PDA

View Full Version : 16 with 350 GM block

Danny
04-12-2003, 05:30 PM
I am contemplating putting a Chris Craft 350 ci 3oo hp Covette engine (was in my GT) in my 16. It has a high rise intake mannifold with a Carter 4 barrel with the original flame arrestor. Who else has a 16 with a 350 in it? Any chance of doing this without altering the hatch?
Danny

Sam
04-12-2003, 05:40 PM
Both Jamie Root and I have 350's in our sixteens. I run an Edelbrock intake and I think James does as well. As for the height we have not made any mods to the hatch. I think Jamie is a little closer to the hatch due to his flame aresstor being little taller than my K&N.

Sam

<small>[ April 12, 2003, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: Sam ]</small>

Dredgeking
04-12-2003, 07:17 PM
i have a zz4 345 hp 350ci gm crate engine in mine. mine fits under the hatch. i think i may have trouble trying to fit exhaust manifolds with semi-high risers. not a whole bunch of spare room in there with a 350.

Rootsy
04-12-2003, 08:59 PM
yep, sure do... it's really fun to work on the front of the motor or get past the exhaust to like change oil and stuff... have in stall 90 degrees to C/L of boat and rotate once through the hatch...

i run an Edelbrock Performer RPM Airgap intake w/ holley and a Zenith flame arrester and i have 1/4 inch of clearance between it and the hatch... stock center riser merc or aftermarket exhaust exiting in a stock bravo or alpha location should pose no clearance issues.. unless you end up going with HIGH exhaust risers... or alter your X dim...

Ross
04-13-2003, 08:26 AM
Danny, how about installing that engine, turning the outdrive upside down, putting on a bit of an extention , throwing an airplane prop on it,, And you have a scoot !!!
Ok, if this 350 is from the GT, what might we find now under the hatch of he GT ??

Danny
04-22-2003, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the input, nice to know it will fit in the 16 without changing the engine cover profile.
Ross last week I may contemplated the Scoot transformation, I haven't decided what I am doing with the GT yet. I was actually thinking about selling it and if the buyer was going to repower I would keep that engine. If you know anyone that may be interested give me a call.
Got the Bertram in the water yet? Hopefully I'll get something in the water this weekend and make my way through the ice to the cottage.
Danny

MOP
04-22-2003, 06:23 PM
Are there any issues with reversion using the late automotive cams many years back I put a 327 300 in a buddys boat with log style manifolds. We endid up pulling the cam, the one that was in that block sucked alot of water back to the point the rear plugs were wet when you pulled them after shut down.