PDA

View Full Version : BLACK TRANSOM

catch 22
01-07-2003, 05:16 PM
I own a 1998 22 classic ; it has a corsa exhaust with the rubber flaps. Are the flaps the reason why the transom gets black from the exhaust? Would the straight cut or angle cut extentions help this? It seems that I have a hard time getting the black off the transom everytime I wash it

Dalelama
01-07-2003, 05:42 PM
You're probably running a little rich... or idleing a low rpm for long periods of time... or BOTH.

You'll probably smell gas if it's on the rich side...

Greg K
01-07-2003, 05:43 PM
I'm going to say your motor has a carb, use to get it on my 16..cured mine by adjusting the idle mixture screws on carb, they were too rich. Your motor could also be running rich on the bottom end or all around. Timing could be off as well.

HyperDonzi
01-07-2003, 06:46 PM
Or, It could be as simple as a clogged air filter. Do you know how to check your plugs? If they are sooty black then it is rich, white is lean and tan/brown is perfect.

catch 22
01-07-2003, 06:53 PM
I just purchased the boat in November 2002 and took it to Dollar Offshore Marine in Ft. Lauderdale to have everything checked out before the warrenty expires. The engine past with flying colors. It's a 454 MPI mag. with 385hp. It idles at 650 rpm. No black smoke visable. Runs SWEET.

Sagbay32
01-07-2003, 07:07 PM
I use the ArmorAll Cleaner with the light blue trigger. It takes the black off no problem and does not leave streaks. It is also easy on the finish.

Mike

Ranman
01-07-2003, 07:29 PM
Catch22,

What you're experiencing is normal. I run a multi-port fuel injected 350 MAG in my 97 18 Classic and get the same thing to some degree. Rich carb settings will be even worse, but you still get some soot even with a perfectly tuned fuelie motor.

For me, after a day out on the water, there is always a bit of soot on the transom that wipes away easily when I go back on the trailer and wipe down the boat and scum line. This way she's always clean and it only takes a few seconds at the end of the day.

If you're on a lift right on the water or don't towel dry after each use, the soot will build up and get nasty. I would get a good spray hull cleaner like StarBrite and go at it with that. It should come right off with the StarBrite. If you're on the lift, use the StarBrite and wipe her down after every few outings.

Lastly, This topic has been covered in the past so I know there it more info in the archives. Click the SEARCH link and use "soot" as a keyword. Let us know how you make out.

I'll save you the work. Here's the link.

http://www.donzi.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000438#000001

Ranman

catch 22
01-07-2003, 07:42 PM
I guess its the nature of the beast . I'll give the armorall with the blue trigger a try. Thanks for the tip Mike. Jim :)

catch 22
01-07-2003, 08:03 PM
Ranman, Thanks for the info ref. archives. Really helped out. Jim :cool: :)