank, unbalanced sbc.... now where'd i put that 27P 4 blade Quad IV? :D :D :D

mattyboy
04-13-2003, 07:13 PM
FRIGGIN A ROOTSY!!!!
NICE WORK

MATT

MOP
04-13-2003, 07:17 PM
Freakin excellent! Would go another mile or two faster in salt, but who wants to do the salt thing when you can run in Drinkin water! :D

Ranman
04-13-2003, 08:07 PM
First pic: Looks good, sure I'll ride with ya Root.

Second pic: Hell no I ain't riding with you! That's scary fast for a 16.

Nice work there Jamie. Looks ike you'll be having a fun season.

CDMA
04-13-2003, 08:08 PM
Awesome Rootsy.

Chris

Going to be looking at exhaust pipes this season... :)

Sam
04-13-2003, 08:12 PM
That's my boy ! Let's go chase a freighter.

Sam wink

BERTRAM BOY
04-13-2003, 09:10 PM
Rootsy,
What was the top speed pre-alpha SS?
BERTRAM BOY :D :D :D

Rootsy
04-13-2003, 09:14 PM
68.0 gps was the best i saw with the GEN II and i had to drive the heck out of it to gnab that...

boldts
04-13-2003, 10:46 PM
Jamie, AWSOME man! Just remember to wave and smile as you blow by me OK? :D

ToonaFish
04-13-2003, 11:06 PM
Are you sure it wasn't your new GPS instead of all the bloody sweaty tears poured into the boat? :D

AWESOME!!!

Walt. H.
04-14-2003, 02:25 AM
eek! O"BOY!! Way to go Jamie, Tell me all that difference was just from the SS Drive? Or did you also say you were doing some other magic to the engine as well earlier this year? Either way congratulation! One more thing, You'll need more then a 27" pitch prop and folks what am I saying he'll be doing "O" My God" 80-82>legit mph.Once he brings the rpm's down by paddling more water, and more paddle more speed! biggrin. eek!

Fish boy
04-14-2003, 05:57 AM
Rootsy, if ranman won't ride with you, I will. Sounds like she is running great.

Digger
04-14-2003, 06:12 AM
VERY nicely done Jamie, that has got to feel GREAT.

smoothie
04-14-2003, 08:26 AM
Way to go James!!! I bet she sounded pretty good at 6k eek! You better put a neck brace on when you give the 27 quad 4 a whirl,it will be like riding in a old muscle car when the 4 blades bite in :D Engineers.....they are never statisfied :cool:

DonzigoJR
04-14-2003, 09:05 AM
eek! eek! eek! eek! eek! Thats fast.....

BUIZILLA
04-14-2003, 09:13 AM
Hmmm...

pretty impressive..

very impressive actually..

nice mod.

J

roadtrip se
04-14-2003, 10:45 AM
Can't wait to see her do that at AOTH!

I really hope there is a life vest involved
in the picture somewhere...

Six weeks and counting...

Todd

tamburello
04-14-2003, 02:38 PM
Wow! Now thats moooovin'. This winters wrench turning really paid off. Looks like you'll be showing a ot more boats what your transom looks like. See ya for the trip down to AOTH.

- Jeff

waleyetwo
04-14-2003, 04:13 PM
good job wild man those are some nice # eek! :cool: biggrin.