PDA

View Full Version : 302 OIL PAN HELPPPP?

nick
07-21-2002, 10:14 AM
ON A HOLMAN MOODY 302 OIL PAN. ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE ENGINE, ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE OIL PAN THERE IS A BOLT APROX 1/4"DIA. ON A ANGLE INTO THE PAN. IT APPEARS THAT I AM LEAKING OIL FROM THIS LOCATION.1. WHAT IS THE BOLT AND PLATES FUNCTION? 2. CAN I TRY TO SNUG IT UP OR TAKE IT OUT AND PUT SEALANT ON THIS AREA WITH OUT ANY PROBLEMS? 3. HAS ANYBODY HAD THE OIL PAN OFF TO SEE WHAT IS ON THE IN SIDE OF THE PAN? THANKS IN ADVANCE THESCOOTER 28' BERTRAM BARON WITH TWIN 302S PLEASE HELP WITH SUGGESTIONS I HAVE OIL IN MY BILGE. :)

Moody Blu'
07-21-2002, 10:23 AM
I'm pretty sure that is just for another dip stick....
I have a 351w holman moody oil pan...
same bolt, I always thought of putting a dip stick there, but I stayed with the original dip stick(through the timing cover)
you should be able to fix it no hassles. wink

David Ochs
07-21-2002, 11:34 AM
Scooter, Can't beleive you're posting this. I just posted the same thing last week. I'm fighting with a leak in the same exact spot. It's making crazy. Let's figure out what to do, I've had the motor out too long as it is!

MOP
07-21-2002, 06:41 PM
This is a during the season no take apart fix. Get some P/S 890 Class A fuel cell sealant, most any aircraft facilty will have some. Not some big airport. Drain the oil, acetone clean the pan surface. Apply a layer about 1/8 thick over lapping any possible leakage area let cure at least 48 hours. Only a shot gun blast will remove it once cured. You may actually leave it on several years. Never use it where you want to get it apart again. It is appoved by the FAA it is totaly safe. You can order it ovewr the internet, maybe all teh leaking pans should get together and chip in!

David Ochs
07-21-2002, 11:08 PM
Thanks M.O.B, I'll go look for the fuel cell sealant. Although some time will be required to clean off all the RTV I've globbed on, I feel better having something more permanent. This all seems a bit ridiculous for such a minor leak, but none of us want any oil at all in the bilge. Thanks again for the lead.

MOP
07-22-2002, 08:06 PM
That stuff will last a dogs age, I was a sheet metal mechanic and fuel cell tech in the service. We used that stuff in the fuel cells on the B52's. Was a scary job crawing inside the wing to find leaks, we used all bronze tools and a good old cualking. Had to cut the old stuff out clean well and re shot the seams. If you ever saw one of those buggers take off and saw how much the wings bend up it will give you great faith in the stuff I posted above.

David Ochs
07-25-2002, 07:17 PM
I've taken M.O.P.'s advice and have ordered
PR-1422B2 to seal the oil pan. The company (Bergdahl Assoc. in Reno) didn't have the PS-890 in stock. They assured me that the specs. would be similar. The stuff is pricey though, 1 pint with shipping is over $50-, but gladly paid! Sure will be nice to get at least one ride before winter.

Gearhead99
07-25-2002, 07:24 PM
MOP is right. I too worked on B52's. The wings are allowed to flex 13 feet. Yep, 13 feet.

THESCOOTER
07-25-2002, 09:23 PM
thaks for the info i will do that in late oct. or nov. do not what to stop running with a mistake for now. i put absobant pads under the area bilge cleaner and pump the bilge water into a 5 gallon bucket by hand pump for now, and dump it in a large container at my marinia with used oil thanks the scooter

MOP
07-26-2002, 08:13 AM
For now why not take drain the oil, tilt the boat to the oposite side to get the remaining oil away from the leaking area. Then use acetone to get it nice and clean an smear a nice layer on, let it cure get a little paint on the area. Then do your good job later on. Benifit clean bilge and no possibilty of pumping any oil into our play pool.