PDA

View Full Version : Sweet 16 Questions

Scubado
04-12-2003, 04:45 PM
I need a little help here from any 16 owners.

First is a question about power. The boat is going to be primarily a ski boat. Will the 4.3 V6 pull a 200 pounder out of the water without drowning him? Has anyone ever installed a swim platform on this boat? How important are trim tabs on this boat? What is the best seat configuration 2+3 or wrap around? Any advice owners (past or present) might have for a first time boat owner considering the sweet 16 would be great!

Thanks everyone!

Rob M
04-12-2003, 04:54 PM
I have that boat/engine config.

No problem pulling a 200 lb-er up quick and on plane.

No need for trim tabs.

Try to go with the 2+3 - the wrap around seating looks cool but is inconvenient for your front passenger - just my .02 cents.

MOP
04-12-2003, 05:04 PM
If you tandem ski find a prop with an inch or two less just for skiing, I have tabs and know it is the most important thing anyone can do for 16, it does away with the porpoising and gets you on plane much quicker and allows you to compensate for load both fore and aft, side to side which on any deep V is very important.

Sam
04-12-2003, 06:39 PM
The sixteens are very sensitive to wieght, I would recommend tabs. As for pulling 200 lbs I wouldn't think you sholud have any problem if you are proped right. I like the 2 + 3 seating, just my two cents.

Sam :)

DON N.
04-12-2003, 07:38 PM
ONE THING TO REMEMBER IS MAKE SURE YOUR OBSERVER IS COMFERABLE FACING SKIER AND YOU WORRY ABOUT ONLY DRIVING THE BOAT,YOUR OBSERVER WILL LET YOU AND SKIER KNOW WHATS HAPPENING.ALSO MAKE SURE AS THE DRIVER NO ONE STANDS UP IN BOAT WHEN IT IS UNDER WAY.SEEMS LIKE WITH ENGINE OFF YOU CAN CLIMB BACK INTO BOAT BY STEPPING ON OUTDRIVE WITH SKI ROPE IN HAND,MOST SKIER'S ARE AGILE. ENJOY :D

Scubado
04-13-2003, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the input guys! My little sister is shopping for her first boat. Any advice or suggestions you can give her are more than welcome. Do you agree that the sweet 16 would be a good boat for her to start out with? She dosn't have much boating experience on her own yet.

Sam
04-13-2003, 02:42 PM
At first blush I would think that if this is her first boat she might want to stay with one that is a little more main stream. Any of the smaller classics are great boats but there are trade offs with them.

Sam

MOP
04-13-2003, 04:44 PM
I think the 16 is a grat bang for the buck and if kept up will hold its value very well. There are a few V6 16's around here and they seem to pull skiers very well. And again I feel tabs are a great investment, it improves the boat greatly all around.

CrackerJack
04-13-2003, 09:31 PM
Have a 16' with the 4.3L and have no trouble pulling a skier. I installed trim tabs and it does
make a positive improvement.