PDA

View Full Version : Merc vs. Volvo...interesting read

Tony
01-07-2003, 07:43 PM
This is decent reading, obviously Mercury's slant since it is right on their home site!

Mercury vs. Volvo (http://beta.mercurymarine.com/mercruiser_volvo)

MOP
01-08-2003, 06:50 PM
Pitty they don't comment on how quick they were to adopt Volvos technology when Volvo patents ran out. The are not to quick to show pictures from any marine shops with lots Welfare drives blown up. Almost no OMC or Volvos in the fixit shop! Volvo has had few upgrades they don't break Merc had a bunch!

Gearhead99
01-08-2003, 06:59 PM
The Volvo might not be a pretty and sleek as the Merc. But, believe me they WILL take a beating.

I use to run my 18 2+3, 351W[375HP on dyno] with 200HP of NOS added on top for a real kick in the A$$ when you punched the button, through a Volvo 270. With nose cone and modified merc. SS cleaver prop. Never a problem. An Honest 75mph on radar and on the button. Lots of air time.

You couldn't kill it.

Next boat, Cig. 24' had a TRS. Bullet proof too. But, big and heavy and requires transmission in the boat.

Ranman
01-08-2003, 07:10 PM
Blah blah blah, Volvo this and Volvo that...

I'll take a Mercury MerCruiser any day over Volvo or OMC. Everybody always comments on how durable Volvos are compared to Mercury drives. The thing is, it's the ONLY advantage (if you even call it that) that Volvos have and this is only counting the Alpha drives is reliability. You can't even compare a Bravo to the Volvos. Mercs are newer, faster, lighter, and most importantly, more popular.

The old Volvos may never break, but don't expect much in the way of performance either.

As much as I hate bandwagon things, boats powered by Mercury are preferred by the majority over Volvo and OMC. Personally I wouldn't even consider a boat without Merc power. It's what most people want and it provides better resale value.

If the Volvos are so great, how come I never see them hanging off the back of winning race boats? Better yet, how come I never see them on ANY race boats?

Ralph Savarese
01-08-2003, 08:03 PM
Nobody ever said faster but durable yes!

Ranman
01-08-2003, 09:19 PM
I should post one exception. I WOULD buy a vintage Donzi that was originally equipped with a Volvo drive only because the Volvo's were OEM back then. I'd probably think about converting to merc though.

mattyboy
01-09-2003, 10:14 AM
all valid points

Here is my take on the subject

alpha with trim vs volvo no trim = VOLVO
the alpha is just not tough enough would and alpha still be on the back of my boat after 30 some odd years no way would have been rebuilt replaced 3-4 times maybe alpha if i'm running a 4 banger

Volvo vs Bravo = Bravo by a nose
both tough drives bravo handles high hp and is faster but the volvo is still tougher. The bravo will give you more prop selections
all though the new volvo probably aren't hard to find props for

racing
merc hands down they have marketed for the race indusrty volvo tried but couldn't break in
fast is what is needed with short durability just get me thru the race and I rebuild after
Not the mentality of the weekend boater they want to use it for a long time.
racing is all about who's got the hot hand, if one boat would win a race with a volvo some might try it.
Plus the factory classes only install merc

as a side note chris craft is only selling volvo on it's new boats marketed as luxury performance boats with high reliability
you can get merc but special order.

Matt